Anyone else having to deal with chronic pain?

i have degenerative disc disease and have already had part of my spine fused & replaced. now the next bit is crumbling. been in constant pain since feb and some days even the morphine doesnt help. Ironically sex does - probably psychological and the endorphines.

anyone else on here dealing with similar issues? does sex help you? maybe it should be perscribed on the nhs lol :-)

Citygirl, I have had a chronic headache (it is constant - 24/7) for the last 14 years. Sometimes, yes, I feel better after sex - I almost forget it is there. And I have never tried morphine for the pain, but no doctor has ever prescribed it to me - although the pain can get so severe I am unable to get out of bed sometimes and despite the fact that none of the other painkillers I have been given works for me.

But in general pleasant emotions do help with the pain, not only sex.

P.S. And just a joke: considering the fact that the headache is one of the most common excuses for not wanting to have sex, if I used it, I shouldn't have made sex in the first place, lol.

I have arthritis and osteoporosis in my hips/spine in the winter I can barely walk so sex is off the menu a lot.
Maybe I should try it this year, see if it eases the pain a bit :)

Yh, since having my third child 5.5 years ago i have really bad hip issues, i had severe SPD but the symptoms didnt really go after the birth. Main issues are with walking, im ok on a flat surface for short periods of time, but any hills, even slight ones or stairs going up or down and im in agony. I cant wear any kid of heel anymore which is rubbish since i used to only wear heels. Lost most of my friends as going out is hard work living in a hilly town. Years of pretty much staying home has in turn caused some anxiety issues when i do go out. Its all a bit rubbish and im yet to find a pain killer that helps.

Thank goodness i have my husband to let of steam with!

I had a slipped and ultimately herniated disc for around 4 years and it did cause some minor issues with my sex life. Weirdly though very rarely during sex, it'd just ache afterwards.

Luckily I had it treated a couple of years ago but even now I'm sometimes left with noticeable hip pain.

menyanthe wrote:

Citygirl, I have had a chronic headache (it is constant - 24/7) for the last 14 years. Sometimes, yes, I feel better after sex - I almost forget it is there. And I have never tried morphine for the pain, but no doctor has ever prescribed it to me - although the pain can get so severe I am unable to get out of bed sometimes and despite the fact that none of the other painkillers I have been given works for me.

But in general pleasant emotions do help with the pain, not only sex.

P.S. And just a joke: considering the fact that the headache is one of the most common excuses for not wanting to have sex, if I used it, I shouldn't have made sex in the first place, lol.

Hiya Menyanthe - I hope you don't mind me asking - but have you ever been to an alternative therapist to have this checked out? I feel so sorry that you are suffering with something like this - and sometimes diet / lifestyle changes can make a huge difference.

If you are interested - then please let me know and I will drop you an e-mail with some details about a type of therapy that I think could be useful to you :) xxx

Scorpius12, I am always interested in alternative therapies. You could imagine I have tried different things during the years. Diet, however, is not for me - I like to indulge myself with food (even more than I like sex), so it would be impossible for me to give up certain foods.

Actually, I am now considering a therapy (but only after I have given birth) that will also replace my current one with levothyroxine sodium (as I am 99% sure that this hormone is additionally increasing my pain). This therapy presumably should also help with my sinusitis. However, they suggest that this is should be done simultaneously with taking the levothyroxine sodium and it helps lowering the dosage. I really hope I would be able to maintain good levels of my TSH without the pill, though. We will see.

menyanthe wrote:

Scorpius12, I am always interested in alternative therapies. You could imagine I have tried different things during the years. Diet, however, is not for me - I like to indulge myself with food (even more than I like sex), so it would be impossible for me to give up certain foods.

Actually, I am now considering a therapy (but only after I have given birth) that will also replace my current one with levothyroxine sodium (as I am 99% sure that this hormone is additionally increasing my pain). This therapy presumably should also help with my sinusitis. However, they suggest that this is should be done simultaneously with taking the levothyroxine sodium and it helps lowering the dosage. I really hope I would be able to maintain good levels of my TSH without the pill, though. We will see.

That sounds very interesting - If you want to drop me an e-mail I can send you details of the other therapy - which can also check if this new therapy you are considering would be useful :) xxx

I have just sent you an email :) Thank you very much for the information :)

I have the same health issue as Avrielle. Fibromyalgia. Some days better than others but I have pain every day. Sex is effected. certain positions are not comfortable or possible for long. We just kinda worked around it. For example, on my bad days, blowjobs are generally given with us both laying on out sides, facing each other. I can't kneel for long enough without my legs, back and neck screaming. We just found ways around things really. Sometimes it is just too bad and I can't have sex that day, but I have a high drive so I will do whatever my body lets me, even if it means laying completely still and just stroking him, or him touching me. Sometimes I am too sore to be penetrated so we just have foreplay. Although foreplay to us is often "main play" anyway :D Sex does seem to help sometimes, to lower the pain. x

I realise that I may be preaching to the choir, but might be worth trying for a referral from the GP to the 'Pain Clinic' at the local hospital. Usually manned by anaesthetists, the pain clinics can be a real benefit to anyone in chronic pain. You could also try TNS (also called TENS) as can be of benefit, although I expect that your physio may have run all this past you before.

Some chronic pains can be treated with amitryptyline - whilst it is a tricyclic antidepressant it is rarely prescribed as one as there are better and more effective antidepressants out there- it may be worth asking your consultant for a peer review of your case in the hope that someone casts a fresh eye over it and may have an alternative opinion.

It's possible to not go through life in pain? Isn't that something that only happens on telly?

Bionic Man wrote:

I realise that I may be preaching to the choir, but might be worth trying for a referral from the GP to the 'Pain Clinic' at the local hospital. Usually manned by anaesthetists, the pain clinics can be a real benefit to anyone in chronic pain. You could also try TNS (also called TENS) as can be of benefit, although I expect that your physio may have run all this past you before.

Some chronic pains can be treated with amitryptyline - whilst it is a tricyclic antidepressant it is rarely prescribed as one as there are better and more effective antidepressants out there- it may be worth asking your consultant for a peer review of your case in the hope that someone casts a fresh eye over it and may have an alternative opinion.

been there, done that, on amitryptlyine plus many many more drugs. basically the pain consultant rferred me back to the orthapaedic surgeon telling him to opeate. now being referred to neurosurgeon. massive runaround and this is bloody private!

post got duplicated in error

looks like there are many ageing old bags of bones on here - good jobe LH does so many products to put a smile on our faces. i seriously considering the electric magic wand - it might actually help with the back pain and even if it doesnt it will help to pput a smile on my face ;-)

I sympathize with the year-long headache struggle. I’m not sure if you’re still around these parts, but I do hope you are well, @menyanthe