endometriosis/periods

As most of you may be aware from my previous posts, I had a hospital appointment yesterday to rule out interstitial cystitis and endometriosis. the IS was fine and I didn't appear to have any bladder problems, so much so that they didn't need to take a sample for biopsy. But however, during my laparascopy procedure, they found a patch of endometriosis on my right side.

I was given norethisterone tablets of which my consultant said were for my so called irregular periods I've been experiencing these the last 2-3 months since coming off the pill in january when my periods were normal up until may/june, then became irregular. upon reading the leaflet for the tablets, I was told to take 3x a day for 3 months by my gynae consultant, but the leaflet says different for period problems e.g. heavy or irregular ect, but 3x a day for 6 months for treatment of endometriosis. My confusion is because my consultant told me she had prescribed them for my periods, but the extent to which she told me to take them, refers to the treatment of endometriosis in the tablets leaflet.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has used these and what your experiences were? I was told to take them for the 3 months to help regulate everything and my consultant said she removed the endo via diathermy.

ronnie-baby.

xx

i take norethisterone when im going on holiday to stop periods

Well, the stopping of hormonal changes by taking the medicine can help to reduce the endometriosis, as it is sensitive to hormonal changes during menstruation. Thats why pregnancy can help, as woman stops with her hormonal circle. it should reduce the size of endometriosis or may it disappear. But not sure if 3 months are long enough, 6 sound more like it. Altough if she did some removal... Not sure. Can you ask another doctor?

well she said the tablets were for the regulating of my periods as I also had the mirena coil put in also, but the leaflet says that this time frame suggests its for endo, which I now assume has gone now it has been removed. She said only 3 months and thats it?

xx

Endometriosis isn't currently curable (though it is often treatable) so that will be why she's continued treatment despite removing what was there.

I don't have any experience of norethisterone but I wouldn't be surprised if it's to treat the endo until you're settled on the coil? I'm not sure though. Any worries you could alway try giving your doctor a ring and asking a few questions :)

Adx

thanks alicia, I understand what you are saying and it what I was thinking myself, but why would she tell me it's for my periods? It just doesn't make sense. I doubt my gp will know what's going on just yet as I only had ops yesterday.

xx

Well, I heard that stopping the period can reduce the endo size, it can appaer again, of course. Heard pregnancy does help in some cases as it prevents the hormonal changes which support its growth.

Also wondering, when did you have the coil inserted? Did it start before or after the periods became irregular? I think the reason why she may be after regulating the period is I have very irregular one and sometimes the hormonal dose does go up a lot, which leads to site effects on my body - bad skin, more abdonment pain etc. And maybe she is worried, but you should ask her, or someone.

ronnie-baby wrote:

thanks alicia, I understand what you are saying and it what I was thinking myself, but why would she tell me it's for my periods? It just doesn't make sense. I doubt my gp will know what's going on just yet as I only had ops yesterday.

xx

Maybe she's given a different dose to settle your periods more quickly - I really don't know, could you ring her and ask?

It's annoying when doctors don't explain things properly isn't it!

Adx

Edit to say as Laveila mentioned she may have said it was to help periods but in fact helping periods will also treat the endo (I take the pill back to back without breaks to treat the endo by stopping my periods).

i stopped the pill in jan, my periods became irregular in may/june and I had copper coil inserted in june, but after my periods had become irregular. they weren't too bad, just a few days-a week late once in a while, but beforehand and after stopping my pill in jan, they were completely normal and on time.

xx

i couldnt take the pill back to back, it would give me bleeding and spotting for about 3 weeks non stop.

xx