What to look for in a STD test

I currently have a FWB situation so ideally want to monitor my wellbeing more than in a committed relationship. Between partners I’ve normally found a free health check from the likes of SH UK, involves a urine and blood sample (which being afraid of my own blood is problematic!).

The check seems to cover Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea with urine and HIV and syphilis with the blood check. People who do tests more regularly is there anything else you look for, or request from a partner before getting active?

1 Like

I used to do the SH24 tests every 3 months (I don’t anymore, as I only see 1 person exclusively now) and always use condoms. So many people don’t use condoms and pretend that they use them with everyone else. People also lie.

I had a rule that I didn’t do any sort of oral the first time, none for me and none for them. This gave me an ‘out’ without it being uncomfortable and I could gauge their hygiene.

I’ve had 2 people come to my house with crispy bum hairs. If people aren’t washing their ass, they’re probably not vigilant with their sexual health.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s good advice on checking their hygiene but it doesn’t necessarily work if the person I’m seeing is also seeing other people. Glad to know the sh24 is used by others, thanks!

Good hygiene isn’t fool proof, but it shows some awareness and respect for you. It doesn’t matter if they’re also having sex with other people, it still applies.

There’s only so much you’ll be able to control with this.

Do your 3 monthly tests, only see people who also get tested regularly and if they don’t then decide if you’re ok with that.

Use condoms every single time. If someone doesn’t want to use them, don’t have sex with them.

Think with the head on top of your shoulders.

3 Likes

Like a lot of people I always struggle with the blood test, not because I’m afraid of blood but because I can’t get enough to fill the tube
SH UK are very good though , superfast turn around, even during lockdown when covid tests were taking forever

2 Likes

great question… lookin’ on

I struggled getting enough blood if I wasn’t properly hydrated.I wore gloves and my oodie beforehand too.

1 Like

My issue was passing out while trying to fill the vial :joy:.

My only concern with the sh24 was it only seems to cover 4 things, I feel there’s a lot more we should look out for, but glad to hear others use it regularly.

2 Likes

Oooh I use them too! Usually it’s a blood, urine, mouth swab and anal swab they ask for from me.

1 Like

There’s a little quiz at the start which I guess your answers dictate what you may require, might also be location based?

1 Like

Possibly I guess if someone don’t practice with anal then they’d not need a bum swab :sweat_smile: