Upper neck pain because of tension

Since Sunday I have pain on my upper neck - back of my head, in the small ''pit'' where the spine meets the skull. It feels like it's two muscles that hurt, one on each side of the spine bone. Bending my head back makes it worse. It was caused because I was very tense for too long during a marathon orgasm session.

Does anyone know of exercises or other ideas to relieve the pain, as well as tips to avoid getting it in the future?

I've tried the following, which helped a little, but the pain is still there: massaging, gentle rotations with my head, en extra pillow when I sleep, consciously trying to relax the muscles and, obviously, pain meds (paracetamol).

Sadly, the waiting time to meet a doctor, physical therapist etc is 7-90 days, so the pain will most likely be gone before I get an appointment.

Yep would second using temperature to 'distract' those pesky pain channels, alternate between heat and cold to block the pain signals.

Physio shoulder rolls might help - a quick google shoud give diagrams. I use these for arthritis neck pain.

Also pain in that area can be estrogen related - is it worse when estrogen levels might be high or low?

Thank you all for your comments!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner... It's been a little crazy around here, but I did read your replies and tried some of your suggestions. The pain lasted on-and-off for about 17 days.

Alicia4Ever and Gosig: I'm extremely afraid of using heat/ cold because that made my back pain way worse. I know these two issues are not related, and my back pain is caused by a completely different problem. However, I still can't bring myself to do it. :(

Stretching the muscles a few times a day felt good and I think it helped a little.

I don't throw my head back quickly, but as I get more aroused I do pull it all the way back and keep it there. Only the neck muscles feel tense. I'd already tried both things you suggested, but I find it much harder to reach orgasm that way. If the pain comes back, I'll have to train in being comfortable orgasming like that.

MsR: I tried this exercise but it didn't do anything for me. It's intresting that it could be estrogen related. I went off the pill about 4-5 months ago and my body is still adjusting. If I get that pain again, I'll check if it coincides with my circle.

Thank you all so much once again! ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif)

I had the same before Christmas, not from sex though! I used one of those buckwheat warmers you heat up in the microwave, Ibruprofen and gently exercising my neck, it took a couple of weeks to get fully better.

WillC wrote:

I had the same before Christmas, not from sex though! I used one of those buckwheat warmers you heat up in the microwave, Ibruprofen and gently exercising my neck, it took a couple of weeks to get fully better.

Sounds like it could be similar to what I had - but it got longer to get better since I didn't use heat!

Smultron wrote:

Thank you all for your comments!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner... It's been a little crazy around here, but I did read your replies and tried some of your suggestions. The pain lasted on-and-off for about 17 days.

That does sound shit. I'm afraid I have no tips (other than hot and cold, but you've already said they're a no-go). I'm glad you're feeling better now though. 👍🙂

I used to get a lot of neck/shoulder pain (sitting at a computer for long periods of time doesn't help) and I found that Yoga really helps. Search YouTube for 'Yoga for neck pain' and try to incorporate some of the techniques into your daily routine, helped me heaps. I haven't had any pain for months whereas previously I would have lots of tension in my upper back most days.

Ian Chimp wrote:

That does sound shit. I'm afraid I have no tips (other than hot and cold, but you've already said they're a no-go). I'm glad you're feeling better now though. 👍🙂

Thank you! ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif)

To be honest, it was more of an annoyance. I think you already know I live with chronic back pain, so I'm used to being achy. However, I'm more than happy to slip experiencing pain whenever possible - especially when it affects the quality of my sex life. ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif)

DreamsOfChi wrote:

I used to get a lot of neck/shoulder pain (sitting at a computer for long periods of time doesn't help) and I found that Yoga really helps. Search YouTube for 'Yoga for neck pain' and try to incorporate some of the techniques into your daily routine, helped me heaps. I haven't had any pain for months whereas previously I would have lots of tension in my upper back most days.

Thank you, I'm giving them a try if I get that pain again!

@Sumltron, may I know if you are in your above 40? Do you have tingling feeling like pins and needles on your lower arms and legs? Besides the neck do you also feel numbness on fingers and toes?

4Uonly wrote:

@Sumltron, may I know if you are in your above 40? Do you have tingling feeling like pins and needles on your lower arms and legs? Besides the neck do you also feel numbness on fingers and toes?

I'm 30 and, although I sometimes get those feelings on my lower legs, feet and toes, it's because of some discs in my lower spine that press on some nerves. That's not related to my neck, as I barely had any back- and nerve pain while my neck hurt. Furthermore, I hurt my back because I was doing heavy lifting at work for a few months. I've had a CT scan and there is nothing wrong with my upper spine, discs or vertibrae.

If a person over 40 had those symptoms, what could it indicate?

@Smultron, thanks for responding. If the pain doesn't go away and you're still feeling (may be sometimes) pins and needles on lower legs, toes and dumbness (on with side of your leg or both sides) and lower hands and fingers, I suggest you take a MRI instead. CT scan has its limitation. The area around the 7 sections (called C1-7) of the vertebrae has lots of dedicated nerves and they have direct relation to pain around the neck and shoulders, pins and needles including numbness of lower legs and lower arms. MRI will show. But...you are in your 30s so I won't suspect degenerative disorder of the vertebrae. However I will not rule out the possibility of misalignment of the vertebrae. Physiotherapy may help after knowing the root cause.

4Uonly wrote:

@Smultron, thanks for responding. If the pain doesn't go away and you're still feeling (may be sometimes) pins and needles on lower legs, toes and dumbness (on with side of your leg or both sides) and lower hands and fingers, I suggest you take a MRI instead. CT scan has its limitation. The area around the 7 sections (called C1-7) of the vertebrae has lots of dedicated nerves and they have direct relation to pain around the neck and shoulders, pins and needles including numbness of lower legs and lower arms. MRI will show. But...you are in your 30s so I won't suspect degenerative disorder of the vertebrae. However I will not rule out the possibility of misalignment of the vertebrae. Physiotherapy may help after knowing the root cause.

Thank you for all the info!

I had neck pain on and off for a bit more than 2 weeks and now I'm fine. If it returns, I will both try some of the other advice and contact a physiotherapist.

It's the discs between my L3-L5 vertebrae that cause the various nerve symptoms down my legs. That, combined with my age and no family history (as far as we know) means that it was most likely a one-off thing and not degenerative disorder of the vertebrae.

As you said, an MRI because is better than a CT scan. I've suggested to the doctor that I get one, but he didn't think it was needed. At some point I will have one done and pay for it myself, but this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Smultron , good to hear your neck discomort went away . In your title it refers to tension , like in stress ? If it comes back and is a pretty regular thing , then you need to do a number of things to reduce it . I am pretty familiar with neck pain . I have broke my lower back and broke my neck . The broken neck really did not hurt that much , but neck pain from strees and anxiety was much worse . Nothing from the doctor really helped that . I found cutting back on caffine and subliminal meditation helped much more . I suspect because the pain went away , that it may have just been a strained muscle or an irritated nerve in your back . Hope it stays better !

Oldman wrote:

Smultron , good to hear your neck discomort went away . In your title it refers to tension , like in stress ? If it comes back and is a pretty regular thing , then you need to do a number of things to reduce it . I am pretty familiar with neck pain . I have broke my lower back and broke my neck . The broken neck really did not hurt that much , but neck pain from strees and anxiety was much worse . Nothing from the doctor really helped that . I found cutting back on caffine and subliminal meditation helped much more . I suspect because the pain went away , that it may have just been a strained muscle or an irritated nerve in your back . Hope it stays better !

No, it's not because of stress. I think it was because I kept pushing my head back for too long. Thankfully, the pain hasn't come back. =)

When it comes to tension because of stress and anxiety, it's my shoulders and not my neck. After attending a cbt/ meditation group a couple of years ago, I now make sure to do a quick check often during the day, and relax or massage any tense muscles.

Sorry to hear about your accidents, by the way. Glad you've found things that helped with the pain you had because of stress! =)