Painkillers and their not so charming side effects for the Laydees...

Le sigh, has anyone found that painkillers can play havoc with their sex life?

I'm on post-operative painkillers after my back op, which amongst other jolly things have given me immense dryness and galloping thrush.

Still fancy me?

Anyway, it's very annoying. Can any OA'ers who have had similar experience share some advice?

I'm speaking with my GP about the matter but I wanted to take a chance to have a little lament before I start a small fire with my knicker friction and then cry into the wall.

Nice to see you back TL!

You do have a way with words... galloping thrush...

Have you seen my thread about this freebie?

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-tips-and-advice/179804-free-sample-of-a-vaginal-moisturiser/

Might be worth a punt for your... anyway... Nice to see you back and I hope your op has gone all to plan.

Cheers, Wanda, I did see that. Gave it a swing as it's a freebie and I will literally order *anything* free of charge. Don't think I'll invest in anything of that kind as it's a short term problem but in the mean time I'm a bit sulky socks.

Post-op is going swimmingly, thank you. Att the five month mark I'm now allowed to spend time on my front (it was verboten until now. More frustrating than you would think)

Must check Sex News now as your finds do cheer me up.

What painkillers do you take might I ask?

I have dryness issues anyway (think it's pill related) but I've been dryer lately and I'd blamed it on switching pills however I've recently started taking the TCA Amitryptiline - in low doses it is not a anti depressant but works as a pain modifier....perhaps this is the cause of my worsening issues...

Ax

A whole lotta paracetamol and tramadol. Oramorph on the bad days.

Never experienced this so it was very alarming that everything seemed to close down for business but my surgeon said it will pass when I wean off the meds.

I had a nasty accident (6 months unable to walk unaided) a few years ago which left me on a morphine drip for a while and the side effects were horrific.

I went for the stupid male approach of just cutting them all out in a day. I felt like utter cr*p and tore myself to bits scratching with the withdrawl symptoms.

When I was allowed to leave the hospital I was given various painkillers and noticed every time I ate I felt swimmingly sick. I just thought it was loss of appetite until one day I forgot to take my pills with my food and voila I felt fine. Didn't take them again. Every drug seems to have a worrying list of side effects, there's a documentary (bigger stronger faster?) where a doc reads out a list of side effects that are seemingly horrendous, he's then asked what thats for: Vitamin C.

Personally it was a balance between pain and generally feeling poor. The former was my choice.

Whoops, ora-morph is slang for oral morphine in a liquid form.

Thanks for the advice, OA.

Tigerlilies wrote:

A whole lotta paracetamol and tramadol. Oramorph on the bad days.

Never experienced this so it was very alarming that everything seemed to close down for business but my surgeon said it will pass when I wean off the meds.

My OH has been on Tramadol and paracetamol for his back pain, he broke his back a couple of yeasrs ago and still gets terrible pain, he has been having side effects lately like lack of sex drive, sorry if this is TMI but when he has a wank it makes him feel really sick after, it doesn't happen when we have sex. Also he has been tired and moody. We have an appointment to see the GP next week but if he doesn't take them he can't work, he has tried other pain killers but none work as well as the tramadol. xxx

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Ouch. Hope your ok Tigerlillies. Tramadol is strong stuff, dunno what Oramorph is, but sounds very strong aswell. Just be careful cuz I know tramadol is addictive..

Some drugs reduce my sex drive to nothing, but to be honest, if I'm on such medication, it's more than likely that I wouldn't be feeling horny anyway. But its a real pain if its for long term. Hope you'll be ok. *Big Hugs*

Yes my OH was addicted to them last year, he went on the slow release ones to withdraw, it was awful! x

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

OH is on slow release tramadol just now. And prob will be for some time. He doesn't take more than he should and he says he's become resistant to them cuz they don't really help the pain much anymore and the side effects of dizzyness and sickness have gone too.

I've taken tramadol before and its pretty trippy stuff for me. rooms start spinning and stuff. Lol! I'm have quite an addictive character, since being addicted to sleepers, so I'm always really careful about what I take now. But sometimes I take one of OHs single tramadols he had left before he went on the slow release ones for my shoulder pain when it's really bad.

They do become less effective if you are on them for a long time. x

My best mate has been on strong painkillers for his back the past six months and it has totally killed his sexual wanting. He was quite a bit of a man whore before but now he's just all flirt and no action! Very frustrating for a lot of the ladies he comes across now!

x

I guess I'm lucky, I do take codeine, diclofenic and amitryptiline but my sex drive seems only to be affected by the pill (it's a bit better since switching to Yasmin too) but I do get a lot of dryness which could be painkiller related I suppose!

Ax

It's quite possible that some drugs affect libido and I'm sure if you googled the particular drug you'd find all the noted side affects. Operations also affect the hyptothalmus's secretion of AntiDiuretic Hormone which may affect your hydration although I think it's more commonly associated with holding onto too much water which is why water intake and outake is monitored after most surgeries.

The thrush (Canida albicans aka yeast) infection would have resulted from the change in environment of your vagina that the fungi naturally inhabits triggering it to go into the infectious phase. It's also important to note that antibiotics that would kill the naturally occurring bacteria in your vagina could also cause the fungi to shift into the infectious phase.

I know my reply is probably a bit too late now but perhaps it will be of use to someone else suffering similar problems.

Muz333 wrote:

The thrush (Canida albicans aka yeast) infection would have resulted from the change in environment of your vagina that the fungi naturally inhabits triggering it to go into the infectious phase. It's also important to note that antibiotics that would kill the naturally occurring bacteria in your vagina could also cause the fungi to shift into the infectious phase.

This is an issue for me! Can't remember if my doc said it was the TCA or the pill that caused it.

I'd never considered it because I had no discharge which is common with thrush but I did indeed need a dose of antifungal cream to sort out some inflammation issues I had!

Ax

Thrush is an extremely common problem and I believe about 3 in 4 woman will get it throughout their lifetimes. It's nothing to be embarrassed about and is easily eradicated.

Muz333 wrote:

Thrush is an extremely common problem and I believe about 3 in 4 woman will get it throughout their lifetimes. It's nothing to be embarrassed about and is easily eradicated. External Media

It's a bit unpleasant to discuss but I'm always of the opinion I will talk about ANYTHING because most of it happens to most of us and if we talk about it more it will help people who are unsure External Media

It's a nightmare to find people to compare horror stories with which is a bit of a shame when we all share the good bits - it can paint an off balance picture! Not everything is perfect all of the time!

Ax

Muz333 wrote:

Thrush is an extremely common problem and I believe about 3 in 4 woman will get it throughout their lifetimes. It's nothing to be embarrassed about and is easily eradicated. External Media

Aye, I had it only once (touch wood that continues!) back in school. Apparently wearing thick, wooly, itchy tights for 12 hours straight isn't good for your lady bits, and washing a lot to counter it is even worse. But the doc gave me the Canesten cream and a note to excuse me from wearing tights for a while (had to get really big knee-high socks, but still the best month!), and it cleared up without much fuss. Cotton panties, letting your bits breathe as much as possible, and not over-washing are all you can really do to limit getting it, but sometimes even then things can find some reason to have a wee growth spurt and take over.

The doc had actually told me that the most common cause of thrush and similar infections was over-washing, since folk were killing off all the good micro-dudes and spurring their invisible hitchhickers into overdrive so things would grow more than they should and cause problems. guess it's the same as headlice, which are attracted to clean haor over dirty: there's a stigma attached that having thrush means you've been unhygenic, which in the majority of cases could not be further from the truth. We're lucky that there's such talk of all this embarassing junk nowadays so that silly myths like that can be dispelled, and people don't have to feel embarassed over something so common and innocently caused.

I over clean too - never realised that could cause it!

I've been banned from using product down there as my skin is super sensitive and you can wash just was well with plain water so that should be beneficial actually!

I am OCD and cleanliness has always been my "thing" - have to learn to take more care!

Ax