Anyone Interested In Starting A Blog? Just An Idea!

Hey everyone,

First of all, please don't think this is self promotion LH staff. I'm genuinely trying to help. So if this is a violation of any rules please feel free to delete this post and please accept my humble apologies. I will not mention any sites or anything until I know I have your permission!

Now with that out of the way let's go.

So I'm about to start a blog promoting LoveHoney products and thought why not help anyone else looking to start a blog in the process.

I've got a fair bit of experience working online and I really think everything I've learnt over the past 6 years could be a great help to others thinking about trying their hand at blogging.

Anyway my idea is simple, I'm starting a review style blog with the sole purpose of helping people looking for solutions to spice up their sex life. So if enough people are interested...

I will start a second blog and run it alongside the review blog. Only this blog will be a tutorial based blog explaining everything going on behind the scenes on the review blog. Plus some extra tutorials to help guide you on your journey.

Things like, Keyword research - Search engine optimization - Blog post structure - Branding etc.

Basically you'll be able to learn the theory behind the finished article and between the two blogs you'll have a clear idea of how it all works.

Why would I do this?

Well if you're thinking of starting a blog you might as well start in the best possible way. There are a few vital behind the scenes ingredients that you absolutely need if you want to make money or get people actually visiting your blog.

For instance you might have the most amazing sex tips in the world but if you don't focus your content around words that people are searching nobody will ever see it.

Then on the flip side, if you target too broad a keyword for your topic, you'll be competing with the big boys and your blog will be on page 50 on Google.

Anyway, it's just a thought I've had and I'd be happy to do this if any of you guys are interested... If I'm allowed to post something like this on here that is haha

Thanks for reading and feel free to post a reply if something like this sounds good to you... If the thread is still here that is!

What's your USP? Keywords may show up on searches but where's the user retention coming from?

MK7 wrote:

What's your USP? Keywords may show up on searches but where's the user retention coming from?

The great thing about search traffic and ranking for certain keywords is that it the monthly search volume is fairly constant and predictable. So you don't really need a USP or a way of retaining visitors. Because there is always a steady flow of people looking for help.

All you need to do is know that the person landing on your blog post is looking to buy something but need a little more information to make an informed choice.

If you can provide them with the solution to their needs and fill in the missing pieces then you have a high chance that they will click through your affiliate link and make a purchase.

Of course you can always run a competition or host a newsletter, or multiple newsletters with advanced targeting if you want to create a relationship with your visitors. However you really don't need to.

Literally all you need to know is people are searching all the time for that one missing link before making a purchase. It could be anything related to say a sex toy for instance like how powerful, quiet, easy to clean, strong the vibrations are, realistic it feels.

If you can meet their needs and answer the missing link you are well positioned to make a sale.

As long as you are consistent and continue to create keyword driven content targeting low to medium difficulty keywords you can slowly build a profitable blog.

Hope this helps

If you can provide them with the solution to their needs and fill in the missing pieces then you have a high chance that they will click through your affiliate link and make a purchase.

Hi Naughty hubby, In saying this, have you joined the Lovehoney affiliate program?

Also, I am interested in starting my own blog for personal reasons and to help others who have been through trauma, like myself.

I don't know where to start and have had a go at building a webpage or two before, but that's about it!

I think it's a great and kind idea what you are doing along with the help you are offering. I know a few members already have blogs on here, not sure if they make money from them??

However, I'm very interested, but, on the other had it's a big step for me, so would have to do things at my own pace.

I can imagine you have to put the hard work in to reap the rewards, as with anything. It seems daunting to me, and is something I'd like to acheive.

I have taken the first step by plucking up the courage to reply to your thread. I have a lot going on at the moment, so don't want to jump in with 'half measures'.

I'm definitely interested and been hoping I could get some honest information from someone on this. So thank you so much. ☺ 😉 😊

I don't make money from my blog. Then again, that was never the purpose. I use a free service, and the bit of advertising on it goes to the people that run the service in lieu of payment. That seems fair to me.

I have to admit writing a good quality blog is quite hard work. I have several articles in development at one time, and they take a while to craft, so sometimes life gets in the way. At least with me using a free service, I don't feel under financial pressure.

I think what naughty hubby is proposing is much more serious than I want to be (although perhaps I should promote it more), but it is a great suggestion and lovely thought, and would be really useful for anyone who does want to take it seriously.

Thanks KinkyMira, sound advice as always! 😊 x

Emerald269 wrote:

Hi Naughty hubby, In saying this, have you joined the Lovehoney affiliate program?

Also, I am interested in starting my own blog for personal reasons and to help others who have been through trauma, like myself.

I don't know where to start and have had a go at building a webpage or two before, but that's about it!

I think it's a great and kind idea what you are doing along with the help you are offering. I know a few members already have blogs on here, not sure if they make money from them??

However, I'm very interested, but, on the other had it's a big step for me, so would have to do things at my own pace.

I can imagine you have to put the hard work in to reap the rewards, as with anything. It seems daunting to me, and is something I'd like to acheive.

I have taken the first step by plucking up the courage to reply to your thread. I have a lot going on at the moment, so don't want to jump in with 'half measures'.

I'm definitely interested and been hoping I could get some honest information from someone on this. So thank you so much. ☺ 😉 😊

Hi Emerald, I posted this in another thread it might give you a little idea of how easy it can be running a blog. You simply work at your own pace. Who cares if it takes two weeks to complete one post.

Anyway here it is...

Haha I know what you mean about it sucking your time away. That was the problem I faced when I first started working online. I found I just wanted to get things done.

The biggest and single most important tip I would give to anyone just starting out is to create a schedule and stick to it. Set yourself an early manageable weekly target and always hit it.

You really need to create a new realistic good working habit that won't be such a burden on your current daily life schedule.

So at the beginning I'd probably set a target of 1 quality blog post per week. Then give yourself a small amount of time each day. Like maybe wake up 30 minutes earlier or set aside 30 minutes after you take the kids to school to exclusively work towards getting that 1 amazing blog post done by the end of the week. Just try to stick to one fixed set amount of time that you can.

So if you pick getting up earlier, get up, grab a coffee and wake up a bit and then sit down to work on your article. Once you're ready to go, set a timer for 30 minutes on your phone and work until the time runs out then stop. Even if you are half way through a word stop, save your work and shut down your pc until tomorrow.

This will give you at least 2.5 hours per week even if you only do Monday to Friday. Don't worry if you don't get the article done the important thing in the beginning is creating a positive new habit. Over the course of a month it will be like second nature. Once you're used to setting a bit of time aside and getting work done you introduce the next part to the equation.

You give yourself a target for the current days 30 minutes schedule. So it might be today I am going to get all of the photographs or images sorted in 30 minutes.

This will take your productivity up another level, it's amazing how much a difference you get between "just working on that article" and "today I'm getting all pictures edited and publish ready" can make. Again don't worry if you don't get all of the work you expected done because I can guarantee you've gotten a lot more than you would have done.

If you don't do something like the above in the beginning it can feel like a burden. You'll find yourself sitting at the computer for hours in a day trying to finish it all. Only about an hour or two in you'll probably be getting hardly any done. Then a couple of days or weeks like that you'll start doing less and less and eventually just give up.

PRO TIP... Before you start your article set it out into subsections like a table of contents e.g For a review. Toy name, what it does, price, look and feel, useage, final thoughts.

If you've used what you're reviewing you'll already have a good idea of the content for each subsection. Get yourself a speech to text app on your phone and literally speak your thoughts on each section and have your mobile type it all out for you.

It's so much faster to build most of your article. All you need to do then is transfer the generated text to your pc and go through and fill in gaps and generally tidy it up

Hope this helps someone, it sure did for me when I first started working online. If you need any help feel free to ask

Hello Naughty hubby.

Thanks for all your detailed advice, you have really made the effort to explain everything and help others and myself on here!

What a kind and wonderful gesture. It's quite apt that you posted on here, as I'd been thinking about starting a blog for a while.

I was going to create a thread (asking for help with blogs) on here and then you popped up out of the blue with your great advice! I think it's meant to be that I should start my own personal project. 😉

Could you just reference what other thread you posted your comments on, from your quote below;

Hi Emerald, I posted this in another thread it might give you a little idea of how easy it can be running a blog. You simply work at your own pace. Who cares if it takes two weeks to complete one post.
Many thanks NH. 👍 ☺ 🌟

KinkyMira wrote:

I don't make money from my blog. Then again, that was never the purpose. I use a free service, and the bit of advertising on it goes to the people that run the service in lieu of payment. That seems fair to me.

I have to admit writing a good quality blog is quite hard work. I have several articles in development at one time, and they take a while to craft, so sometimes life gets in the way. At least with me using a free service, I don't feel under financial pressure.

I think what naughty hubby is proposing is much more serious than I want to be (although perhaps I should promote it more), but it is a great suggestion and lovely thought, and would be really useful for anyone who does want to take it seriously.

Thanks for popping in, to be quite honest the fundamentals I would be explaining can be applied to any blog free or paid.

It wouldn't even need to be a review blog. Things like keyword research, content structure, on page optimization etc can be applied to any style of website content.

Emerald269 wrote:

Hello Naughty hubby.

Thanks for all your detailed advice, you have really made the effort to explain everything and help others and myself on here!

What a kind and wonderful gesture. It's quite apt that you posted on here, as I'd been thinking about starting a blog for a while.

I was going to create a thread (asking for help with blogs) on here and then you popped up out of the blue with your great advice! I think it's meant to be that I should start my own personal project. 😉

Could you just reference what other thread you posted your comments on, from your quote below;

Many thanks NH. 👍 ☺ 🌟

Yeah of course, I think I've only posted in there three times however you might gain some help from it

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-tips-and-talk/1522126-lovehoney-bloggers-brand-spanking-new/

They're on the last page, also apologies for the delay in replying I'm using my mobile

Thanks so much NH, once again. ☺ 👍

Emerald269 wrote:

Thanks so much NH, once again. ☺ 👍

No problem, I'm just finishing up a website for the mixed martial arts club that my self and children attend.

Traded it for free lessons lol.

I've got the two domains ready for the journey we will all be taking on here.

I won't post links yet but one is StartSmartIncome which will be the tutorial blog and the review blog is HornyDevil.

As soon as they're live and if it's allowed I'll post them in the LoveHoney blog thread.

I think you'll actually enjoy following along, it's very rewarding once you see your hard work paying off.

Naughty hubby wrote:

I will start a second blog and run it alongside the review blog. Only this blog will be a tutorial based blog explaining everything going on behind the scenes on the review blog. Plus some extra tutorials to help guide you on your journey.

This is a really neat idea. Weirdly enough I pitched an article with advice on how to start a blog earlier this month, and then I noticed another blog I follow posted a similar article on setting up blogs on the same day. I think with Eroticon coming up a lot of people are encouraging others to start blogging (sex bloggers are a hugely supportive and awesome bunch of folk!).

I follow a load of sex blogs and techy blogs - but I think your plan to run them alongside eachother is really interesting. I look forward to seeing more.

Ok so I've just got a coupon to use on my namecheap account. £5 for a .net domain, SSL certificate and one years hosting.

If any of you guys who are interested in starting a blog want to take it you can have it.

I've got until 9pm Sunday to use it so leave a reply if you want to take it

It'll have to stay in my account for a year but I'll gladly register and set it up for someone if they want to grab a bargain. Should cost between £29 and £39 depending on the offers they have

I don't need it but it seems a shame to let it go to waste

Also got another coupon now same deal but with a ,com domain and a years hosting for £5 first come first served.