What's everyone reading?

Me and possibly @CurvyJilly were terrified back in the 80s when the film Threads showed our ‘eggbox’ town hall being ripped apart by a nuclear bomb. Twenty years later the council used wrecking balls and diggers

2 Likes

@WillC yes, after watching the series ended up searching Chernobyl on waterstones web site and ended up with a book. Always been interested in it though. Says something when prypyat is my ideal holiday destination​:joy:

2 Likes

I remember watching Chernobyl on the news as it happened, nobody knew how bad it could have been, I found it quite shocking when I watched the program. I think we all owe the brave men and women who gave their lives at that time to contain it.

1 Like

Could have been worse if the Soviet union managed to cover it up like the tried to!

2 Likes

I know what you mean, that was what shocked me, how they just refused to acknowledge that there was even a problem!!!

1 Like

I remember Threads, truly terrifying.

4 Likes

I’ve been searching for a suitable book club for ages! Where did you find yours @MsR?

P.s. You should defo read Beekeeper of Aleppo, it’s incredible! If you want a token line though you can say “I found it really impactful how the last word of the chapter was the first word of the next chapter, as well as the first word of the title of said chapter” :joy: Useless information that will get a reassuring nod and ensure no further questions are asked! (p.s. please double check this in case I’m getting muddled with my books!)

But on a serious note, do read it when you feel up to it as its a very good book!

3 Likes

I think Threads is on YouTube if anyone wants to scare themselves shitless.

1 Like

I looked for it while ago but it looks like it’s been taken off.

2 Likes

Oh! :pensive:

1 Like

Just looked, there are a number of clips, which are scary enough. The one that stayed with me was the woman wetting herself in terror.

2 Likes

Yes. I’m looking now…even the clips are bloody frightening! I’ve seen the whole film a few times and each time it doesn’t get any less scary.

3 Likes

Yes, scarier than any Hollywood blockbuster.

1 Like

I’m currently reading Funny Geezer an autobiography about Mickey Flanagan :joy:

3 Likes

especially terrifying if you lived in Sheffield - even the trailer (also on YouTube) is pretty scary

1 Like

So true! I bet seeing local landmarks made it especially scary!

2 Likes

Do you think Micky is still funny since he made it big and became proper rich?
I bought his DVD the Christmas before last but couldn’t watch to the end. I thought he was much better talking about stealing ketchup from service stations on the way home from gigs or even 'learning through play at £50 a day" when £50 seem like a lot to him

1 Like

@SexInTheCity Thank you! I’m going to make a start on Beekeeper this week - you have spurred me on!
Good book groups can be hard to find - some are either too chatty (not about the book) or too cliquey. Mine meets via Zoom at the moment but in normal times it is at a Quaker Meeting House.
We go round the circle and everyone has to take it in turns to talk about their experience of the book, before a more general discussion. Then we all pitch in with whatever else we are reading - fact as well as fiction. We have a couple of members in their 90s with pin-sharp intellects!
Good luck in your search…

2 Likes

He’s still my favourite comedian but I know what you mean about the slight change of direction he has now. I did prefer the early stuff , he still has me literally crying with laughter :rofl: Maybe it’s because I come from East London the same as him :grin:

2 Likes

Cool :grin:
@Orgasm_Chaser might like his bit on Casual C*nting

Living in the East End, the word was often used more as a term of endearment as Mikey explains so well
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes