Are GPS still doing the implant during covid?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows if GPS are still doing the implant that goes in your arm? I’m thinking of going on that mid next year when I run out of pills. With me being overweight, they keep checking up on me and I keep getting anxious incase they turn around and say I can’t have the pills anymore and I have to go on something else. I mainly use them for my periods as well as sex since I don’t get them because of my PCOS but I’ve been on them since I was 17 and I’ll be 21 next year so I might try something different as I am sick of taking pills every day. I know I wouldn’t get my period with the implant but I want to take a break from the periods with the pill but still have it hormonal so my uterine lining doesn’t pile up a lot.

I’ve had an implant nearly 6 years (2 implants), I still have periods, lighter perhaps than with nothing but irregular. Not like with depo when they stopped completely.

My normal place is still doing them during Covid but that’s a sexual health clinic at the hospital rather than the GP. Hoping they’ll let me switch back to depo in which case after having my current implant removed and first jab I can switch to just going to the nurse at my GP’s which again is still going on during Covid (at least it was when I spoke to them a few weeks ago!) It may well depend on where you are in the country and which surgery you’re with so probably best to just give them a ring and ask.

My GP surgery are currently doing them but you may want to check with yours to be sure. It’s also worth checking what the wait time is it is often the sort of thing you need to prebook (rather than call up in the morning)

2 Likes

My wife suffers from PCOS and had the implant after coming off the pill and having a coil fitted which went on to cause pain and huge problems so was removed.

From the moment she had the implant she had constant bleeding. Every. Single. Day.

For months. It only ended when she had it removed.

It’s worth considering your options carefully.

I got my implant at my gp’s. I was on a waiting list for both the sexual health clinic and gp. I only had to wait 2 weeks. Am sure this depends on where you live. If it’s your first time getting the implant it’s a quick appointment and you are more likely to get one sooner. Since they don’t need to remove the old implant first. I had to pick up the implant from my local pharmacy prior to the doctors appointment.

In terms of how the implant has worked for me. I personally like it and it has worked well so far. I chose the implant over other forms because I didn’t want to have to remember to take a pill everyday. I also know a few people close to me that have gotten pregnant while on the pill. Since I don’t want kids. I didn’t want to take the chance. Also I like that the implant is a long term solution but is easy to remove if either it doesn’t work for you or you want to get pregnant in the future.

It’s been almost 6 months. It was easy to get inserted. I did get a bit of bruising and my arm was sore for a few days but nothing to major.

It has changed my monthly cycle. As I now I get it more often than I did before but it’s nowhere near as painful and not as heavy. Most people lose their period within a year.

But like with anything the side effects are different for everyone. Don’t let any horror stories put you off from trying it. Good luck and hope you find a birth control that suits you best.

Hi, Had my implant took out during lockdown last yr with no issue.
Both myself and my GP masked up.
I like you have been overweight and was advised to go on the implant. It was the worst decision I could make. Horrendous mood swings,crying and thought I was actually going crazy. Had it out and went back on pill (lost weight)
Now pill free as Husband had a successful vasectomy last year.
Go for it- can only try.x

Think it depends on each surgery and how much they are milking covid to avoid seeing patients.

My GP is still being difficult, regardless of the situation, it’s “call 111 instead and not us”

1 Like

Depends on the GP, I’ve booked in with my local sexual health clinic to get mine replaced in January, the process was much smoother to, quick phonecall, confirmation of expiry and they booked me in near the expiry date, GP it used to be appointment with the nurse, then prescription to get the new implant then another appointment to get it replaced. My GP were only offering implant appointments for removals, no replacements or new ones, and I looked for clinics, luckily there is one at the local hospital up the road and will be going to them from now on, much more pleasant and helpful!

The clinic did say that the implant can last a 4th year but were happy to replace at 3 year mark as I was a little anxious to keep it on. This new one will be my 4th one, I’m allergic to the main ingredient in the pill and mini-pill, only managed 3 months on it then I had trouble breathing, the implant has been a godsend, yeah the side effects are a pain at times, but by now managing them is part of daily life.

1 Like

I’ve not tried the implant as it doesn’t appeal to me but I think it’s the same hormone as the mini pill (progesterone only pill). If so, might it be worth trying the mini pill for a bit to see how it affects your periods first? I think GPs should still be offering appointments for implants - they need to continue providing most services. If I understand correctly, it’s only routine check ups that they are supposed to be cancelling at the moment. You should be able to get a telephone appointment with a GP or probably a practice nurse in the first instance to discuss your options. They probably won’t let you just make an appointment to have the implant inserted before discussing it with you over the phone first but I might be wrong.

I’m still trying to work out if there is a contraception method that would work for me. I’m not using anything at the moment (except condoms) because everything I’ve tried so far hasn’t suited me! Hope you get to talk to your GP soon, it’s important to get something that works for you and they shouldn’t brush you off or use Covid as an excuse not to give you an appointment.

2 Likes

I have PCOS and the implant completely removed my period. I didn’t have a period for 8 years. Took it out and got pregnant within 6 months (we didn’t try, still used condoms til I had been implant free for 6 months- got pregnant first time of trying!)

1 Like

I had the same for 2 whole months :confounded: It only settled after they gave me The Pill to take on top of it. Had random periods after that. Could have nothing for months, then bleeding for 2 weeks only to come off and start again in a few days.

13 years with it and then got fixed. So happy when it finally got removed for the last time.

2 Likes