T.O.M question (mirena coil)

Sorry bit of a personal question,

I was just wondering if any of you ladies have any experience with the mirena coil?

I have had mine over 2 years and it stops that time of the month, anyway all of a sudden mine have started again, Has anyone with this type of IUS had this before?

Does this mean that it is now not working effectively as a contraceptive. Not sure if I should be concerned or is it normal for periods to return unexpectedly? Or could something else be causing the bleeding as this is meant to last 5 years.

Hope asking here is ok, Obviously with it being the weekend I can't get to the doctors and to be fair often can be a week or so to get an appointment.

Hey reany! I've never had any bleeding during my 6 years with the coil. My sister has though, its not often but she spots every few months.

Do you still check your strings? By rights you are supposed to check the strings are still there, its not something I like to do as I have massively long nails so my husband checks for me.

Definitely check with your GP or sexual health clinic if you can't feel the strings as they can fall out. That's the reason I'm in the world, my mothers coil became dislodged and she didn't notice until crowning 😂

I did have the Mirena and as far as I can remember I dont think I ever had a period with it so would also suggest you use a back up until you can get to the GP, for peace of mind if nothing else.

I didn't get on with my second coil at all so had it removed and had implant instead - have never lookef back.

Hope you get your answers xxx

ok thanks,, will have a read there. X

Thanks LNT, I did think it was odd for it to start suddenly. I always think the worst though.

Does the implant stop periods also as may just try something else.

Will definitely get some back up in the meantime then, just a bit of extra reassurance.

X

The implant has stopped mine although I can have a bit of one occassionaly, but then I am peri menopausal so I dont know if that can have an effect.

Talk to your GP and see what they say - we are all different after all xx

Let us know how you get on xxx

I will do,
Hopefully it's just a bit of worry over nothing.
Thanks
Xxx

Hi rosycheek, I didn't even think to check the strings, I must admit that is something I'm useless at doing. well, checked now and can't seem to be able to feel them, so looks like it may have come out after all. Can't believe I didn't think to feel for the strings, lol

Thank you xx

Hi reany , I always had a regular monthly bleed with my mirena coils although it was very light bleeding and when mine got heavy again my GP told me it was probably a combo of my age and the coil was also coming up for renewal .
If you've suddenly started to get periods again it's possible that maybe the coil has come out . I don't want to alarm you here but it can happen without you even knowing it . As has already been suggested you'd be wise to use extra precautions and try to get a GP appointment as soon as you can just to get it checked and be on the safe side x

More than welcome my love. Use condoms until you get a chance to see the Dr. They'll probably do a wee ultrasound just to check it hasn't wandered off somewhere. It's very unlikely so don't worry too much about it. They'll put another one straight back in if that's the contraceptive you prefer.

Hiya! I've not used the coil either, but I totally agree with lmh95 and LNT about seeing your doctor - either your GP or at the sexual health clinic. There could be various different causes, always good to go even if just to reassure yourself :)

In the meantime, if you're concerned, NHS Choices or patient.info are good online sources for medical information - they are run by reliable sources and healthcare professionals recommend them to patients, so no risk of odd unproven info. Here are the links to stuff about the coil: http://patient.info/health/intrauterine-system and http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception-guide/pages/iud-coil.aspx

Thanks wildflower, I'm thinking it may have possibly come out. They're so small would be hard to know if I has. I guess it was just a bit of a shock to start bleeding after not for so long.
it's been pretty perfect until now, thankfully it's only a light period, well it is in comparison to what I used to get.
Xx

Thanks for those links captainmeow, will have a look at those sites.

Will definitely try to see my gp, if not sexual health clinic have a walk in mid-week.

Xx

Feel a bit less freaked out now about it, so thanks everyone, much appreciated 💕xx

I have had a mirena and on occasion habe had periods or more bleeding than normal I would say 2 times over 6 years. My doctor said it was normal it did freak me out first time because I spot maybe 2 days at most each month.

The coil is not that small.....mine came out and I certainly knew about it ! The worry would be that it's gone the other way so see your GP as soon as possible.
I absolutely hated the mirena coil and am so happy without it.

Hi!

I had a merina and didn't bleed for years then all of a sudden I did again. Apparently this can happen as they start to wear out. You may be coming up for a replacement. The effectiveness in stopping periods reduces with the life of the merina

i had the mirena coil a few years back but had quite a few issues with it, it never stopped my period and i ended up with a lump in my breast due to hormones!

i am much happier without it!

I've had the Mirena for 14 months, I bled for 8 months, since then, I'll get 3-4 weeks period free, then bleed for 2 weeks.

I only put up with it as before I was put onit, I bled so heavily and rarely had a break, so this option is a little better as my periods are lighter and relatively pain free.

Have an appointment today so hopefully will find out what's going on with it.
Xx