Disposal of old toys

Does anyone know where you can discreetly dispose of unwanted or broken sex toys? I don't really want to put them out for recycling collection 😳

Send them to us! We will recycle unwanted electronic sex toys for you.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/rabbitamnesty/

We can't recycle non-electrical products but I am sure some others will chime in with ideas of how to get rid of them discreetly.

Lovehoney for the win!! I was talking about electrical what with the WEEE directive. Can't have unwanted rabbits messing up the environment 🐰

I sent a huge box of old vibes to the rabbit amnesty last month! It's a great service, just a shame you can't really dispose of dildos anywhere yet, but I have found if you chop them up into tiny pieces you can recycle them in the relevant bins.

1 Like

Use a public bin? If you wrap it up in a bit of paper or plastic it will be discrete.

Can't you wrap them in a few bags before putting them in the sack.. this is usually what we do.

1 Like

Delboy1991 wrote:

Can't you wrap them in a few bags before putting them in the sack.. this is usually what we do.

Cutecountrygirl wrote:

Use a public bin? If you wrap it up in a bit of paper or plastic it will be discrete.

Wow...do you guys not think of the environmental impact of just chucking unwanted electricals in to landfill?! 😮

The above posters may be refering to non electrical toys that can not be recycled such as jelly dildos maybe?

1 Like

No need to be rude..

She didn't state if they was electrical... and neither did I. And also public bins also have recycling bins.... just the same way sacks come in both pink and black. !

Some people don't have the luxury of recycling bins Corset_is. Where I live there are many small towns and villages where access to these services are very limited. Our only recycling bins are on the school grounds. We used to have a paper recycling bin but that was taken away due to budget cuts. If you can't take items into school grounds you need to go to the recycling plant which is in the middle of nowhere, there's no bus route, no pavement.

I am boosting this thread instead of making a new one as there is a few on the subject but I still can't find answers! (Asking for the UK) It has been mentioned that buzzy toys can be recycled via Lovehoney or recycle centres etc so that is good but...

Are toys made from jelly, TPE, silicone etc just destined for the normal waste?! Also metal e.g Princess plugs?

What about glass? I saw some people say the usual glass recycling but some people say no, does anyone know?

This may sound odd but what about things such as lubes, orgasm gels, massage oils etc, do they all just go in to the bin too?

Restraints such as handcuffs, silk ties? What happens to this stuff?!

It just seems that an awful lot is going to be sat there for a hell of a long time and damaging the environment and I don't really want to do that (maybe why I hoard!) but I also don't want to keep a load of stuff that I am never going to use but can't even gift (If I have stuff which has never been used then I may ask around first). It may be because I am an over thinker but I can't really contemplate doing it to the environment but I also can't keep stuff forever, does anyone have the answers? Responses are greatly appreciated :)

KinkyMinxMoo wrote:

I am boosting this thread instead of making a new one as there is a few on the subject but I still can't find answers! (Asking for the UK) It has been mentioned that buzzy toys can be recycled via Lovehoney or recycle centres etc so that is good but...

Are toys made from jelly, TPE, silicone etc just destined for the normal waste?! Also metal e.g Princess plugs?

What about glass? I saw some people say the usual glass recycling but some people say no, does anyone know?

This may sound odd but what about things such as lubes, orgasm gels, massage oils etc, do they all just go in to the bin too?

Restraints such as handcuffs, silk ties? What happens to this stuff?!

It just seems that an awful lot is going to be sat there for a hell of a long time and damaging the environment and I don't really want to do that (maybe why I hoard!) but I also don't want to keep a load of stuff that I am never going to use but can't even gift (If I have stuff which has never been used then I may ask around first). It may be because I am an over thinker but I can't really contemplate doing it to the environment but I also can't keep stuff forever, does anyone have the answers? Responses are greatly appreciated :)

Hey KinkyMinxMoo

I will try to cover some of the different non-WEEE recyclable items with where they can go - but sadly, right now, a lot of the non-moving jelly type dildos do end up in landfill :( 

Vibrators - ANYTHING with a motor can be sent to WEEE / us

Non-moving toys made of rubber / jelly / TPE  - landfill :( 

Silicone - is recyclable but not in all locations

Plastic - most plastic can be recycled with your usual plastics (as long as it's not black)

Black plastic - landfill :(

Fabric (lingerie, silky restraints) - fabric recycling

Glass - glass toys are made from borosilicate glass which is non-recyclable so, unfortunately, landfill :(

Metal - can be recycled but may not be collected. You may need to take this to your local depot yourself

Liquids - hopefully you use the liquid inside and can then recycle the bottle it came in - just remove labels before you do if you're worried about privacy 

Does that help a bit? 

I know in the UK recycling is taking off now (finally!) but when I was a kid in Canada I always remember the motto being the 3 R's "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" 

So Reduce what you buy first. 

Reuse / reinvent what you can before you throw it. 

Recycle what you can't reuse. 

Thank you for responding, I had hoped that you would (or another staff member) as with your work place, you may know better than most.

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde wrote:

sadly, right now, a lot of the non-moving jelly type dildos do end up in landfill :(

That is what I was afraid of :( Fortunately some questions were curiosity or for future reference, none of my glass is going to landfill!

It certainly has helped while raising a few more questions.

I wasn't aware of fabric recycling; Any idea if worn and torn fabrics can also be recycled or is it just the good stuff? I am aware of clothes banks but that is the only form of fabric recyling that I am aware of and they are quite strict on what you can put in and the condition.

Liquids - if you haven't used the liquid, what do you do with it?

Also noticed some product material is PVC or rubber, is that like TPE / jelly? If not, can it be recycled?

I grew up in the UK and was brought up with the three R's, recycled all my life :) reused where I can and as above, I hold on to some things to prevent them going to lanfill but there comes a time :/ The reduce is something that I do consider but in this particular situation, I am looking to be rid of a few things that I purchased at the very start when I wasn't aware of materials, recyling or preferences etc. I made it sound like a lot, there isn't really but I don't feel much better about the fact. Some questions were just for future reference and who knows, there may be more recycling available by then and on the plus side, I now know so I will be reducing in the future :)

I also think [a competitor] recycle unused sex toys not sure if they take electrical buy I know they do it as I've seen the bins in their shops advertising that its for unwanted toys to be recycled

KinkyMinxMoo wrote:

Thank you for responding, I had hoped that you would (or another staff member) as with your work place, you may know better than most.

sadly, right now, a lot of the non-moving jelly type dildos do end up in landfill :(

I wasn't aware of fabric recycling; Any idea if worn and torn fabrics can also be recycled or is it just the good stuff? I am aware of clothes banks but that is the only form of fabric recyling that I am aware of and they are quite strict on what you can put in and the condition.

I was under the impression that anything clothes banks received (and some charity shops) that they couldn't use was sold as scrap to other companies that then gets recycled, broken down into it's fibres for things like padding for chairs in cars, seat cushions and mattress filler. I think putting anything fabric in a clothes bank is more responsible than just throwing it in the bin. At least it's heading in the right direction!

Lovehoney - Rebecca wrote:

KinkyMinxMoo wrote:

I was under the impression that anything clothes banks received (and some charity shops) that they couldn't use was sold as scrap to other companies that then gets recycled, broken down into it's fibres for things like padding for chairs in cars, seat cushions and mattress filler. I think putting anything fabric in a clothes bank is more responsible than just throwing it in the bin. At least it's heading in the right direction!

You're quite right Rebecca - I used to work in a charity shop (in the UK) and any clothes/fabrics we couldn't sell in the shop were bagged up for the 'Rag' Man to collect - we got paid for the bags so it was still beneficial to the charity. If you've got any damaged/worn out fabric items you can put them in a bag labelled "Rags" and either take them to a charity shop or put them in a collection bank. You can also do the same for any leather items.

Genuiely conflicted about this...

I have a few toys to dispose of but trying to weigh up the best course of action.

I could just pop them in the bin, but i'm really trying to reduce what I send to the landfill. I could send them to LH - I think - but then have the cost and potential embarassment.

Does anyone know if they can go in the local large orange electricals recycling bins?