Disposal of old toys

KinkyMinxMoo wrote:

I am boosting this thread instead of making a new one as there is a few on the subject but I still can't find answers! (Asking for the UK) It has been mentioned that buzzy toys can be recycled via Lovehoney or recycle centres etc so that is good but...

Are toys made from jelly, TPE, silicone etc just destined for the normal waste?! Also metal e.g Princess plugs?

What about glass? I saw some people say the usual glass recycling but some people say no, does anyone know?

This may sound odd but what about things such as lubes, orgasm gels, massage oils etc, do they all just go in to the bin too?

Restraints such as handcuffs, silk ties? What happens to this stuff?!

It just seems that an awful lot is going to be sat there for a hell of a long time and damaging the environment and I don't really want to do that (maybe why I hoard!) but I also don't want to keep a load of stuff that I am never going to use but can't even gift (If I have stuff which has never been used then I may ask around first). It may be because I am an over thinker but I can't really contemplate doing it to the environment but I also can't keep stuff forever, does anyone have the answers? Responses are greatly appreciated :)

Hey KinkyMinxMoo

I will try to cover some of the different non-WEEE recyclable items with where they can go - but sadly, right now, a lot of the non-moving jelly type dildos do end up in landfill :( 

Vibrators - ANYTHING with a motor can be sent to WEEE / us

Non-moving toys made of rubber / jelly / TPE  - landfill :( 

Silicone - is recyclable but not in all locations

Plastic - most plastic can be recycled with your usual plastics (as long as it's not black)

Black plastic - landfill :(

Fabric (lingerie, silky restraints) - fabric recycling

Glass - glass toys are made from borosilicate glass which is non-recyclable so, unfortunately, landfill :(

Metal - can be recycled but may not be collected. You may need to take this to your local depot yourself

Liquids - hopefully you use the liquid inside and can then recycle the bottle it came in - just remove labels before you do if you're worried about privacy 

Does that help a bit? 

I know in the UK recycling is taking off now (finally!) but when I was a kid in Canada I always remember the motto being the 3 R's "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" 

So Reduce what you buy first. 

Reuse / reinvent what you can before you throw it. 

Recycle what you can't reuse.