First Time Clubbing

Ok, call me crazy, but I have never been clubbing before and a few close workmates have invited me out clubbing this weekend and I am very anxious. They are all a year or so younger than me (I am twenty) but I know them well and have a laugh with them at work all the time.

I suppose my questions are dead silly but I am a complete clubbing novice so bear with me.

What are you expected to wear? I've asked the other girls and they are all wearing dresses or skirts - would I get away with wearing jeans and a nice top with heels or will this not be accepted to get into clubs? If so I was thinking of wearing my Coquette Wet Look Stretch Lace Side Leggings - will those be ok?

Also, what is the general accepted mannerisms in clubs? I've been told men will try and pinch your bum or "accidently" brush against your boobs - is this socially acceptable? I would feel very uncomfortable if this happened to me and would have to refrain from slapping people!

If you have any tips about drinking, or taxis, or clubbing in general, please help! We're going out Saturday night so I need tips by then! Thanks if you've read this far, it means a lot! :-)

Different clubs will have different dress codes, but they tend to want more girls, because girls attract boys to the club, so it's almost unheard of for a girl to be refused entry.

Any clubs I've been to it would not be acceptable for any groping to go on.

There are normally lines of taxis outside for when you leave so this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm speaking as someone who's the wrong side of 40, but I have been clubbing occasionally in the last few years and used to go a lot when I was younger.

If you don't enjoy it then leave. There are great clubs, but there are also terrible ones.

wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

"I've been told men will try and pinch your bum or "accidently" brush against your boobs" if this annoys you tell them where to go and not politely.

if its just a girls night out and your not trying to pull to stay close to your friends, watch your drinks and have fun.

Don't be silly, no question is too silly! :D

I think skinny jeans and heels and a nice top would be fine. The leggings are gorgeous but I think you'd struggle to find a top that would match and look nice with them. Make sure you're comfortable though, you don't want to be pulling something down or pushing it up throughout the whole night.

Who told you men would try to pinch your bum or touch your boobs?! I wonder what sort of clubs they go to! I've been going clubbing for 3 years now and no guy has ever done that to me. Some guy accidentally touched my bum once and apologised for it like 3 times haha! Be careful about guys offering to buy you drinks. I don't meant to scare you off but most people generally don't offer unless they want something in return.

As for the rest - make sure you can trust the people you're going out with. Plan what sort of time you'd all want to leave before you go out, decide whether you're going straight home or getting food on the way, whether you're sharing a taxi, etc. You'll want to sort that out before you're drunk just to be on the safe side. I'd suggest pre-drinking as most clubs tend to be way over-priced on Saturdays and if there's such a thing ask if any of the girls have thought of putting your names down on a gueslist for discounted entry.

Like ST said, if you don't like it just leave. I've ended up walking home alone at 1am once because I was having a terrible time and all my friends decided to start making out with random guys all over the place! But make sure you know where all your friends are and don't leave anyone behind. Also, make sure you keep your taxi or general getting home money separate so you don't spend it on drinks and have no way of getting home.

I think that's basically it. Just have a good time!

Wear whatever you're comfortable in! You will get away with jeans, nice top and heels although you may be a little warm once you're inside! Your leggings will probably look good but as I don't know what they look like I can't advise on them (sorry).

If guys are being like that with you, you're well within your rights to tell them to fuck off. I'm not happy when people try it with me (although it doesn't happen that often?)

Always carry your drink with you wherever you go and keep an eye on it. Taxis, you may struggle after a certain time but they are normally in abundance so you should be okay.

Above all else, just relax and enjoy yourself.

If you're not happy for any reason, you're free to leave, remember that.

I really hope you have a great night HappilyExperimenting!

Clare xx

Hi HE, I can't offer anything but just wanted to say I am 27 and i have never been clubbing and I would have the same questions its not crazy or silly.

I hope you have a lovely evening and enjoy yourself

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate the feedback! I'll be leaving quite early compared to most people (probably about 2am) but I'm not planning on drinking myself silly either. I'm going with my friends and sister and we've decided she'll be coming home with me as she lives in the same house (she moved back in a few weeks ago) as she has work in the morning. I feel sorry for her but she doesn't want to miss out!

I think I'll buy a new pair of jeans and wear that with a nice top and heels - the top is nice and slinky and I can also test out my waspie corset underneath to see if it goes all night without irritating me! :) My friends have also suggested taking a pair of "flat" shoes for wearing on the way home so I might fold up a pair of little dolly shoes into my bag.

The guys issue has been thought to death by me, one of my friends said she gets her bum constantly pinched and the lads can't keep their hands to themselves. She was laughing and clearly enjoyed the attention but I know I won't! I'll have to pluck up all my courage and tell them where to get off if that happens, I just don't want to come across as the sad one of the group. If all else fails I can bluff that I'm a lesbian! (Of course, I do see myself as bi/pans, but my friends don't know that.) It will keep the boys at bay anyway lol!

Again, thanks for your tips!

SexyBumBully - I'll have to put a picture up of my leggings, they are really nice. I can't post a link from my mobile but they have lace up the sides and are on the high side of twenty quid. Coquette, I think :)

Does anyone have any disastrous or amazing clubbing stories? I understand yours PPD, I always used to end up playing gooseberry when I was in my teens! Xx

HappilyExperimenting wrote:

Ok, call me crazy, but I have never been clubbing before and a few close workmates have invited me out clubbing this weekend and I am very anxious. They are all a year or so younger than me (I am twenty) but I know them well and have a laugh with them at work all the time.

I suppose my questions are dead silly but I am a complete clubbing novice so bear with me.

What are you expected to wear? I've asked the other girls and they are all wearing dresses or skirts - would I get away with wearing jeans and a nice top with heels or will this not be accepted to get into clubs? If so I was thinking of wearing my Coquette Wet Look Stretch Lace Side Leggings - will those be ok?

Also, what is the general accepted mannerisms in clubs? I've been told men will try and pinch your bum or "accidently" brush against your boobs - is this socially acceptable? I would feel very uncomfortable if this happened to me and would have to refrain from slapping people!

If you have any tips about drinking, or taxis, or clubbing in general, please help! We're going out Saturday night so I need tips by then! Thanks if you've read this far, it means a lot! :-)

Aw hun bless you don't be nervous and it's not silly at all.

The dress code for clubs can vary from club to club, mainly the biggest no no's are trainers, a lot of them don't allow for people to wear trainers.

In regards to people pinching your bum it does happen, but not at all that often and when it's happened to me I haven't at all refrained from turning around and slapping them and asking them what on earth makes them think I'm public property and can be touched but I have a temper, I doubt it would happen, as it doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to, and well you never know what the person will do that you're slapping so maybe just try to walk off (Easier said than done, I know!)

Again as said before; be warey when accepting drinks from people you don't know; it's not a scare tactic as some guys will only be after one thing (Not all!) And well there are low life's who may add a little 'extra' inside the drink, do not leave your drink unattended and come back to it unless people you know are there and have been watching it as people may add a little something extra in to it! Keep your eye on your drink, and if you haven't it's far safer to spend an extra few quid on a new drink than the alternative! (I'll never forgot having my drink on the table in front of me and I had my head turned looking at my friends dancing, and this guy kept getting closer and closer to me on the long sofa thing, one of my friends came up to me and did a 'come on babe let's go' and I went to grab my drink off the table and he told me to leave it and buy another as he'd seen the guy put something in it when I wasn't paying attention to it) I don't know if you like bottle drinks, my friends and I will generally drink bottles when out as we pop our thumb into the spout whilst dancing and chatting ect to stop anything being popped in there without us noticing

I'm a little on the strange side, and even though I've never lost my bag/purse or had it stolen when I'm out I always worry it will happen so I leave a note tucked away somewhere for emergency cab fair, incase I want to leave or I do infact mislay my purse. That's usually enough money in note form to get to get home tucked away in my bra so that if anything happens I know I can always get home! And if you get wasted and go home, fall asleep and wake up the next day still clothed it's always a nice pick me up when money falls out of your bra lol!

Taxi ranks should be around, if you have a local taxi number you could store it in your phone, about 5mins before I was going out of the club I'd phone a taxi in the bathrooms and ask how long it'll be and tell the operator I'll be out front at whatever time, so I'd stand in the door way and lookout and go out when my cab was there, I always felt better coming out to a cab waiting for me instead of trying to flag one down, and I find these cabs to be far less expensive than the ones that can be found driving around.

And most of all! Have fun hun! Just keep safe and be vigilant about things around you and you'll have a great time. xx

HE, not silly questions at all, better to be safe and ask than be sorry!

Wear whatever you're comfortable in. I'd say jeans, a nice top and heals if you know you can wear them dancing all night (I no longer wear heels out clubbing as my feet hurt too much and I don't make it to the end of the night!)

Guys, or girls for that matter, don't have any right to touch you unless you want them to. If they touch your bum and you don't want them to, let them know (words before fists though! :P) As said above, people generally only buy drinks if they're after something, so bear this in mind. If you do let someone buy you a drink, go to the bar with them and collect it from the bar, don't let them bring it to you, just incase something gets slipped in.

Make sure you're all looking out for each other! The best nights I've had have been because everyone looks out for each other, no one gets left behind or left feeling awkward in the corner.

Pre-drinking is a good shout - it's so expensive out! Don't take your card, get the cash out before hand. That way you can't spend more than you intended. And if it's somewhere you'll need to pay to get home from, make sure your taxi money is to one side so it doesn't get spent :)

In most clubs, it's pretty easy going. If you want to stand on the spot and bob, you can, if you want to jump like you're trying to put a hole in the floor, that's cool too. Main thing is enjoy relax, and it suddenly becomes a lot easier to "blend in" if you're feeling out of place at all.

I'd also say mention to one of the girls you haven't been before, so if you really don't like it and want to leave, they know and won't get all worried if you suddenly announce you're leaving.

HAVE FUN :D

i remember being in your shoes not long ago. Its the company you're with that'll make or break a night out. you should be fine considering you get on with them.

Just remember to have fun and don't be too self concious. most people worry too much about how they look to the opposite sex in a club (i think so anyway)

Not at all silly :) I had the same thoughts when I first went clubbing. 'Will I be okay wearing this?' 'What kind of shoes do I wear?' etc... Just wear whatever you're comfortable in. Readjusting your clothes isn't exactly the most attractive thing, haha. I've been out plenty of times wearing jeans / leggings, a nice top, and more often ballet pumps rather than mid-hight heels (I hate being short but I'd rather my feet didn't feel like they were falling off!)

I've only had guys brush against me purposely a handful of times, but obviously it depends on the type of club you're going to. Of course, it's completely unacceptable though and if you feel like you're being harassed, just let one of the bouncers know and they should sort it out. Whenever this happens t me though I just ignore it and move away.

Always keep an eye on your drinks! I honestly cannot stress how important this is. I actually got my drink spiked at a house party whilst at uni and I knew everyone that was there as well. I ended up being unconscious for a few hours and waking up in hospital - not fun! So only get drinks yourself, or if someone is buying for you, go to the bar with them and keep an eye on the bottle or glass. Also, keep an eye on your bag or purse as well as you don't really want to be going home without it!

There should be loads of taxis outside the club when you decide to leave, but if not then put some taxi service numbers in your phone before you head out for the night just incase there isn't. Walking home when it's cold and raining isn't fun!

I've probably made clubbing sound quite terrifying! But it's honestly not :) Just remember to have fun and relax, but be sensible and keep your eyes alert at the same time. I felt a bit uneasy the first time I went clubbing as it was a completely new experience for me, but as the night progressed I felt a lot more relaxed, although that was probably a side effect of the alcohol :P. Just enjoy yourself hun, I'm sure you'll have a great time! :) x

Hey hun :)

I used to wear jeans and a nice top to clubs all the time when I first started going and wasn't confident in dressing up. Wear whatever you want to hun, as long as you don't wear a pair of trainers lol ;)

As for people pinching your bum etc if it makes you uncomfortable then you have every right to say so!

As said above it is very important to keep a very close eye on your drinks and make sure that you get home safely. As it's your first time clubbing I would be careful not to get too drunk either :) Apart from that just enjoy yourself babe! Clubbing can be a lot of fun.. I've reached an age where I'd rather have a quiet drink now though lol xx