Flagging posts?

I’m not sure if users get a message or not, maybe get someone to flag one of yours and see if what happens?

I got a message when @Blonde_Bunny flagged me for Spam (and maybe other people too, but she’s the only one that 'fessed up :slightly_smiling_face:).

So, Hello and welcome @Alicia4Ever :slightly_smiling_face: (now can you flag this one as ‘off-topic’ and we’ll see what happens :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

I got an off-topic from Brenna, but I don’t think that counts as she’s a superhero with special powers. :slightly_smiling_face:

Alicia does not appear to be around today. How about you @MsSubExperimenter? Or maybe @Cassii?

Care to Flag me as ‘off-topic’ just so we can see what happens?

1 Like

@Ian_Chimp Just flagged it for you.Did it do what you expected ?

1 Like

Excellent. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I did not receive a message. :+1: @Lovehoney_Brenna will have to let us know when she gets a spare minute what it looks like from the Mod end, but I don’t feel quite so bad flagging someone as off-topic if they don’t get a message. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did read that getting flagged by multiple members may trigger a message or an auto-hide, so that’s something else to consider.

2 Likes

I think if the person you were flagging did get a message telling them who had flagged them it could possibly lead to a little friction between members and might seem like disapproval.

It’s anonymous. :slightly_smiling_face: Brenna knows who flagged what, but the message just says ‘members of the community have decided you’re a dirty, dirty rule breaker and have issued these sanctions’ :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s an example a bit further up of the one I got for Spam. :+1:

1 Like

I think that keeping it anonymous makes sense.

My main concern was not wanting to generate a system rebuke for someone simply for saying hello&welcome. :slightly_smiling_face: Like when I want to Flag something for being in the wrong category. I just want to draw attention to it so it can be moved, rather than send a message to the ‘perp’ telling them they’re crap at forums. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I got a message when I was flagged for being off topic a week or so back… it was fair. I had deviated off topic in the second part of my reply :see_no_evil:, I subsequently reposted elsewhere. I obviously took no offence as I know the forum and was not new, however, if I was a new user I would find it very off putting if I was just trying to be nice.

2 Likes

Ha. That may have been me. :slightly_smiling_face: I was interested to see what happened when I clicked it. I did get a message from one off-topic flag I did, saying that it had been edited (I think?). And the notification now sits in my ‘edit’ category (along with the ones of mine that Brenna has edited/moved category/changed in some way). But others haven’t shown up.

I’m finding it a bit confusing. :slightly_smiling_face:

So why didn’t I get a message when Onlyones flagged me? Maybe because I’m TL2 now? Or maybe you need more than 1 person to Flag it to trigger it? :thinking:

1 Like

Wish there was a laughing response as well as a like! :rofl:

(Don’t flag me :pray:t2:, I know this post is off topic - won’t happen again!)

2 Likes

Could i just point out i only flagged him because he did actually request it,at the moment flagging @Ian_Chimp is probably akin to kicking a puppy.

3 Likes

I think that would be because I hadn’t sorted the flag yet, sorry!

Ah, so they’re not instantly auto-generated? :slightly_smiling_face:

So… If I flagged a new user’s hello&welcome that was in a random topic what would happen?

You’d get a mod ping and then:

• You agree with the flag → they get a message
  • You disagree → nothing?
  • You ignore, but change it anyway? → nothing?

And I am very grateful for it too. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just on the more than one person flagging things I tried to flag the requested post as off topic (sorry I am so late to the flagging party :joy:, I’ll say the word flag as much as possible to make up for it) and it told me it had already been reviewed and deemed as okay.

So it looks as though once something has been flagged and deemed to be NOT flaggable, that it becomes un-flaggable under the flag category. :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Aka: if someone reports it and the mods think it’s okay, it can’t be reported again for the same reason

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

It’s a clever little thing. :slightly_smiling_face: I wonder if editing the message would reset that too?

Though that must only be after a mod has dealt with it as I think it counts how many flags a naughty post gets. And I think your Trust Level counts too. A TL3 can instantly hide a TL0 spam posts, for instance.

We probably should have calved off a linked Flagging topic a few posts back. :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe we can ask @Lovehoney_Brenna to split us into one… ? :+1::slightly_smiling_face: