Clothing advice needed please

Hello All, Happy New Year!

This is totally off topic for the Lovehoney website, but I honestly can't think of anyone else to ask. This is a bit of a long post so please bear with me!

Over the last few years I've really put on weight - mainly caused by comfort eating relating to my depression. The trouble is all the weight seems to have gone onto my lower tummy area. Looking at myself face-on I look fine with a nice pear-shaped silhouette, BUT looking at myself from the side I basically look pregnant but with the weight at the lower end towards my hips - there's no defined waist. The weight doesn't seem to have increased my hips or bum when viewed from behind and I can easily feel my hip bones.

I usually slouch around in tracksuit bottoms as I'm not able to work due to my health, but I'd really like to look nice when hubby and I go out for a meal later this month (I'd usually wear jeans and a top with trainers). Ideally I'd like to wear a skirt or dress so I can wear suspenders and stockings underneath as I know he finds them sexy. I've tried on a few 'straight' style skirts but they just look terrible as they stick out so much at the front, and pleated skirts seem to make me look huge.

Should I give up the idea and go with leggings and a long top instead? Maybe I should look at maternity wear? I'm a UK size 14/16 with 42" hip measurement.

Has anyone got any ideas please? I'd really like to boost my self-confidence by looking nice but I'm struggling to find anything that looks ok.

Thank you for reading this, and for your help ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif)

I have a baby belly after having 2 children and like you its much more noticeable from a side view.

I usually wear leggings or jeans with a longish pretty top but I have found that I can wear straight skirts if they're made of a material that stretches and they're fairly short (makes my short legs look longer). I wear a top that finishes just below my tummy with it and surprisingly it looks good. Like you again I love to wear stockings and suspenders and this enables me to do this. A cardigan or jacket that is the same length as the skirt completes the outfit xx

Thanks for your reply Terri JJ. I hadn't thought to try the stretchy type fabric skirts so I'll certainly give them a go.

P.S. love your avi picture! hubby bought me the "naughty nurse" dress recently but I haven't worn it yet as I've been lacking the confidence.

I used to be your size too and for dressing up to go out I would wear a maxi dress with a low V and a ruched tummy, covering my bigger bits and showing off my assets! I love colour and opting for this makes me feel more confident x Phase Eight and Debenhans were great for maxi dresses xx

the vintage style dresses are totally in at the moment they have the benefits of an A-line skirt which hides multiple sins cinched high waist and flattering on the breasts, they typically lie just above or just below the knee so also show some leg x

I think an Aline style would suit you and is so flattering if you have a bit of extra pooch in the middle or lower abs.
Alternatively empire line is great as it totally skims the abs and has a high waist starting under the boobs. This is great to show off some cleavage and detract away from the tummy area.

As you have already found out steer away from pleats as they make everyone look much bigger regardless of size or bodyshape. pencil skirts would suit you if you wear a blouse to drape over the top instead of tucked in.

The supermarkets are particularly good for this sort of thing I find. I got a lovely dress last week from Tesco, knee length, jersey and a v neck and it looks so expensive and it cost the grand sum of £5 😊

Don't give up you will find something.
Just thought you can always get some control pants to hide any lumps and bumps and slip them off before getting down to business 😜

Ah, regular clothes is where I come in useful. I'm a seamstress so I can usually tell straight up what will suit someone. I've piled on pounds but losing them, I could lose all my weight but still have my mummy tummy, wide hips and round bum.

Skirts are probably the most difficult thing to get right. I adore circle skirts I love the poofiness of them especially with an underskirt but they do my no justice! A dark coloured higher waist a-line skirt would be a good start. Yours clothing is a great place for sizes 14 and up. If you invest in one good skirt you can do so much with it. If you team it with a bold top it will draw attention away from your problem areas. A simple tshirt tucked into the waist with a pair of pumps is practical and comfortable.

Thank you so much ladies for taking the time to reply, it's very much appreciated ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif)

You've given me lots of tips and ideas so I feel more hopeful of finding something now. I naturally steered away from the popular A line skirts you see everywhere at the mo as I thought they wouldn't look good but I'll certainly try them now, along with the stretchy fabric pencil skirts.

Best wishes x