Losing weight?

Hey guys and gals. There is more than likely a thread already about this, but I am on my phone and it isn't showing anything.

I would just like to know what the easiest and best way to lose weight and tone up for the long run, instead of just for a short period of time, from what you have experianced yourself?

I'm 19, 5"7 and i weigh quite a lot for my age and height, I am size 16 top and 14 bottom.

I had a baby at 16 and my stomach still hasn't snapped back into shape. Any help?

Thankyouuuu!

-Drury <3

The first way is to check your diet.

If shopping at supermarkets avoid any food or ready meals that are showing red in any of the 2 fat columns. Pick those that are green and perthaps an occasional orange . Most supermarkets have adopted the traffic light system for contents .

Perhaps joining a Weight Watchers/Slimming World club as many are organised locally and they will give you the support and encouiragerment that you may need.

To tone yourself then oviously check your local gyms. Many will have all ladies groups as well if you feel mixed classes arn't for you. Don't be put off by having to think you have to wear a skimpy leotard either . Most will recommend a lose fitting T shirt type top and perhaps jogging type trousers as well .

The main advice though is not to give up part way through the programme as weight can easily return this way.

Good Luck

Yeah, none of that is news to me, with my mental health i tend to go off the rails a bit and start comfort eating etc. It's a hard life haha! But i definately will take all them things into consideration. thank you x

Five years ago mu OH gave me a puppy for birthday gift, an Irish setter. I started walking him regularly every morning and afternoon, two hours in the morning and one hour in the afternoon. And, believe it or not, I lost 15 kilos in two months! Just by walking, no changes of diet. And of course you don't need a pet, just do regularly walks.

My wife is using weights on her ankles and wrists when walking, also very efficient.

Slow weight loss last longer than fad diets..... if I need to shift half a stone for holiday or after xmas... baileys is a killer !

No bread
I just eat half weetabix breakfast
Youghart and a piece of fruit lunch
And cOok normally for family but my portion is halved on a t plate instead of dinner plate.... if I plateau and nothing else shifts I then do gym or swimming just to boost mmetabolism. .... cause I still have variety its simple and effective and can b done for longer cause your still getting what u need just less of it

But thats what I do to shift a little... good luck xx

Stomach crunches and swimming for stomach x

mysteron wrote:

The first way is to check your diet.

If shopping at supermarkets avoid any food or ready meals that are showing red in any of the 2 fat columns. Pick those that are green and perthaps an occasional orange . Most supermarkets have adopted the traffic light system for contents .

Perhaps joining a Weight Watchers/Slimming World club as many are organised locally and they will give you the support and encouiragerment that you may need.

To tone yourself then oviously check your local gyms. Many will have all ladies groups as well if you feel mixed classes arn't for you. Don't be put off by having to think you have to wear a skimpy leotard either . Most will recommend a lose fitting T shirt type top and perhaps jogging type trousers as well .

The main advice though is not to give up part way through the programme as weight can easily return this way.

Good Luck

This is very good advice. The main thing is to do it slowly as you have more chance of keeping the weight off for longer. For me I found that exercise was the key to shedding weight, plus it tones you up . It took me nearly 2 years to lose 4 stone and I have kept most of it off apart from the half stone I put on over xmas when I got a bit lazy and let myself go !

If you can't face an exercise class or money is tight there are plenty of exercise programmes on YouTube that you can do at home ,thats what I do. Also plain old walking is a brilliant everyday exercise and its free! I try to do at least 1 hour walking a day plus aerobic style exercise and belly dancing ( belly dancing is a pretty vigorous exercise and you will certainly work up a sweat ) .

I know just how difficult it is to lose weight and I still have another stone to go but youv'e got youth on your side, it's harder to lose weight as you get older ( my age ! ) Keep eating healthily and try to keep your portion size down but don't deny yourself a small treat now and then. I have found in the past if I was too strict then it all went pearshaped eventually and I just went on a binge. Once you start to lose a bit and you can see your body changing shape then it gives you a further incentive to carry on.

Hope this has helped, good luck x

Thank you all so much, i do think I am gonna start exercising much more, I will take my daughter on long walks- instead of taking her to the park and jut watching her play. I'm also going to start cutting my portions in half, so I can still eat all the things I love, just less of! And drink a lot more water and more green and black tea :) I want to lose around 3 stone. I'd love to be about a size 10-12 and weigh around 10 stone :D

Get an an app called myfitnesspal which you can easily track what you eat/ exercise. It can scan barcodes to give calories in them which really makes it easier than weight watchers.
Also get an app called mapmywalk which can record( and sync to the other app) your exercises and calc the calories burnt.you can do swimming/ hiking/ biking/ running/ jogging..and it does a really good calc on how well you are burning calories based on your personal stats.
Religiously enter details in mfp and set yourself a goal of 1-2 lbs per week, and set target activity level..and it will calc what level of calories you need to eat per day to achieve it.
Hiking and swimming are without doubt the best way to loose weight...and tone up( I can vouch for that!)
If you have a toddler, get someone to sit for you while you go to the gym,swim ...get a bike with a kiddie saddle... For walking...you could power- buggy( which is actually quite a good resistance training)
Join a hiking club and get out in the countryside..and if you are lucky to have a good hill around you...hike it as often as you can.
Basically do some element of calorie counting g AND exercise and record them all the time..and do t forget to accuri record your weight/ Inches stats and enjoy the results.
BTW...Pilate's is a great way to improve your tum muscles as is swiming( do a lap work challenge like 0to a mile in6 weeks...it is doable from novice to expert)

It requires a bit of effort, but seeing the number of calories you burn per excerise, and seeing your intake being lower on purpose, will have the desired result.
Go and get yourself fit!!
Xx

naughty mum wrote:

Get an an app called myfitnesspal which you can easily track what you eat/ exercise. It can scan barcodes to give calories in them which really makes it easier than weight watchers.
Also get an app called mapmywalk which can record( and sync to the other app) your exercises and calc the calories burnt.you can do swimming/ hiking/ biking/ running/ jogging..and it does a really good calc on how well you are burning calories based on your personal stats.
Religiously enter details in mfp and set yourself a goal of 1-2 lbs per week, and set target activity level..and it will calc what level of calories you need to eat per day to achieve it.
Hiking and swimming are without doubt the best way to loose weight...and tone up( I can vouch for that!)
If you have a toddler, get someone to sit for you while you go to the gym,swim ...get a bike with a kiddie saddle... For walking...you could power- buggy( which is actually quite a good resistance training)
Join a hiking club and get out in the countryside..and if you are lucky to have a good hill around you...hike it as often as you can.
Basically do some element of calorie counting g AND exercise and record them all the time..and do t forget to accuri record your weight/ Inches stats and enjoy the results.
BTW...Pilate's is a great way to improve your tum muscles as is swiming( do a lap work challenge like 0to a mile in6 weeks...it is doable from novice to expert)

It requires a bit of effort, but seeing the number of calories you burn per excerise, and seeing your intake being lower on purpose, will have the desired result.
Go and get yourself fit!!
Xx

That is infact the greatest advice i have ever received! i am downloading the apps now and i think it will help out a lot! Thank you so much!!

NP.... I am officially 2 stone lighter than I was this time last year...and I only put on 6 lbs over the winter, ad I didn't keep up the records, and did have a chunk of time without going to the gym/ pool as I had car issues.
I have regained that ground and working on the next 2 stone this year...and as I have a charity hike to train for, I am working with a serious goal.
( BTW..taking sexy photos of yourself in naughty outfits is also a great confidence booster too! )

The apps are definitely fab, I have the my fitness pal and love it.......something else that is good for toning and weight loss is to increase protein intake and reduce carbs a little as protein takes more effort to digest so your body burns more calories digesting it. High intensity training (similar to the insanity programme) is good too, you don't really need any equiptment so can do it at home and you work at your own pace....youtube has videos and don't be afraid to hit the weights as you won't over bulk as women don't have testosterone needed for that to happen

Good luck ....i'm trying to lose weight too so know how difficult it can be x

Im super glad that im not alone in this!
I don't even want to lose the weight for others. It is purely for myself. As I don't even likelooking at myself naked and I can't wear the clothes I wish I could. Its a damn shame I got so bloody big when I was pregnant because my somach is ruined! I've got the jelly wobbly bit at the bottom of my stomach and im covered im stretch marks. x

You need to find a diet & exercise regime that suits you. There's no point following a diet that contains food you don't like, and sometimes it comes down to acquired tastes, try something about 6/7 times before deciding that you definitely don't like it. Drink plenty of water and less caffeine, green tea is a good alternative or a hot lemon (or similar). With exercise find something you really enjoy, don't join a gym without properly trying it out first and ideally don't sign in to a contract, you'd hate to find a month into it that you don't enjoy it. If you go for walks, change your scenery so you don't get bored. And after a while introduce some weights and toning exercises. If you go with something you don't enjoy, you won't stick to it.

I had my first babies at age 20 and for about 3years I used their birth as my excuse for my dramatic weight gain, yes it contributed but it was my fault I didn't manage it. For a year then I tried different gyms and various fad diets and nothing worked. I then started to walk/run with my dog early morning, which is great as it gets you ready for the day, and a lot of weight based training, about a year ago I was introduced to the paleo / caveman diet. I love my new way of life.

I wish my cats would let me walk them, but somehow I don't see that happening, if i had a dog i'd be able to take it on huge walks with my daughter! I'm going to buy a dog now :P

Haha, cats on a leash....Yeah I don't think they'd like that.

mine attack me anyway, I don't want to add to their hatred :') xxx

I certainly sympathise with you over the stretchmarks ,I had three massive babies so I got quite big when pregnant and I now also have a long vertical hyst scar to add to it all .
Stretchmarks will fade a bit over the years , make sure you keep your tummy well moisturised as you lose weight. I use coconut oil mixed with a bit of vitamin e oil.
I think massaging this in as your tummy gets smaller can help to firm the skin a little bit but sadly I don't think theres anything that will eradicate stretchmarks completely , if there was I'd had have bought it by the barrel !

drurysl02 wrote:

I don't even want to lose the weight for others. It is purely for myself. As I don't even likelooking at myself naked and I can't wear the clothes I wish I could. Its a damn shame I got so bloody big when I was pregnant because my somach is ruined! I've got the jelly wobbly bit at the bottom of my stomach and im covered im stretch marks. x

Hun those stretch marks are the battle scars of a warrior! A mum warrior! They are your tiger stripes to wear with pride,as you have earnt them with hard physical endurace, stamina, pain, blood, sweat and tears!!😊 We all hate them...but learning to love them is harder.... I don't like my tum...it is still very much wip....but...I am seeing the results, and those stretch marks are taking a different light now.I use nip and fab tummy gel to firm it up...the exercises address the internal support muscles that pull it all back in..and you look inches thinner just by doing so. I am working more tummy excerises in as I see the positive results. And the crux of this is...I still managed to land myself a keeper... Even with a few Pounds and inches to shift to be ideal in my mind...so other people can love our wobbly bits just as they are too.😊

naughty mum wrote:

drurysl02 wrote:

Hun those stretch marks are the battle scars of a warrior! A mum warrior! They are your tiger stripes to wear with pride,as you have earnt them with hard physical endurace, stamina, pain, blood, sweat and tears!!😊 We all hate them...but learning to love them is harder.... I don't like my tum...it is still very much wip....but...I am seeing the results, and those stretch marks are taking a different light now.I use nip and fab tummy gel to firm it up...the exercises address the internal support muscles that pull it all back in..and you look inches thinner just by doing so. I am working more tummy excerises in as I see the positive results. And the crux of this is...I still managed to land myself a keeper... Even with a few Pounds and inches to shift to be ideal in my mind...so other people can love our wobbly bits just as they are too.😊

This honestly really gives me hope. hopefully one day i will have toned up and all that will be left is a healthy weight and my battle scars! <3

One of my instructors also told me that we should try to maintain good posture always, and keeps telling me to hold my tummy in, the way she phrases it she says imagine your belly button is being pulled towards your spine. I genuinely have no idea what this does, must be something about the core muscles.