2 Likes

Well done @MsSubExperimenter ! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thank you @Peitho :blush:

Congratulations @MsSubExperimenter! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @WillC :blush:

1 Like

Late notice, but I haven’t had chance to do a quiz this week. Sorry guys. Hopefully be back next week. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

No worries, we appreciate it when you can! Hope everything is okay @Ian_Chimp :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Second what @MsSubExperimenter said! Hope you’re okay @Ian_Chimp :yellow_heart:

1 Like

No problem! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Why have I never seen this thread? :no_mouth:
Would love to join in.

5 Likes

Usually a new quiz on a Wednesday!

1 Like

Been looking here and sandbox and can’t figure out the answer replies. Brain fog :exploding_head:

1 Like

Click the settings icon top right of the reply box and click on the little triangle. Between the brackets of summary delete “Summary” and put something like “Purring Pussy’s Answers” that will be your reply title. Then in the “This Reply Will Be Hidden” delete that text and write in your answers, they will be hidden when you hit Reply. Hopefully that works for you. Have a practice in The Sandbox. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t going to do one this week, but now I know you want in I think I can pull something together. :slightly_smiling_face:

And here’s a template you can copy and paste into your reply window if you don’t get on with the wizard. :+1:

[details=“My Answers”]

:blue_heart: Geography

:heartpulse: Entertainment

:yellow_heart: History

:poop: Art and Literature

:green_heart: Science and Nature

:orange_heart: Sprot and Leisure

[/details]

3 Likes

(09/06/21)

The Great Hump Day Quiz! 🐪

Welcome to this Wednesday’s Great Hump Day Quiz!

We’re always trying to add more people to our quiz gang, so check out how to hide your answers, pop them in a post, and I’ll add you to the Scoreboard. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Where do the questions come from?

I found a mysterious old box of trivial pursuit, with even more trivial pursuits stuffed inside. It is a treasure trove of quiz questions, and all of them really old. :slightly_smiling_face: Perfect fodder for a Hump Day special. :+1:

Piecing together a few bits and bobs, there were three sets, and a couple of the instructions. One is a Genus Edition, dated 2001, and the other the 20th Anniversary one, 2004. There’s also another old style board and questions in there that looks/smells quite a bit older. That’s the box they’re all stuffed in, and that has ©1983 printed on it. No instructions, so not sure if that’s accurate. That one says it’s a Master Game Genus Edition.

(Edit: Now with an added sprinkling of more recent questions too :+1::slightly_smiling_face:)

So, there you go. It’s a bit random, but it should add to the fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

Categories:

💙 Geography
  1. What do the national flags of Albania, Moldova and Montenegro have in common - they feature an eagle, they include the colour red, or both?

2. How many avenues radiate from the Arc de Triomphe?

3. Where would you go to visit Stonehenge?

4. What is the Italian equivalent of a motorway?

5. Crocodiles and alligators live in the Florida Everglades. True or false?

💗Entertainment
  1. Gnarls Barkley, Seal and Mark Morrison have all had hit singles with different songs that have the same title - what is it?

2. Who played Ronnie Barker’s cellmate in Porridge?

3. What US president gave his name to the high school that was the focus of TV series Glee?

4. Which actor changed his name from Cappola after flopping in one of his uncle’s films?

5. Which highly principled lawyer topped the American Film Industry’s 2003 list of the greatest movie heroes of all time?

💛 History
  1. Which university hosts the annual Ig Noble Prize awards, which recognise questionable scientific achievements, such as devising a method to identify narcissists by examining their eyebrows?

2. Who was nearly kidnapped in The Mall on March 20, 1974?

3. How many presidents did Argentina have in the two weeks from 20 December 2001 to 4 January 2002?

4. What happpened to the silver tea service owned by President Washington’s wife?

5. What Latin inscription, meaning ‘an ornament and a safeguard’, appeared on the edge of the first British £1 coins in 1983?

💩 Art & Literature
  1. Which of the following is not an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical - Cats, The Phantom of the Opera or The Producers?

2. Which branch of the arts brought fame to Martha Graham?

3. What’s the term for the opinionated style of journalism pioneered by Hunter S. Thompson?

4. What was the name of Quint’s boat in Peter Benchley’s novel Jaws?

5. Which member of the Peanuts gang once said: “There’s no heavier burden than a great potential”?

💚 Science & Nature
  1. How many yards make a mile?

2. What two metals form the alloy white gold?

3. Which of the following is not a fruit - pumpkin, avocado or rhubarb?

4. What vast object’s movement can be demonstrated in a laboratory by hanging up a Foucault pendulum?

5. What’s the most plentiful gas on Earth - hydrogen, oxygen or nitrogen?

🧡 Sprot & Leisure
  1. The ‘rational dress’ movement in the 19th century gained momentum when women became interested in which sprot?

2. What colour are the Lippizaner stallions used at the Spanish Riding School of Vienna?

3. Which athletics event was originally run from a church in one village to one in the next village?

4. Where on a cricket pitch would you find a chain?

5. Which cycling road race was held for the first time in 2015, starting in the seaside town of Bridlington?

Scoreboard

Total :blue_heart: :heartpulse: :yellow_heart: :poop: :green_heart: :orange_heart:
@FL45H 18 4 1 1 3 5 4
@Peitho 16½ 3 2 1 5 3
@Ian_Chimp 16 2 3 2 2 4 3
@WillC 15 3 5 1 3 2 1
@MsSubExperimenter 14 3 1 2 3
The Answers

| :blue_heart: Geography | :heartpulse: Entertainment
— | — | —

1. Both | 1. Crazy
  2. Twelve | 2. Richard Beckinsdale
  3. Salisbury Plain (Wiltshire) | 3. William McKinley
  4. An autostrada | 4. Nicholas Cage
  5. True | 5. Atticus Finch
    |
    :yellow_heart: History |
    :poop: Arts & Literature |
  6. Harvard | 1. The Producers
  7. Princess Anne | 2. Dance
  8. Five | 3. Gonzo
  9. It became the USA’s first coins | 4. The Orca
  10. Decus et tutamen | 5. Linus
    |
    :green_heart: Science & Nature |
    :orange_heart: Sprot & Leisure |
  11. 1,760 | 1. Cycling
  12. Gold and silver (the internet doesn’t mention silver, but does say nickel and palladium, and some others) | 2. White (but actually light just grey)
  13. Rhubarb | 3. Steeplechase
  14. The Earth | 4. Between the wickets
  15. Nitrogen | 5. Tour de Yorkshire
4 Likes

@Ian_Chimp how specific do we need to be for blue 3? County? Country?

The more specific the better. :+1: (no points for country though :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

So county is acceptable then yay :grinning:

WillC Answers

Geography

1, Both?
2, 12
3, Salisbury Plain
4, No Idea
5, False i think, only Alligators.

Entertainment

1, Crazy
2, Richard Beckinsale
3, William McKinley (Thank you OH for making me watch!)
4, Nicholas Cage
5, Atticus Finch?

History

1, Open University?
2, Princess Anne?
3, 3?
4, Made into false teeth?
5, No idea

Art and Literature

1, The Producers
2, No idea
3, Gonzo
4, The Orca
5, Lucy?

Science and Nature

1, No idea
2, Gold and Nickel
3, Pumpkin?
4, The Earth?
5, Oxygen?

Sprot and Leisure

1, Tennis?
2, White! (I remember the tv series White Horses!)
3, Relay?
4, In the clubhouse toilet?
5, No idea

2 Likes
I’ll give it a shot

:blue_heart: Geography

1. What do the national flags of Albania, Moldova and Montenegro have in common - they feature an eagle, they include the colour red, or both? Both?
  2. How many avenues radiate from the Arc de Triomphe? 12? Some big and some not!
  3. Where would you go to visit Stonehenge? The middle of a field on a bit of a hill in Wiltshire.
  4. What is the Italian equivalent of a motorway? Autoruta?
  5. Crocodiles and alligators live in the Florida Everglades. True or false? False, think only alligators do?

:heartpulse:Entertainment

1. Gnarls Barkley, Seal and Mark Morrison have all had hit singles with different songs that have the same title - what is it? Crazy? I know 2/3 did.
  2. Who played Ronnie Barker’s cellmate in Porridge? David Jason? :woman_shrugging:t2:
  3. What US president gave his name to the high school that was the focus of TV series Glee? William McKinley
  4. Which actor changed his name from Cappola after flopping in one of his uncle’s films? Nicolas Cage?
  5. Which highly principled lawyer topped the American Film Industry’s 2003 list of the greatest movie heroes of all time? Erin Brockovich?

:yellow_heart: History

1. Which university hosts the annual Ig Noble Prize awards, which recognise questionable scientific achievements, such as devising a method to identify narcissists by examining their eyebrows? Cambridge?
  2. Who was nearly kidnapped in The Mall on March 20, 1974? Princess Anne?
  3. How many presidents did Argentina have in the two weeks from 20 December 2001 to 4 January 2002? 2?
  4. What happpened to the silver tea service owned by President Washington’s wife? Sank during the Boston Tea Party?
  5. What Latin inscription, meaning ‘an ornament and a safeguard’, appeared on the edge of the first British £1 coins in 1983? No idea

:poop: Art & Literature

1. Which of the following is not an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical - Cats, The Phantom of the Opera or The Producers? The Producers?
  2. Which branch of the arts brought fame to Martha Graham? Cooking?
  3. What’s the term for the opinionated style of journalism pioneered by Hunter S. Thompson? Gonzo?
  4. What was the name of Quint’s boat in Peter Benchley’s novel Jaws? One that isn’t big enough! Smurf!
  5. Which member of the Peanuts gang once said: “There’s no heavier burden than a great potential”? Charlie Brown?

:green_heart: Science & Nature

1. How many yards make a mile? A lot!
  2. What two metals form the alloy white gold? Gold and platinum?
  3. Which of the following is not a fruit - pumpkin, avocado or rhubarb? Rhubarb?
  4. What vast object’s movement can be demonstrated in a laboratory by hanging up a Foucault pendulum? Moon?
  5. What’s the most plentiful gas on Earth - hydrogen, oxygen or nitrogen? Nitrogen?

:orange_heart: Sprot & Leisure

1. The ‘rational dress’ movement in the 19th century gained momentum when women became interested in which sprot? Tennis?
  2. What colour are the Lippizaner stallions used at the Spanish Riding School of Vienna? White/light grey?
  3. Which athletics event was originally run from a church in one village to one in the next village? Steeplechase?
  4. Where on a cricket pitch would you find a chain? Around the boundary?
  5. Which cycling road race was held for the first time in 2015, starting in the seaside town of Bridlington? Tour de Yorkshire?
2 Likes