Dating sites - good idea or bad? :-/

Has anyone on here met their OH through a dating site? I'm single & thinking about joining one but my friends all seem to have really bad experiences on them so it puts me off, please someone give me a story of romance & hope rather than players & cheats who are just after a bit on thea side lol! X

I met my now wife and submissive on a dating site. We messaged eachother loads, then started texting. We then spoke on the phone before out first date to make sure we could hold a verbal conversation (very important), then we met. The rest, I guess, is history. There are some proper weirdos on there, but you can spot them a mile off. As long as you put exactly what you're after on your profile and you speak on the phone before you meet, you should be fine.

I have friends who are very happy with their partners that they've met through them but I've never felt comfortable with them myself...but then I can be overly sensitive about my looks and rejection...you need to have a healthy self esteem and decent thickness of skin and don't take it too seriously..that's where I've failed ;-)

Give it a go..I wouldn't ever say I'd not try them again but my advice would be not to wear rose tinted glasses..there are ALOT of guys who aren't sincere so don't go on one with a too romantic view... realistic and hopeful is good :-)
The free sites are hook up sites, you're better to pay..it cuts it down a bit. I've tried pretty much all of them over the last 6 yrs but you just have to go to whichever one you think suits you more.

Good luck and if you decide to go for it, keep us posted :-)

I met my fiancee through a dating site, i wouldnt change it for the world!

X

So there is hope! Did you use a regular dating site or something Dom/sub related because that's my kinda thing but obviously not everyone is into that & if you don't mind me asking is yours a full dom/sub relationship or just in the bedroom?

Sorry just saw your reply ladybette.....think that's a good idea about going for a paying site (and I'd never even thought of it) so will have a look around & see what I can find, my friend just seems to have so much bad luck & it put me off lol!
Nevans.... I love a happy ending, pleased it worked out for you

jr78, please read thru this thread: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-tips-and-talk/1195210-quietly-optimistic/

You'll soon discover a very romantic love story written by naughty mum that started with online meeting. :)

My husband and I met on Oasis in February 2013. He was the first and only person I spoke to on there. We messaged for nearly a week before meeting. We haven't been apart since the day we met and we celebrated our first wedding anniversary in May. I didn't believe in love at first sight until the day I met him. We've never had a crossed word, which some find hard to believe. There are a lot of horror stories out there and I can't believe how lucky we were to have found each other. You'll never know until you try, just be careful and set out exactly what you are and aren't looking for. Good luck ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

That's ok, was a bit worried I was too negative when I didn't mean to be! I've had lots of bad luck but have met some good guys, we just weren't meant for each other.
Don't let us put you off :-)

And naughty mums thread is a great suggestion by era! Fantastic read..and very romantic :-)

I can concur with my wife. It's a good place to look providing your careful, as I'm sure there are plenty of players on these sites. However don't let that put you off as I'm sure there are just as many genuine, nice people who frequent dating sites. I consider myself very fortunate to have met the love of my life, fortunate being the operative word as I was about to log off Oasis but decided to have one more click of the mouse (so glad I did). After almost a week chatting we decided to meet. The moment our eyes met that was it and as my wife said we have never spent a day apart since. Fortune favours the brave so they say ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

I met my man on UniformDating - lots of creeps and weirdos, but I'm glad I met my man, we've been together nearly 3years now and we live together, very happy, looking to get engaged and married :)

My best advice would be to go for profiles with more than one photo of themself, I found a lot of profiles where there were trolls that had found a picture of someone off facebook and used it to set up a fake profile.

I met my bf online. We messaged each other and really hit it off so decided to meet up within 3 days of our first messages. We've been together 20 months now, which I know isn't an awful long time but he's everything I wanted and more. It was the best decision I made as I wouldn't have met him any other way. I went online as I ended my marriage and rare nights out lead to being chatted up by blokes who was only interested in one night stands. Although newly single I wanted a relationship not no strings fun. It certainly worked for me and would recommend it.

There was an interesting article in Daily Mail today,where reporter tried to cancel after a month,because of disappointment,then magically started getting emails off `Matches` as soon as she put phone down,none of whom she could get to actually meet her,and one knew info she`d only shared with another! The implication being,they were using fake contacts to try and keep her.A claim i`d heard before elsewhere.

I have friends that met on Plenty of Fish, got married, have a baby and are very happy.

I however find it hard to find people with similar (odd, weird) interests as me which is important. I do however date people I've met online but I find on dating sites you're just inundated with people that have looked at your photo but not at your interests.

I met my lovely partner on OkCupid two years ago, and quite a few of my friends met their partners there too. They're definitely not just hookup sites. If you're worried about players and such, google it, there are lots of articles on how to spot them. Knowing a bit about PUA/pickup/game helps in that respect. Once you do, you can generally spot them a mile off. I wrote a longer reply about this in another thread about dating sites, can't remember where it is (I only joined the forum tonight) but you should be able to find it. Good luck and have fun!

Both...Just be careful....

I met one guy online and he seemed amazing. Then raped me.

But at the same time i have met many guys via dating sites who were fantastic. It never hit off.... but we had some great dates.

Just be cautious and remember that people are not always what they seem online.

Have you seen that photo of a dirty looking 'sterotypical' criminal and a little girl in a pink dress.... then the photo goes behind and you see the girl holding an axe and the guy holding a bunch of flowers? I think that can be abit like internet dating...

MissBrownEyes92, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I don't know if rape is more likely to happen with online dating, but it's certainly far too common amongst people who are on a relationship or just friends. I've experienced rape in a relationship where we met through a friend rather than online. It's horrible that women have to take all these safety precautions in the hope that it'll keep them safe from rape, and almost no one is telling men not to rape women. At least some dating sites set up situations where people will confess to not caring about consent, like the infamous question you can answer with assorted possible responses to "No means no". It won't filter out all of them, of course, but it does help you dodge some of the rapists.

I found where I posted the longer discussion of online dating, by the way: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-tips-and-talk/1294814-dating-sites-free-or-subscription/page-2/#p1301660.

Bad
.....Prefer to see and sample before buying haha!

*Shoot me now*. Had only gone off the, ops post.......begs for forgiveness then runs to hide under the bed!
I sincerely apologise and, of course, promise to be more cautious in the future.

MissBrownEyes92 wrote:

Both...Just be careful....

I met one guy online and he seemed amazing. Then raped me.

But at the same time i have met many guys via dating sites who were fantastic. It never hit off.... but we had some great dates.

Just be cautious and remember that people are not always what they seem online.

Have you seen that photo of a dirty looking 'sterotypical' criminal and a little girl in a pink dress.... then the photo goes behind and you see the girl holding an axe and the guy holding a bunch of flowers? I think that can be abit like internet dating...

It's awful that you had such a horrendous ordeal. May I also state... good advice for people who aren't so cautious. I'm grateful to the poster, because caution is very important. Take care of yourself.