Bondage Hoods / Gimp Masks / Face Muzzles

For me it just reminds me too much of something a condemmned prisoner would wear and becomes impersonal to me. I know it sounds daft and I can see were your coming from with the expansion of the blindfold theory. At least with a blindfold though you can still see your lovers face .

And the gas masks they would just feak me out which would be the progression from the mask itself. . i also don't like the smell of rubber or latex .Not keen on the smell of PVC either but I could tolerate it.

mysteron wrote:

Generally not for us, as neither of us are into fetish wear as such.Althoughpersonally I do like leather corsets on a woman. I could see uses for the Cat mask as part of a Catwomen costume but that's as far as I think we would go .

+1 to this. Haven't tried one. Love the Bondage look pvc, latex and leather and a partial over the eye mask I would use but not a full mask. There are also more items on lovehoney that get priority such as toys and restraints

Yes, Jess, that progression does make sense to me, even if I'm not convinced I would follow it personally.

I have never tried one. Be it hood, mask, or muzzle. I do like blindfolds, though... well, the concept anyway. I still need to acquire one that actually works for me. (I want to try the red LH Tease and the Fetish Fantasy blinder mask.)

It would indeed be a natural next step to try one, with my blindfold problems in mind. The biggest reasons I haven't considered it (yet) are:
First, the aesthetics. I don't really like the look of most or all of the ones I've seen and I'm pretty sure my SO finds them far more zany/weird/freaky/funny than sexy. In the end, he's pretty much up for anything though, so if I turned up wearing one he might have a laugh but go for it anyway.
Second, the comfort seems highly questionable. On one hand, your point about having no focused pressure or a strap/buckle/knot in the back of your head is valid. On the other, the material all over my skin and flattening my hair to my head and neck would surely bother me. Breathableness wouldn't neccessarily cure this, though it would make it more bearable. Still- hair placement. I would probably prefer one with nose hole(s) and definitely would want a mouth hole so my SO could still kiss me and/or... put other things in it.

I might be encouraged to try one if I continue to struggle to find a good blindfold. Also if there were more... how to put this?... less fetish-y ones available. Like others have said, most of them being basically black bags that turn you into a bald mannekin head are very robber/prisoner/voodoo doll. Unfeminine yes. All around dehumanising, really, which doesn't do it for me. The muzzles and cat masks might be great for super hero/villain roleplay, but they're too silly for everyday in my opinion.

The factors that would have the biggest impact on my trying one would be, again as others have said, price first of all. They would need to be not too far from blindfold prices to appeal to me. Wider variety of materials (would much prefer breathable, soft and flexible, non-animal-dervived natural fibers especially) and styles (less hardcore, roleplayish, or fetishised), too.

I would be exponentially more likely to give it a go if it were part of a deal or kit which includes things I have been considering or that I already know I like, so that it would feel like less of a risk.

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

To me, a bondage hood with covered eyes but an open mouth seems like the logical progression from a heavy duty blindfold as it does the same thing, but is so much more comfortable (no buckle or tie at the back of the head to lie on).

This makes sense to me. To me it's a progression because with a blindfold you have your sight taken, with an open mouth hood you have both your sight taken and your hearing muffled. It's a great way to take sensory play just a bit further.

I've never tried one, mainly because I have a list as long as my arm of things I want but also because I haven't seen one that is exactly what I want. It's definitely on my want list because of the sensory deprivation aspect.

The main thing that would encourage me is price and how closely it fits with my ideal hood. I'd like a black total blackout hood with an open mouth (so I have my mouth available for blowjobs etc).  I'd especially love it if it also blocked out sound. My ideal hood would be restrictive so probably spandex (although I'd be open to any other restrictive material apart from latex).

I'd probably be more likely to buy one if it was part of an offer. There are a couple in the 3 for £30 deal but they don't exactly fit with what I want (e.g. This one http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33994 is close but I would want the gag to be removable).

I do really want a hood and if one appears that fits with what I want, I'll definitely buy it.

Like 'em? Hate 'em? Never tried one?

Haven't tried.

If you haven't tried one, why not? Would you ever try one?

I'm a scaredy cat. Never say never.

What would encourage you to try a hood if you haven't already?

A partner who I had enormous trust in who really wanted me to.

What has/would have the biggest impact on your decision to try a hood?

Price - It would have to be cheap because I wouldn't want to spend a lot on something I didn't like (even knowing the Lovehoney returns policy!)

Style - I'd be much more likely to try a hood that left my mouth exposed as that's what gives me the biggest fear,

I would definitely try one as a step up from a blindfold. I think hearing muffling and even mouth cover would be ok but my OH doesn't find the look of them very appealing. More scary than sexy!

Do they make a clear one that is black only over the eyes?

Never tried, never would. I hate having my face/ears/hair/neck covered, even when necessary such as keeping warm in winter, so I would never willingly cover those bodyparts. I would hate sweat and polyester and bad breathing options too. I also hate the idea of them because I like sex to be elegant and stylish (even when rough and messy) and the hoods just look creepy and burgler-esque to me, pretty unaesthetical. So I wouldn't wear one and I wouldn't want my husband to wear one. I do love blindfolds, but at this point I can't see us "progressing" to hoods.

We have a heavy pleather sensory depravation hood, which has heavy padding over the eyes and ears, a tiny breathing hole at the mouth and straps and buckles to tighten it around the eyes and under the chin.
It's one of the first things we bought when we met a few years back, but my OH has never been a big fan of it. She'll wear it if I ask her though. I enjoy using it as its a bit more serious than a blindfold, there's no way to just slip it off as there are laces up the back and buckles to undo. The only thing is it's not very pretty to look at, it's more the thought that's she's totally helpless with it on that's the fun part.
If I was buying another I think I'd want a hood that has detachable blindfold and gag (ball/ring/muzzle?) so it could be changed to match the scenario we were acting out. And definately made of a nicer material, like real leather.

I like to think I'm pretty open to tring anything once
but I haven't tryed .
mainly as i don't want to spend on something that may be a once use
i don't find hoods actractive at all .
which i know there not spose to.
more to De humanities to incrourage more savage instincts and let go.
For me though i like sex with a human and and only want to dominate in away that's wanted.
So I'm not worried by the whole separate my self bit.

I am also asthmatic so the thought of being restricted of air in any Way panics me, from attacks in past.
If i was to try I'd have to have open mouth and nose plus i love to suck his cock

the thing that dose appeal is total blackout so would want that as a must ... But I'd also want soft light fabric to not feel sufficated.
So many things matter to me with that i just haven't found one i like look of either .
made a of soft open mouth nose and built in blackout mask would encourage me if was not expensive as wouldn't pay a lot to try first time.
Also maybe use colour to make more feminine over corset style roses.???

I like to think I'm pretty open to tring anything once
but I haven't tryed .
mainly as i don't want to spend on something that may be a once use
i don't find hoods actractive at all .
which i know there not spose to.
more to De humanities to incrourage more savage instincts and let go.
For me though i like sex with a human and and only want to dominate in away that's wanted.
So I'm not worried by the whole separate my self bit.

I am also asthmatic so the thought of being restricted of air in any Way panics me, from attacks in past.
If i was to try I'd have to have open mouth and nose plus i love to suck his cock

the thing that dose appeal is total blackout so would want that as a must ... But I'd also want soft light fabric to not feel sufficated.
So many things matter to me with that i just haven't found one i like look of either .
made a of soft open mouth nose and built in blackout mask would encourage me if was not expensive as wouldn't pay a lot to try first time.
Also maybe use colour to make more feminine over corset style roses.???

I think a lace back would be good also. That would let in air and feel soft and not so ugly then move thicker front just a thought

I love latex masks but they need to have eye holes and mouth holes. The latex on the skin just feels so nice and it complements the rest of my outfits so well.

Personally i like the idea of full enclosure in a material that has little give to it. The subdued feeling and the sensory deprivation would be amazing.

Something that puts me off is lying on buckles or them digging in, laces that come loose, being able to see around the eye covers and attachments that are too fiddly to attach.

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

For example, some hoods act as a blindfold and cover the eyes to heighten sensitivity, others have open mouth and eyes and are more for aesthetic purposes, and some cover the whole head and are for making the wearer feel subdued.

To me, a bondage hood with covered eyes but an open mouth seems like the logical progression from a heavy duty blindfold as it does the same thing, but is so much more comfortable (no buckle or tie at the back of the head to lie on).

Perhaps I'm just desensitised from working here, but does this progression make sense to you? Or do you feel as though it's an entirely different experience using a hood?

Never tried one, but if we did I think a hood like you describe would be good, sort of a 'super-blindfold', possibly even using satin as a material for the most part, with just the eye area re-inforced (like the excellent blindfolds in the LH 7 piece bondage sets).

Personally my OH gets very claustrophobic, which causes her to panic, but is quite happy with blindfolds and general tying down. As such I can see that a hood that was eye covering, but very 'face open' would be ideal.