Kamikaze sperm!

Whilst reading an article found on a site in Bonny's list i was highly amused by talk of mythological kamikaze sperm! i had no idea that this was something people believed lol!

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/090709-sperm-competition.html

"One idea that's been floating around for years: Humans have "kamikaze sperm" whose sole aim is to knock out the other guy's sperm, should any be there. Evidence doesn't support this popular but apparent myth, however, though it persists because it sounds cool."

i have never heard that one before lol!

DesignDude wrote:

Whilst reading an article found on a site in Bonny's list i was highly amused by talk of mythological kamikaze sperm! i had no idea that this was something people believed lol!

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/090709-sperm-competition.html

"One idea that's been floating around for years: Humans have "kamikaze sperm" whose sole aim is to knock out the other guy's sperm, should any be there. Evidence doesn't support this popular but apparent myth, however, though it persists because it sounds cool."

i have never heard that one before lol!

Although.....

Its believed men have a flared tip (most other mammals don't) to help dislodge a rivals sperm. They done studies with dildos to test it!

hmm intrigueing that atleast sounds like it makes sense lol!

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

^.^ How much rival sperm is there to compete against in natural circumstances?

Seeing as humans aren't strictly monogomous then probably a fair bit.

Maybe two streams running together kinda diverts the sperm along a new unpredictable path, ever seen raindrops running down a window !!!! Thus while those involved would travel further an lose, their friends and colleagues would suck seed so to speak- yep nature is a wondrous thing, it could well be true!!

TB

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Well, you know... Monkeys have more freelance sex than us, but you dont see any studys revealing that their sperm can knock out rivals! Got to be entirely untrue... If it was there would be no need for GM babies etc thanks to the Darwinian sperm!

I was refering to our 'scoopy' willies! Because there might be rival sperm we can scoop it out.. not a nice thought like..

I did once hear a story of a woman who gave birth to (unidentical) twins to 2 different fathers; apparently she had sex with two men the night after each other and had released 2 eggs. Not sure if it was true but it sounds feasible!

Aquabunny wrote:

I did once hear a story of a woman who gave birth to (unidentical) twins to 2 different fathers; apparently she had sex with two men the night after each other and had released 2 eggs. Not sure if it was true but it sounds feasible!

There's a reason for contrception if i ever heard one!

Aquabunny wrote:

Yep I remember hearing that, I think it was true because one kid was mixed race and the other was black.

WandA wrote:

Aquabunny wrote:

Yep I remember hearing that, I think it was true because one kid was mixed race and the other was black.

That's the one!

Last year at uni we had a whole lecture on insect sex....

Damselflies (or a similar organism, I might be thinking of the wrong species!) spend about 40 minutes having sex.

Great you think? That's what I thought, until we were told that 38 minutes of that is just the male 'using a series of hooks and barbs attached to the end of his penis to scrape out other male's semen from the female's reproductive cavity'. Mmmmmm!

Jake of Facts and Friction wrote:

Last year at uni we had a whole lecture on insect sex....

Damselflies (or a similar organism, I might be thinking of the wrong species!) spend about 40 minutes having sex.

Great you think? That's what I thought, until we were told that 38 minutes of that is just the male 'using a series of hooks and barbs attached to the end of his penis to scrape out other male's semen from the female's reproductive cavity'. Mmmmmm!

Wonder if scraping counts as foreplay? Well, ladies?

Better than sticking it in while your heads eaten off...

hmm some of theese are weird

the only one that sounds feasable is the non identical twins one

the insect one is true! you should check out the pictures! some of them look like torture implements! there was on that rips out the females insides to make sure no other insect could mate with them

DesignDude wrote:

the insect one is true! you should check out the pictures! some of them look like torture implements! there was on that rips out the females insides to make sure no other insect could mate with them External Media

Have you heard about the 'Traumatic sex' or something like that? You basically fight your partner... the winner gets to stab the loser with their penis... actually stab them. Thats buggy things too, mite be fleas or mites, something like that.

Jeez that sounds a bit rough! lol

DesignDude wrote:

Jeez that sounds a bit rough! External Media lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_insemination

Ahhhh... Bedbugs it was!

yh ive heard of this especially in insects which are known to have scoop tails or something to rid other mate sperm, its crazy, and must be a competition thing in humans i guess...battle of the fittest