Exercise to loose belly

After having my baby I have been left with a bit of a mum tum and it's starting to get me down.

What home exercises can help loose it?

I do a lot of walking throughout the week but need something proven to work to start at home

This post is no longer available.

I understand gene plays a part in our body too.

For the decade I take 6 small meals a day. On alternate days I spent an hours on a treadmill followed with another hour on weighs concentrating on my lower body. The result so far is "I am a fit person" however there's no change in my +size. Late mom and a elder sister are +size too.

I was an hour glass between 20 and before marrying hub.

Scoob wrote:

As a personal trainer I get this alot...

All I can say unfortunately is that there is no exercises for "getting rid" of this, it's body fat and skin that has now stretched. Loosing weight will help but fat loss can't be targeted to one area.

There are of course exercises to tighten up your abdominals and core which are hidden underneath what you have described...if you Google or youtube "bear crawls" And the "plank" these are really good along with various forms of crunches etc. Let me know if you have any more questions or queries.

In short, less calories, more cardio and core exercises 😊

Thank you! I will have a YouTube of those 😊 I am aware of plank but never heard of bear crawls lol I am determined to do something to try shift a bit of it 😁

4Uonly wrote:

I understand gene plays a part in our body too.

For the decade I take 6 small meals a day. On alternate days I spent an hours on a treadmill followed with another hour on weighs concentrating on my lower body. The result so far is "I am a fit person" however there's no change in my +size. Late mom and a elder sister are +size too.

I was an hour glass between 20 and before marrying hub.

Thank you! I have gone up 1-2 sizes since having a baby but depends where I shop. I gained most of it after stopping breastfeeding and it's just stuck there on me. I cover some miles walking but definitely need to add something else into the mix. I seem to of lost my bum now though so started squats again lol. I do have a treadmill at my parents but that's too far away (as in hours from here) so I can't use that and we have no room here for one :(

Weight you can loose pretty easily using the basic standard of eat less, move more. The extra skin could be be a problem though since it is overstretched and damaged muscle and skin tissue. Abdominal exercises will help but partly you will just have to learn to live with it. Surgery is an option if it really bothers you.

I know its not home exercises but if you are able to get to a swimming pool you will find its the best exercise you can have if you can do it regularly. I know its easy to say and with a new babe takes your time up, but once suitable you can take your child also. Hope you get on OK.

Sadly you can’t pinpoint parts of the body to shape and tone up its more doing a full body work out. But as stated above it’s a case of a core exercises and a healthy diet, loose skin stretches but also retracts after time but it’s a slow process, the more core/cardio exercises you do and the more strengthening the muscles get the less likely it is to be noticeable.

It’s a very common issue amongst new mums and I understand it’s difficult especially when you do want to bounce straight back, try and not focus too much on the “mum tum” ideology and just enjoy a more balanced and healthy lifestyle, try some gentle exercises too, like
Yoga as these are very heavy on the core and strengthening.

As a side note, congratulations on the baby and I hope your enjoying having a little one around.

My Oh has a mum tum as well after having our 2 kids and she has also Hates it tries anything possible to tone it but personally I love my oh looking like this. I'm sure major of oh/husband's feel the same but I can understand why mums hate it. X

As above, my partner has a mum tum after two of our babies and I love it! Always kissing her across the lower tummy, a few of my mates also say how they love how it looks on their partners. It affects her quite a bit but she has a few dvds with HIT workouts on them and they seem to help with her feeling more confident

Mr&Mrs Adventurous wrote:

My Oh has a mum tum as well after having our 2 kids and she has also Hates it tries anything possible to tone it but personally I love my oh looking like this. I'm sure major of oh/husband's feel the same but I can understand why mums hate it. X

Many fathers say they like it because it is a sign of their children etc.

I don't have any advice on losing belly I'm afraid but you may find bio oil helpful for helping the stretched skin to heal :)

@lovelylumps, you may want to take a look at this link.
https://www.realself.com/question/tummy-tuck-sagging-tummy-loose-skin-post-pregnancy

I've had two children and the one thing I found that really helped to tighten up my stomach was T25, its a 25 minute workout a day, it's not cheap to buy but if you look up Shaun T on YouTube he does loads of quick 5 minute videos to get an idea of what AB excersises to do.

I do HIIT classes and they seem to be giving me fast results and has toned my tum. I lost 6 cms off my centre within 5 weeks doing HIIT training.

This is what I do on a weekend: 

ophelia-rose wrote:

I don't have any advice on losing belly I'm afraid but you may find bio oil helpful for helping the stretched skin to heal :)

Thank you, I keep meaning to buy some as my stretch marks seem to be becoming more noticeable. They don't really bother me but the colour is drastically changing

Lovehoney - Leanne wrote:

I do HIIT classes and they seem to be giving me fast results and has toned my tum. I lost 6 cms off my centre within 5 weeks doing HIIT training.

This is what I do on a weekend:

This is great! I will have a go 😀

You're welcome, hope you find something that works for you :)

YMMV with the bio-oil. I have stretch marks for being a chubby teen and it didn't do anything to help, didn't do anything for OH's scars either. It's not expensive though and a small bottle goes a long way so no harm in trying.

I’m 48 and have been doing T25 for the past year and a half. Best exercise ever.

...but the key to getting fit is good food. Eat healthy and you are half way there!