Birds do it, bees do it...

Also seals. To penguins.

My biggest 'WTF?' moment of the week.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/seals-caught-having-sex-penguins

Dirty buggers!!! no pun intended.

rape is a "normal" thing in the animal kingdom as is interspecies sex. its ussually a dominance thing. males often rape other males to show their dominance, strange, and not nice as it probably caused consideral pain to the penguin

..and that was just from sitting on it, poor thing looks flat.

Young and fun95 wrote:

males often rape other males to show their dominance

Really? I'd heard that ancient generals did similar to their defeated counterparts for that reason, but had no idea it was a dominance thing in animals.

Yes it’s true, but I usually beat my chest first to see if that works before resorting to that.

DreamOfTheEndless wrote:

Young and fun95 wrote:

males often rape other males to show their dominance

Really? I'd heard that ancient generals did similar to their defeated counterparts for that reason, but had no idea it was a dominance thing in animals.

yeah alot do, i think its mainly mammals that do it though. but then mammals are the main animals with actual penetrative sex, alot of others have ingenious ways to combine their gametes (eggs/sperm ect)

I saw that a couple of days ago. Scientists aren't quite sure why they're doing it, as it's only been observed four times, be first being in 2006. It's not usual of seals to declare dominance because penguins are no threat to them. Usual acts of sexual encounters to ascertain dominance. A lot of people think that some animals are gay, especially if they have pet dogs, they seem to think it's cute that they have a gay dog, but it's actually a sign of dominance. But seals have never been a species that have been observed expressing sexual domination and this is why its unusual.

Scientists believe it could be the lack of suitable females around and they're using the penguins as a sort of sex toy because they're sexually frustrated. However, becuase this is becoming more commonly observed they now think that this is becoming a learnt behaviour and I will occur more often. Younger seals are watching this going on and imitating them, either because they think it's what they're supposed to do or to release sexual frustration.

A lot of people are outraged by it, it's not nice to see, especially one of the penguins were bleeding quite badly afterwards. It's just nature though, and studies are ongoing to find out why they're doing this.