Asking strangers about clothing or fragrances

Hi, random Friday question for you. This could apply to anyone, but for context I will use my scenario.

I am a male, and sometimes I see a lady that of similar build to my wife wearing something nice, which I think my wife would like - be it a dress, skirt, coat, etc, or she may wear a fragrance which I like.

Is it acceptable, to politely ask where the clothing or fragrance was purchased from, so I can look to get them for my wife, and how should one go about it?

Yes, just ask and say you’d like to get your wife some, i’m sure they’ll only be too pleased to tell you.
I actually saw an older lady wearing metallic blue baseball boots today at work with rainbow stripes on the sides, and i said to her “Cool boots” as i walked past, she said thanks!

1 Like

I would have thought so. I’ve had lots of ladies ask me where I’ve got clothes from or what lip stick I’m wearing, I wouldn’t mind it being a man interested in something for his partner instead. As long as it’s a polite enquiry and clear you’re admiring the product you’re asking about I think it’s fine.

Once at a Chinese takeaway, the guy serving, lent over and smelt my OH and told him he knew what fragrance he was wearing and that he smelt really good. That was a bit weird and we laughed about it quite a lot… so don’t go sniffing people and telling them they smell good but a polite, “Could you tell me what fragrance that is, please? I think my wife would like it” is not going to cause any problems.

1 Like

Can’t see the harm, there is the risk that they may see it as your opening gambit to pick them up.

But I am sure that others would be flattered with the compliment and question.

As long as your not creepy lolp

As long as it’s a polite and respectful request I can’t see many people having an issue with it.

I’ve asked people before and also been asked, it’s flattering really

I’ve asked both men and women about clothing…perfume…footwear and clothing.
I’ve been asked a lot too…especially my footwear…I really don’t mind.

Yes some may think it’s a chat up line…others flattered. As long as like others say you’re not leery or creepy in how you ask then no harm in it at all.

When I was still teaching I used to ask the older girls (15 - 16) about the nail varnish or lipstick they were wearing and for fashion advice. They knew I was asking for my wife and they were very happy to help.

If done in a polite, none threatening way I think that most would be complimenting that you want the same thing they have.

Yeah I’ve done this a few times. It’s definitely going to be the way you word things. I’d like to think most would hopefully see it as a compliment.

My friend has a nose for perfumes/aftershave, literally anyone (if she likes it), will tell them they smell amazing and what are they wearing :joy:

Yeah go for it! Word it how @Peitho said, get your reply and say thanks and walk on. If they say no, then just say ok thanks and walk on but I think most people would be flattered and love that you asked.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice :smiling_face:

Just ask. A really weird thing but a very similar scenario, I have silicone swimming gloves (hard to explain) that I wear when I swim, that help create some resistance for a better workout. Loads of other swimmers are fascinated by them because they work and obviously improve my swimming, and they want to know where to get some for themselves. I’ve been stopped mid-length by people wanting to know where I got my gloves lol, to the point that I thought about keeping a few new pairs in my swim bag and making a kind of side business selling silicone swim gloves. I honestly don’t mind it though, because hey, I’d much rather be stopped because someone appreciates something about me than wants to insult me or hurt me for no apparent reason.

Same with my perfume, but keep in mind that different people have their own natural aromas, and how a fragrance warms on my skin may be very different to how it warms on someone elses’. Though I will always tell people the fragrance that I wear (Jimmy Choo - Illicit, FWIW), I can’t guarantee that it will smell the same on them/their partner.

We’ve also been stopped at events and asked about one of our floggers, a deliciously thick black/purple suede piece not bought from Lovehoney. As an aside, I think I’ve just gone back to not forgiving my husband for leaving me prone over the spanking bench while he talked floggers with his new friend :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for that. The story of the flogger tickled me!

I thought I would ask the question as I got worried about reactions from women with men approaching them asking random questions.

But from what I gathered from everyone, polite, respectful questions may get an answer, or not, but shouldn’t provoke a bad response, and I hope they feel happy that I asked.

1 Like

It tickled him too! He does find himself oh so funny sometimes, and usually at my expense! :joy:

Generally, yes, as long as you’re polite and respectful. Of course not everyone will react favourably but I would chalk it up to the individual, rather than the collective. I think most people would take it as quite a compliment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great advice!

1 Like

Not an issue but i feel the ability to actually ask the question will die out given how young people act now ie cant use a door bell, wont answer the phone to a stranger etc?

1 Like