Changed my job.

Penny26 wrote:

Congrats ! May I ask how is the new knee ? was it a total replacement ? do you have to now drive an automatic ? I only ask as I am going to have a knee replacement very soon and I love driving and especially towing my caravan x

Hi Penny, my knee was a full replacement with complications. I've hand lots of issues from a military beginning to Rugby. I severed my cruciate ligament chipping the knee plateau. I was very lucky 25 years ago was given a new cruciate artificial ligament. It lasted about 20 years. After 5 years of increasing pain and pain management. Finely my surgeon said enough . you need a new knee now.

I needed to have the remnants of these operations removed before I could have the new knee.

Its been amazing but I took the time to loose weight and get fit by swimming prior to my op. Did all my exercises post op too.

I drive with a clutch purely because I want the e exdrcjy for my new knee. You are so right. I do occasionally drive our V class Merc which is automatic. Drivings not the problem, its the inactivity from long drives it stiffens. I get out look for a kerb and do step ups , calf raises and stretches of it.

I would totally. Recommend having a knew knee but it's a long 18 months to full healing.

Good luck and I hope yours goes as well as mine xxx

Gentle Giant, thanks so much for your reply and very useful information, I was told I was too young and I held off for 4 years, that was my injured right knee, I tore a ligament too and smashed patella into a concrete block! I had the ligament repaired and an arthroscopy, in the meantime my left knee has caught up in the Arthritis and pain stakes and I am badly hobbling ! gives me back ache.

I swim, static bike, walk, do pilates to keep mobility, I think as you suggest enough is enough and I need to get them both done, It is a bit daunting!

Penny26 your very welcome and I'm so sorry to hear of your predicament. I had a total of 5 ops to stave the inevitable off. The pain management meds are not good long term and are not good long term.
I'm not saying that knee replacements are perfect I'm still mending but after 6 years I'm almost pain free. However it's a learning curve to teach yourself the limitations of a false knee.
Once the knee reaches is maximum straight flex it stop totally. Also there is no lateral movement.
The biggest thing is if your in a cold wind for long it feels like sucking cold air over a knee filling lol.
You can never kneel again but I guess like me you couldn't kneel before.

The upshot for me after getting off the meds my sex drive went back to its very high self.

I've just landed a fixed-term administrative job in Higher Education to see me through until Christmas. I'll be job hunting again in the new year, but I have a bit of relief for a month. I'm grateful.

Well done and good luck 🍀