Cats

Neighbours of ours allow their cats out and for some time now one of their cats keeps shitting in our garden.

We have a lovely garden but everytime we mow the lawn, the shit is there. My husband has spoken to the owner who we are quite friendly with. My husband told him straight that if he sees the cat in the garden he will kick it. Our neighbour totally understood this and said it was ok to kick it away.

Well we rarely see the cat doing its thing so cannot always frighten it away but its becoming so annoying as this has been happening since we moved here several years ago. I also know of other neighbours who started growing herbs and vegetables in their front garden only to find cat poo in the morning and they have had to stop growing their veg and herbs.

I know you cant keep cats indoors, well not all cats and i doubt i could convince our neighbour to do this. There are other cats in the neighbourhood that would take over our garden as their territory I am sure but i am even considering some kind of poison to put down, not to kill the cat but to make it sick.

I dont think i would go ahead with it but I cant tolerate it any longer.

Any suggestions?

why don't you try orange peels. cats (usually) dont like the smell

putting sticks/wooden poles around the area that they do it might help

you can buy comercial spray detterants from places like garden centres as well

it's a bit drastic to expect an animal to be confined to the house or to make it ill (or worse) over the sake of it being in your garden.

sweetlove666 wrote:

it's a bit drastic to expect an animal to be confined to the house or to make it ill (or worse) over the sake of it being in your garden.

Thanks for the advice but i hear the cats get used to spray deterants, orange peel and even tiger poo.

In my opinion if you want to have cats then ensure you train them. We have been very tolerant .. several years sweetlove. I do have my grandaughter over sometimes and it means we cant sit on the grass. Why should i have to forego sitting on the grass with friends and family because someone can not keep their cat from shitting ( not just being) in our garden?

I think i will actually ask my neighbour to pay for the sound emitter or powder stuff you mention .. after all, its his cat that is doing the deed.

Dee_licious333 wrote:

sweetlove666 wrote:

Thanks for the advice but i hear the cats get used to spray deterants, orange peel and even tiger poo.

In my opinion if you want to have cats then ensure you train them. We have been very tolerant .. several years sweetlove. I do have my grandaughter over sometimes and it means we cant sit on the grass. Why should i have to forego sitting on the grass with friends and family because someone can not keep their cat from shitting in other peoples garden?

cats are animals - they do not know whos garden it is.

cats can be litter trained however as older cats its incredibly hard and very unlikley, it's also problematic for outdoor cats to be litter trained because theyre not near the litter tray.

would you get annoyed if there was bird droppings, hedgehog poo or any other kind of feaces in the garden from other animals? animals poo more or less wherever, it's not singling out your garden.

do you really expect your neighbours to follow their cat around to teach it not to poo in your garden?

and have you tried the deterants? if they get used to it change the brand or invest in one of the sensors, or maybe even alter your fences so the cat cannot climb over.

or could you do what me and my family have done for years - move the poo ( using a shovel) and put a blanket down. it's cat poo, not toxic waste!

you're seriously considering killing or injuring your neighbours cat because its doing something that it doesnt know is wrong or upsetting and is natural.

Ork wrote:

Dee_licious333 wrote:

I think i will actually ask my neighbour to pay for the sound emitter or powder stuff you mention .. after all, its his cat that is doing the deed.

Sadly most owners won't fork out for anything which being honest make's sense in a way it's your garden sort of arguement but if they refuse I would contact the local council or who ever and see what you can do legally.

legally not much - the cat/nuiscance existed before they moved in, meaning there's no liability on the part of the owners.

sweetlove666 wrote:

would you get annoyed if there was bird droppings, hedgehog poo or any other kind of feaces in the garden from other animals? animals poo more or less wherever, it's not singling out your garden.

They dont have owners. I never said it was singling out my garden.. please read what i said.

do you really expect your neighbours to follow their cat around to teach it not to poo in your garden?

I expect them to train their so called pet, pest more like.

and have you tried the deterants? if they get used to it change the brand or invest in one of the sensors, or maybe even alter your fences so the cat cannot climb over.

Why should i pay for something that isnt my fault.

or could you do what me and my family have done for years - move the poo ( using a shovel) and put a blanket down. it's cat poo, not toxic waste!#

Im not touching any animals shit. Maybe i will suggest to the owner they remove it.

you're seriously considering killing or injuring your neighbours cat because its doing something that it doesnt know is wrong or upsetting and is natural.

And where did i say SERIOUSLY??? please read what i said. It may be the only way to stop it shitting on our lawn, yes i cant say i havent considered it

sweetlove666 wrote:

Ork wrote:

Dee_licious333 wrote:

Sadly most owners won't fork out for anything which being honest make's sense in a way it's your garden sort of arguement but if they refuse I would contact the local council or who ever and see what you can do legally.

legally not much - the cat/nuiscance existed before they moved in, meaning there's no liability on the part of the owners.

No the cat didnt exist before us/before we moved in sweetlove. Please get your facts right!!

You can ask, but I doubt they'll be very receptive if you're looking for more than a few quid. After all, cats are a lot less domesticated than dogs, and aren't so easy to train; once they decide something's their territory, unless they're dissuaded, they'll not respond to any argument that they're wrong!

Garlic flakes/powder, cinnamon, or black pepper works well, as they really don't like the smell or taste, and after a few trips they'll associate your garden with getting it on their paws and stop bothering. Take a bit for them to make the association, but generally once they give up, they stay away for good.

Different cats have different tolerances to all the usual tricks, so better to try the cheap homemade solutions before shelling out for a noise emitter that this particular cat might not be bothered by.

BashfulBabe wrote:

Garlic flakes/powder, cinnamon, or black pepper works well, as they really don't like the smell or taste, and after a few trips they'll associate your garden with getting it on their paws and stop bothering. Take a bit for them to make the association, but generally once they give up, they stay away for good.

Different cats have different tolerances to all the usual tricks, so better to try the cheap homemade solutions before shelling out for a noise emitter that this particular cat might not be bothered by.

Ah now black pepper and garlic could work well. Will give that a go. Thank you.

Ork wrote:

I would say now it is in my experience if you are planning such things as murder best not tell people on the internet lol. Jokes aside though maybe invest in an auto mated senseor activated sprinkler? I have seen it done once very effective.

Nobody knows who i am. And its not murder.. if i was killing a person then yes it would be. lol

Following on, i cannot move the fences, they are boundary fences and give privacy plus they are quite high and the cats jump from neighbours fences onto ours.

Thanks for everyones advice.

I have nothing against cats.

It's cat "owners" that need educating.

1. You can not "own" (ie reasonably control) a cat. It may sleep in your house on occasion and visit your house to feed. But that is all.

2. If you took your dog into your neighbours garden so that it could do a shit and then took. your dog home, leaving the shit for your neighbour to deal with, you would soon get a slap from said neighbour; or advised by the law to stop it. Why is it that idiotic cat owners buy these creatures, knowing them to be free roaming and wild? They are not suitable as pets. Again I blame not the animal but the crazy cat owning idiots

Having said that, my GFs pussy is very well behaved....

Hi Dee

I own a cat and a dog so understand the issue, if I caught someone kicking my old lady I would tear them apart.

We used to have a pond and had big problems with a couple of local tom cats fishing, the best cure is a decent quality water pistol- the super soaker type are brilliant. Every time you catch the cat in your garden shoot at it. It may take a while but they get it eventually.

xGGx

Ork wrote:

DoorGlass wrote:

I have nothing against cats.

It's cat "owners" that need educating.

1. You can not "own" (ie reasonably control) a cat. It may sleep in your house on occasion and visit your house to feed. But that is all.

2. If you took your dog into your neighbours garden so that it could do a shit and then took. your dog home, leaving the shit for your neighbour to deal with, you would soon get a slap from said neighbour; or advised by the law to stop it. Why is it that idiotic cat owners buy these creatures, knowing them to be free roaming and wild? They are not suitable as pets. Again I blame not the animal but the crazy cat owning idiots

Comparing it to a dog is as pointless as me saying it's like me taking a sub in to your back garden on a lead and.... dog's are not cats and cats are not dogs for more information see the cats and dogs film lol.

Bar that bit I agree with the education factor some people really have no clue but some people do like a pet they can let out and not be bothered by all day. in saying that some area's just aren't good for cats.

I wouldn't say the comparison is pointless. Just shows how unpet-like cats are.

They're not really pets at all. Snooty, independent, "I'll rub your leg when I'm hungry" slut of a beast!

Better off with a sub.... at least they can't scale high fences in a single bound. Can they???

I feel its important at this point to draw clear boundaries, before we continue.

When I use the generic term ,"cats", I do not include the "Thundercats".

Maybe Snarf.

ghostgirl wrote:

Hi Dee

I own a cat and a dog so understand the issue, if I caught someone kicking my old lady I would tear them apart.

We used to have a pond and had big problems with a couple of local tom cats fishing, the best cure is a decent quality water pistol- the super soaker type are brilliant. Every time you catch the cat in your garden shoot at it. It may take a while but they get it eventually.

xGGx

We dont see the cat all the time thats the problem. If a cat wants to risk coming into our garden and if we do catch it we probably will chase after it, doubt we would get to kick it but the owner has given us permission to. I am not talking beating the thing half to death for gods sake.

ghostgirl wrote:

Hi Dee

xGGx

This sounds like a good non-cruel solution.

In fact I think I may buy a dozen or so cats - and a couple of super mega huge soakers.

Get a couple of mates round, few beers.

Great fun.

Hi Dee. Ever seen these spikes? The reviews aren't bad!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fence-Wall-Spikes-13-5M-BROWN/dp/B0046YJNCM/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1339896438&sr=1-1

SG x

ghostgirl wrote:

Hi Dee

xGGx

Joking aside, you shouldn't have to patrol your garden with a giant water pistol....

.....then again, maybe we need our free roaming cats to keep the rats in their place. One cat turd may serve as a deterent, sending out a message to the rats to keep out of your garden?

But then rats are just as innocent. Driven underground into our sewers by us...and then demonised by us for living in our shit.

The stoats are the sly arse ones. See Wind in the Willows.

SEXYGET 69 wrote:

Hi Dee. Ever seen these spikes? The reviews aren't bad!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fence-Wall-Spikes-13-5M-BROWN/dp/B0046YJNCM/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1339896438&sr=1-1

SG x

Wow, they are not too costly really. Thanks SG - i will try the black pepper and orange peel over the next few weeks .. if that doesn work I will consider the spikes.

Door glass where i live is semi rural not on a council estate and not near any restaurants or cafes, so rats are not a problem where i live. Youre right, i dont have time to wait for the cat to jump in so I wil try alternative methods, non costly at first. If it still persists, i will suggest the owner parts with some cash to buy the spikes. Watch this space!!! Thx all for the advice.