The Great Pub Quiz Game Thread

Congratulations @LuciousLegs ! :clap::clap::clap:

Definitely the film buff of the group.

Well done all and thanks to @Ian_Chimp for putting these together.

Very very close this week with all of us and especially with @WillC for 1st place.

I will put the hat trick bunnies to good use :yum:

2 Likes

Congratulations @LuciousLegs!! An amazing score, very well deserved winner :partying_face::clap:t2::tada:

Congratulations! :slight_smile:

(26/05/21)

The Great Hump Day Quiz! 🐪

Welcome to this Wednesday’s Great Hump Day Quiz!

We’re always trying to add more people to our quiz gang, so check out how to hide your answers, pop them in a post, and I’ll add you to the Scoreboard. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Where do the questions come from?

I found a mysterious old box of trivial pursuit, with even more trivial pursuits stuffed inside. It is a treasure trove of quiz questions, and all of them really old. :slightly_smiling_face: Perfect fodder for a Hump Day special. :+1:

Piecing together a few bits and bobs, there were three sets, and a couple of the instructions. One is a Genus Edition, dated 2001, and the other the 20th Anniversary one, 2004. There’s also another old style board and questions in there that looks/smells quite a bit older. That’s the box they’re all stuffed in, and that has ©1983 printed on it. No instructions, so not sure if that’s accurate. That one says it’s a Master Game Genus Edition.

(Edit: Now with an added sprinkling of more recent questions too :+1::slightly_smiling_face:)

So, there you go. It’s a bit random, but it should add to the fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

Categories:

💙 Geography
  1. Which of these colours is not on the flag of Estonia - blue, red or black?

2. What zone lies between the Tropics of Capricorn and Cancer?

3. In which city was the first Gay Pride parade held?

4. What was Britain’s first national park?

5. The capital of Delaware shares its name with which British port?

💗Entertainment
  1. Of the first 10 UK singles by the Spice Girls, nine reached number one - but which was the only hit to miss out on the top spot?

2. What’s the name of Sooty’s girlfriend?

3. Name one of the two featured artists on Drake’s monster hit single “One Dance”.

4. What was the first X-rated film to win the best picture Oscar?

5. Who had the bestselling single of the first decade of the 21st century with double-A side “Anything is Possible/Evergreen”?

💛 History
  1. Who was assassinated on April 4, 1968?

2. Who galloped from Boston toward Lexington on an April night in 1775 to warn that the British were coming?

3. What was the infamous feat of Germany’s U-20 submarine?

4. What was the fifth-largest city in the Roman Empire in A.D. 50?

5. Which agriculturalist invented the horse-drawn seed drill in 1701, and gave his name to a progressive rock band in 1967?

💩 Art & Literature
  1. What is the name of the 2016 sequel to bestselling children’s book Oi Frog! - Oi Hare! Oi Dog! or Oi Mule!?

2. Which British novelist wrote the children’s story Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

3. Which artist’s works include Bedroom at Arles, 15 Sunflowers and Self Portrait with Straw Hat?

4. What was Lady Chatterley’s first name?

5. Which ‘loverly’ musical takes its name from the last line of London Bridge is Falling Down?

💚 Science & Nature
  1. In astronomy, the three brightest stars Alnilam, Mintaka and Alnitak are collectively known as what?

2. What is aqua fortis?

3. Where would you normally find lamb’s quarters - a garden, a farmyard or the night sky?

4. What anthropological hoax was unearthed in a Sussex gravel pit in 1912?

5. The Winklevoss twins sued which billionaire for allegedly stealing what they claim is their networking idea?

🧡 Sprot & Leisure
  1. What Seagulls have played at Wembley?

2. What American dice-rolling game can be won with an initial throw of 7 or eleven?

3. Which upscale shoe designer is known for his signature red-lacquered soles?

4. What’s the Scrabble point value of the word “jar” on a double-word-score, without blanks?

5. What is the only country to have qualified for all of the soccer World Cup finals?

Scoreboard

Total :blue_heart: :heartpulse: :yellow_heart: :poop: :green_heart: :orange_heart:
@MsSubExperimenter 19 3 2 4 3 3 4
@Peitho 18 3 2 3 3 4 3
@SexInTheCity 18 4 3 0 4 3 4
@WillC 18 2 3 3 4 4 2
@Ian_Chimp 17 2 2 3 4 3 3
@LuciousLegs 15 2 4 1 2 2 4
The Answers

| :blue_heart: Geography | :heartpulse: Entertainment
— | — | —

1. Red :estonia: | 1. “Stop”
  2. Tropical Zone | 2. Soo
  3. New York City
    (June 1970) | 3. Kyla, Wizkid
  4. The Peak District | 4. Midnight Cowboy
  5. Dover | 5. Will Young
    |
    :yellow_heart: History |
    :poop: Arts & Literature |
  6. Martin Luther King Jr | 1. Oi Dog!
  7. Paul Revere | 2. Ian Fleming
  8. It sank the Lusitania | 3. Vincent van Gogh
  9. Londinium | 4. Constance
  10. Jethro Tull | 5. My Fair Lady
    |
    :green_heart: Science & Nature |
    :orange_heart: Sprot & Leisure |
  11. Orion’s Belt | 1. Brighton
  12. Acid | 2. Craps
  13. A garden (it’s a plant) | 3. Christian Louboutin
  14. The Piltdown Skull | 4. Twenty
  15. Mark Zuckerberg | 5. Brazil
1 Like

Okay, doctors appointments this morning so not at work today… Quiz time :clap::clap::clap:

💙 Geography
  1. It’s blue, black, white so answer is red :estonia:
  2. The Torrid Zone - Thank you GCSE (or earlier) Geography colouring in, think this is the first time I’ve used that information since.
  3. San Francisco?
  4. :thinking: Brecon Beacons?
  5. Dover
💗 Entertainment
  1. Who Do You Think You Are?
  2. Sue
  3. :woman_shrugging:t2:
  4. :woman_shrugging:t2: Debbie Does Dallas? :joy:
  5. Is Evergreen Will Young?
💛 History
  1. Martin Luther King
  2. :woman_shrugging:t2:
  3. :woman_shrugging:t2:
  4. :thinking: Since 5th is rather random and they’re UK centric questions I’ll guess Londinium?
  5. Jethro Tull
💩 Art and Literature
  1. :woman_shrugging:t2: Total guess, never even heard of Oi Frog! So, Oi Hare!
  2. Ian Fleming - Never gave Bond a flying car did he!
  3. Van Gogh? He was big into Sunflowers :sunflower:
  4. Sure I’ll know this one when the answers come up but lost in brain filing system at the moment.
  5. My Fair Lady
💚 Science and Nature
  1. Orion’s Belt?
  2. :woman_shrugging:t2: Fighting Water?
  3. Think it’s a plant so garden?
  4. Piltdown Man Missing Link
  5. :woman_shrugging:t2: Facebook maybe? So Zuckerberg?
🧡 Sprot and Leisure
  1. A US sports team of some sort… The Denver Seagulls, are they a team?
  2. Craps?
  3. Jimmy Choo (and I think you mean shoe designer rather than show designer though I guess he does do shows?)
  4. :thinking: 8, 1 and I think 1 so 20?
  5. Brazil?

No clean sweeps I’m sure but also no zeros I don’t think.

1 Like
Here We Go

:blue_heart: Geography

1. Which of these colours is not on the flag of Estonia - blue, red or black? Red
  2. What zone lies between the Tropics of Capricorn and Cancer? Equatorial?
  3. In which city was the first Gay Pride parade held? New York?
  4. What was Britain’s first national park? Lake District?
  5. The capital of Delaware shares its name with which British port? Dover!

:heartpulse:Entertainment

1. Of the first 10 UK singles by the Spice Girls, nine reached number one - but which was the only hit to miss out on the top spot? 2 become 1?
  2. What’s the name of Sooty’s girlfriend? Sue?
  3. Name one of the two featured artists on Drake’s monster hit single “One Dance”. Justin Bieber?
  4. What was the first X-rated film to win the best picture Oscar? The Graduate?
  5. Who had the bestselling single of the first decade of the 21st century with double-A side “Anything is Possible/Evergreen”? Will Young?

:yellow_heart: History

1. Who was assassinated on April 4, 1968? MLK Jr?
  2. Who galloped from Boston toward Lexington on an April night in 1775 to warn that the British were coming? Paul Revere?
  3. What was the infamous feat of Germany’s U-20 submarine? Sunk the Lusitania?
  4. What was the fifth-largest city in the Roman Empire in A.D. 50? Carthage? :woman_shrugging:t2:
  5. Which agriculturalist invented the horse-drawn seed drill in 1701, and gave his name to a progressive rock band in 1967? Jethro Tull?

:poop: Art & Literature

1. What is the name of the 2016 sequel to bestselling children’s book Oi Frog! - Oi Hare! Oi Dog! or Oi Mule!? Oi Hare?
  2. Which British novelist wrote the children’s story Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Ian Fleming
  3. Which artist’s works include Bedroom at Arles, 15 Sunflowers and Self Portrait with Straw Hat? Vincent Van Gogh?
  4. What was Lady Chatterley’s first name? Sarah?
  5. Which ‘loverly’ musical takes its name from the last line of London Bridge is Falling Down? My Fair Lady

:green_heart: Science & Nature

1. In astronomy, the three brightest stars Alnilam, Mintaka and Alnitak are collectively known as what? Orion’s Belt?
  2. What is aqua fortis? Some form of liquid
  3. Where would you normally find lamb’s quarters - a garden, a farmyard or the night sky? Garden?
  4. What anthropological hoax was unearthed in a Sussex gravel pit in 1912? No idea, a bog body!
  5. The Winklevoss twins sued which billionaire for allegedly stealing what they claim is their networking idea? Facebook?

:orange_heart: Sprot & Leisure

1. What Seagulls have played at Wembley? Brighton and Hove Albion?
  2. What American dice-rolling game can be won with an initial throw of 7 or eleven? Yahtzee?
  3. Which upscale show designer is known for his signature red-lacquered soles? Christian Louboutin?
  4. What’s the Scrabble point value of the word “jar” on a double-word-score, without blanks? 20?
  5. What is the only country to have qualified for all of the soccer World Cup finals? Brazil?
1 Like

Nice to have you back. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Thank you @Ian_Chimp :blush: I’m guessing you gave me Green 5? If not I can give you the name :blush:

I did give you :green_heart:5, though perhaps it should have been a half mark? :thinking:

And it’s too late to add to your answers after you’ve submitted them, you cheeky monkey. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hehe I put that as a quick answer so i didn’t forget to fill it in then forgot to reread it :woman_facepalming:t2:

:monkey_face: says Mark Zuckerberg

:banana: for Mr Chimp :innocent:

2 Likes
WillC Answers

Geography

1, Blue?
2, The Torrid Zone
3, San Farnsisco?
4, Lake District
5, Dover

Entertainment

1, No idea!
2, Soo
3, No idea
4, Midnight Cowboy (Fab film!)
5, Will Young

History

1, Martin Luther King?
2, Paul Revere
3, No idea
4, No idea
5, Jethro Tull

Art and Literature

1, Oi Dog!
2, Ian Fleming
3, Van Gogh
4, No idea
5, My Fair Lady

Science and Nature

1, Orion’s Belt
2, No idea
3, A Garden?
4, Piltdown Man
5, Mark Zuckerberg?

Sprot And Leisure

1, No idea
2, Craps?
3, Christian Louboutin (Not sure of spelling!)
4, No idea
5, No idea

1 Like

Oooh. It’s a close one this week too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can’t believe I got :orange_heart:3 wrong… I was so confident I knew the right answer and I do damn it but the wrong one came out because I completely failed to engage brain and blurted out first stupid thought :woman_facepalming:t2:.

Always answer in evening in bath tub not in a free bit of time during the day. Lesson learned :rofl:

3 Likes

You’re letting the sisterhood down, even i knew that one! :wink:

1 Like

Sorry @WillC , you are absolutely correct. I should be excluded from the Shoes Schmooze chat for at least a week! :see_no_evil:

3 Likes
Here's my attempt fingers crossed for around 15 or 16

Cat|1|2|3|4|5|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
:blue_heart:|Red|:man_shrugging:|:man_shrugging:|peak district|Craps :man_shrugging:|Brain has gone blank :sob:|20|Brazil||:man_shrugging:|
:heartpulse:|Stop|Sue|Rihanna :man_shrugging: She has done lots with him|Midnight Cowboy|Will Young|
:yellow_heart:|Martin Luther King|:man_shrugging:|:man_shrugging:|Trick question, Rome :man_shrugging:|:man_shrugging:|
:poop:|Oi Hare!|:man_shrugging:|Vincent Van Gough|:man_shrugging:|My Fair Lady|
:green_heart:|Orion’s Belt is the only one I can think of|:man_shrugging:|night sky :man_shrugging:|if only it was a unicorn|Mark Zuckenberg, I know this from the social network movie :joy:|
:orange_heart:|Brighton & Hove Albion| Crabs|Brain has gone blank :sob:|20 or 22 I’m going for 20 :crossed_fingers:|Brazil :brazil:|

1 Like

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like
Answers to Hump Day Quiz 26.05.21

Geography:

1. Red
  2. Torrid zone
  3. New York
  4. Peak District?
  5. No idea

Entertainment:

1. I think it’s ‘Stop’
  2. Soo
  3. Kyla
  4. No idea
  5. No idea

History:

1. Feel like I should know this but I just can’t think
  2. No idea
  3. It sunk
  4. No idea
  5. No idea

Arts & Lit:

1. Oi Dog!
  2. Ian Fleming
  3. Vincent van Gogh
  4. No idea
  5. My Fair Lady

Science & Nature:

1. Oriens Belt
  2. No idea
  3. No idea, let’s guess a garden
  4. No idea
  5. Mark Zuckerberg

Sprot & Leisure:

1. Brighton and Hove are the Seagulls I think… Is that what you mean?
  2. No idea
  3. Christian Louboutin
  4. 20
  5. Hmm not sure. Maybe Brazil?
1 Like

I forgot about the quiz. :man_facepalming: But I have now added the answers to the quiz post :slightly_smiling_face:

I can officially declare this week’s most triumphant winner of the Great Hump Day Quiz to be… :drum::drum::drum:

@MsSubExperimenter :trophy::balloon:

Congratulations!

No Clean-Sweepers this week, I’m afraid. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes