Best lube and condoms with a skin condition?

So I’ve recently been diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis (a little young at 32 but oh well) and while I’m getting it treated I’m finding that many lubes and condoms are irritating me, I’m often getting pain several hours afterwards, even if I’ve only used toys. I did get a full sexual health check as per the doctors advice and there’s nothing amiss aside from the LS.

Does anyone here have this condition and know of some suitable lube and/or condoms? Even things like vaginal moisturisers are irritating me. I don’t like thick lube and prefer water based lubes and also avoid scented things. Condoms are absolutely essential because I’m in an open relationship so I can’t just not use them.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I can’t help much on the condom front, although I’d agree with @GoGirl12 and say try non latex condoms. I would also suggest looking for non lubricated condoms too (not sure Lovehoney sell any, I only had a quick scan).

In terms of lube, as GoGirl12 said, Yes is a very good natural brand. I’m also a fan of Sliquid, which again is more natural.

I know you said you would prefer water based, but if you are really struggling it might be worth considering silicone lube, as silicone is hypoallergenic. It does need a little more washing off than water based ones and it’s not good with silicone toys so you do need to think about that. A compromise is a hybrid lube which has a small percentage of silicone in it. Generally the small percentage isn’t enough to cause toys any problems.

Also, welcome to the forums!

I would also recommend sliquid for lubes - personally really like their lubes. I don’t have sensitive skin but they have natural ingredients so should be better!

I’m afraid I don’t have any personal suggestions for condoms. Sorry to not be much help!

Really hope you find something that works for you soon!

I’ve no advice to add to that above, but thought I saw welcome to the forum :blush:

Thank you!

I did think about non latex condoms but I don’t think that it’s the latex that’s causing the issue. The trouble with non lubed condoms is that I still need to find a suitable lube.
I do like the idea of being able to try a few different ones so I’ll try the Yes one. I’m not too sure if natural necessarily means kind to skin but it could be worth a shot? Getting wet naturally is quite difficult for me, probably because of the LS, which is why I started trying different lubes.

I also hope that I can figure something out…

Thanks for the advice. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And thanks for the welcomes, I don’t feel so shy now!

1 Like

Welcome! My skin can be a little sensitive and I’ve had irritation from lube before, nowadays I use Sliquid water-based lube and I’ve never had any issues with it at all, it’s unscented and they’re very transparent about the ingredients

I can’t help you with condom recommendations I’m afraid as I don’t use them, but good luck finding ones that work for you!

Hey @Becky.F hope you manage to sort your issue. Welcome to the forum

Hi @Becky.F sorry I can’t offer any suggestions but would like to wish you a warm welcome :smile:

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Becky.F
I have sensitive skin / eczema and find I’m ok with Sliquid Natural Gel lube
It is aloe vera based and doesn’t contain any nasties. Lovehoney sell different sized bottles.
I always used latex-free condoms when I needed them - the latex ones would burn and give me thrush-like symptoms for a couple of days afterwards.

I have extremely sensitive skin (although not the condition you described), and frequently have adverse effects to nearly everything I put on. For example, several lubes in the Sliquid line caused me to have reactions, and they come highly recommended by nearly everyone in the sex community- and for most people I’m sure they are fantastic! The line that has worked best for me is the Wicked Simply Aqua. I have tried 2 of their water based products, and I have been quite happy. I hope you find something that works for you. I know this can be frustrating when you are just trying to have a good time <3

1 Like

Thanks everyone :blush:

So, I’ve tried some non latex condoms but that didn’t seem to make a difference, the problem is likely to be the lubes I think.
You’ve given me some good lube recommendations and it should be fun trying them out :wink:.

Have you had an allergy test? Parabens are a major cause of skin irritations and can be found in lots of things even lubes.