Taking in a burlesque show

Going to a burlesque show hopefully next month. never been to one before and really looking forward to it.

Whos been to one before and what did you think? x

hm well it sounds interesting.

ive never been to one but my uni has a burlesque society where you join and they teach you the moves ect. you have to do the SU's naked calendar and a prformance though which puts me off

poppy904 - I'm going to one tomorrow (Friday) so will report back to you over the weekend I went to one a few years ago and remember it was very tasteful and fun.

JayGee wrote:

poppy904 - I'm going to one tomorrow (Friday) so will report back to you over the weekendExternal Media I went to one a few years ago and remember it was very tasteful and fun.

a couple of my friends run them. about a year ago i was asked if i wanted to join one, but was embarrassed about my baby belly (even though everyone else there has had kids too) but feeling more confident now and very interested now! x

Go for it poppy904 - you show them what you've got!

Nexas wrote:

I have, a few of the Suicide Girls were doing one at the Mean Fiddler in London and it was amazing! I love Burlesque, it's so sexy yet so classy at the same time!

thats what interests me. it shows that women (and men) can be sexy without being slutty or tacky! x

i think i would join the SU group if i didnt have to do the calendar. might be worht looking at in freshers group, its a way to get the training for free. professional lessons can be expensive

LoveHoney - Carly wrote:

Also, keep your eyes peeled on LoveHoney soon for some burlesque/exotic dance fun!

That sounds very interesting! i'm sure my OH would love that!

My daughter finished school last year and is in college now but. . .

They had an american style prom as they all seem to be doing now on they're last day/night of school and bought really expensive ball gowns/dresses etc and had a fantastic time. The next night she told me they were all having a party in one of the girls houses as a final schoolie fling, then she pulls out all this burlesque gear as the theme of the shindig is only burlesque! They (around 30 girls) were all dressing up in burlesque gear as the girls mother is a dancer here in liverpool and organised it all.

All the lads(school friends) would've given their left. . . and right arms to get in but were all banned as it was a girls only thing! The dad of the house got kicked into touch for the night too and stayed in a local hotel apparently.

And no, I still haven't seen the daughters pictures from the night!!

SG69 x

miss_nat wrote:

LoveHoney - Carly wrote:

Also, keep your eyes peeled on LoveHoney soon for some burlesque/exotic dance fun!

That sounds very interesting! i'm sure my OH would love that!

can't wait to see the burlesque fun from LH

Husband has a thing for Dita !!

Hi Eljay. I think we've all got a thing for Dita

SG69 x

I'm a burlesque fan (as in appreciator not a lot of feathers) though my tastes run toward the traditional British style rather than the American. Though most of the people that I know of dance the latter style. I'd absolutely recommend The Ministry of Burlesque site if you've not been on it. They run classes too, I've taken one of Diva's and it was fab. If anyone is in the EMids I can recommend Pitty Patt in Nottingham and Hurly at DEDA in Derby and The Appleby in Leics.
X

SEXYGET 69 wrote:

My daughter finished school last year and is in college now but. . .

They had an american style prom as they all seem to be doing now on they're last day/night of school and bought really expensive ball gowns/dresses etc and had a fantastic time. The next night she told me they were all having a party in one of the girls houses as a final schoolie fling, then she pulls out all this burlesque gear as the theme of the shindig is only burlesque! They (around 30 girls) were all dressing up in burlesque gear as the girls mother is a dancer here in liverpool and organised it all.

All the lads(school friends) would've given their left. . . and right arms to get in but were all banned as it was a girls only thing! The dad of the house got kicked into touch for the night too and stayed in a local hotel apparently.

And no, I still haven't seen the daughters pictures from the night!!

SG69 x

I went to one on Wed night in Liverpool! It was great! I'm only quoting this post as apparently "Mille Dollar" is Liverpools own! Could of been her.

It was excellent, I went with my girlfriend and found it more sexy than overtly sexual, It did however have it's moments! It was a fun thing to watch with a partner, what man can complain about scantily clad women undressing infront of him with his other halfs permission! Nice!

Right, Urban Dictionary defines burlesque like this - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=burlesque and in the description for tonight's show it had promised "the hottest emerging burlesque talent...hosted by the notorious High Tease review.. that will amuse, titillate and invoke the spirit of the festival".

So I'm not expecting Dita Von Teese, Gypsy, Cabaret , Moulin Rougeor Chicago but I'm not thinking we'd get -

• a show that is scheduled to start at 7pm, with doors open at 6.45, but not actually starting til 7.30, with the acts still rehearsing in full view of the audeince.
  • an MC with no mike stand - he was OK but doing a bad impersonation of Joel Gray
  • one solitary fan dancer (who was OK but nothing special)
  • some woman, sitting on the bar in her PJs and a blond Amy Winehouse wig with an effing puppet, miming badly to some old songs
  • someone doing that wierd thing where they cover up their top half and make like their belly is their face and doing a "belly dance" - that and the puppet really creeped me out (so much so, that I said "If they bring on a clown, I'm off!")
  • a "drunken" cowboy, who so far has been in the dance cage, galloping around, pretending to drink, then starting to strip off, only to reveal a very pale and chubby body,who then stops and falls over "drunk"
  • having to move your attention from the MC, to another stage then to the bar, meaning you missed bits as you moved.
  • 2 average dancers m/f giving us "the history of dance" from the Victorian age and missing out the Tango and Dirty Dancing and trying to get the audience to hand jive!!!

plus a bar that charges £4 for a bottle of peach cider and sells draught coke that tastes like Panda cola.

What I had expected -

• one or two half-decent strippers/ exotic dancers, male or female (tango, belly dancers)
  • male strippers/ dancers to be healthy looking and acting sober
  • some signs of rehearsal/ preparation
  • comedy to be funny and topical (references to the miners' strike and the Falklands War FFS and a George Formby parody - BC thought he said George Foreman)
  • a sense of the risque and some titillation (we were promised some tassle twirling then told it wasn't happening)

OK, it was only £7 but still for about 1 hour of "entertainment" that's pushing it! We left before the end and believe me it wasn't going to get much better. It was like a burlesque evening put on by the Wee Free Church of Scotland and some 1980s feminists! The highlight of the evening for me was, when asked to sit in the other bar while they were still setting up, Gee and BC noticed a pool table and proceeded to do a good impression of The Color of Money

I hope other folks have a better time of it.

oh that must be so dissapointing, sorry that it was so bad

Sorry you had a crap night JayGee *big hugs* x x x

Thanks sweetlove666 and Morbidia - you know how it is when you have been looking forward to a night out with your loves and when it's piss, you feel like it's your fault? Even though we managed to salvage it with some nice food afterwards, I still feel like it's my bad

Yeah, i always feel like that hun.

But you gotta try not to, you know it isnt your fault, so dont be punishing yourself for something that isnt your fault x x x x x *hugs*

I'm hoping to make it up to Gee sometime soon (still sitting here hopefully in my fishies and little black number) and I'm going camping with BC on Monday. Ta muchly for the hugs - back to you