Foundation

What foundation do you ladies use?

I've just got my first paycheck (FINALLY!) and am sick of using cheap crap that looks rubbish and doesn't last!

I have combination skin, sometimes it can be a bit dry so makeup tends to show up. Or it can be a bit oily which isn't great either. I don't want to pay more than £30.

Any recommendations? xx

i use the boots no7 brand in calico,i use to spend endless amounts of money trying to get a perfect foundation for my skin tone, i either looked to orange or to pale,so when i saw the advert for boots no7 foundation, i thought id give it a go went into boots they did the face scan and got a prefect match for my skin tone now thats all i use and its not that expensive :) which is great for my pocket

I've always heard great things about mac or nars, I can't afford anything like that at the moment theres lots of different types of mac foundation and they come in so many shades i'm sure you'll find something suitable, because they're so high end they should stay on all day, If i'm at a party or special event i'll use primer to help make my makeup last so thats something to consider aswell, I watch a lot of makeup videos on youtube

Revlon Colourstay is what I used to use, I have combination skin and they do a version for Oily/Combination skin and another one for Dry/Normal skin. It lasts foreeeever and you only need a little tiny bit because it's quite heavy coverage, it does dry fast but once you figure out how to apply it (I use a big dense flat-top brush) it's really good!

I'm using Mac Studio Fix now but I might switch back because I think it's making me break out, which is weird because I've used it before and had no issues. Their Studio Sculpt is meant to be good for drier skin in case you wanted to look into that one too :)

I've never used primer, maybe I'll give that a go for my party next weekend! I've heard good things about mac too. I've used a brush before but it just made my makeup really streaky. Will give those youtube videos a shot too! Thanks.

Sleepycelia... I cannot figure out what your profile picture is! Enlighten me?

Tend not to use foundation but ise the dermoligica skin smoothing creme and a mineral based powder over the top

dotdashdot wrote:

I've never used primer, maybe I'll give that a go for my party next weekend! I've heard good things about mac too. I've used a brush before but it just made my makeup really streaky. Will give those youtube videos a shot too! Thanks.

Sleepycelia... I cannot figure out what your profile picture is! Enlighten me?

It's both my legs and my arm! And a little tiny mark from a spanking/paddling but you can't really see it. E.L.F's studio line have really good quality brushes, I like their flat top powder brush for applying foundation with. Plus they're stupidly cheap! Wouldn't recommend their stippling brush though, skip that one.

Double wear by Estée Lauder. As a nurse I need something that lasts long enough for a 12 hour shift and this is the only product that successfully does it for me.

I actually use a cheap foundation witch I get at superdrug, I've used loads of expensive ones but honestly it's the best!

dotdashdot wrote:

I use the pink garnier one, it makes my skin super smooth and flawless before applying foundation and it makes it last ALL day!

I have annoying combination skin, both oily and dry as well! I still haven't found the perfect one for a number of reasons, one being my combination skin, the other being I have olive notes in my skin and find that most foundations have undertones that are too pink. I always look for oil-free mattifying powder foundations and occasionally liquid too. I hardly ever wear foundation though because of the crap it does to my pores.

When I do wear make-up though, before I put it on I use Simple spotless skin anti-blemish moisturiser to keep my skin hydrated whilst at the same time keeping the oil away. Actually, I use it daily but always use a little extra when wearing make-up and it makes quite a difference compared to when I don't use the moisturiser. Primers also help loads however I haven't personally tried any because of how little I wear make-up.

I dont use a foundation either just a tinted moisturiser, dont like the feel of foundation after being in work all day, olay total effects touch of max factor foundation is fab, keeps your skin feeling cleaner and it doesnt feel thick and cloggy on the skin after wering it all day??

Lovehoney - Nicole wrote:

This is an ongoing issue for me - I have stupidly pale skin and it's really difficult to find brands that make anything light enough for me. At the moment I have three that I like: Clinique Perfectly Real Makeup, Lancome Teint Miracle (this on is amazing but a tad too dark) and Revlon Colorstay (this is the cheapest, and may be my favourite actually!)

If they started making them in paler shades, top of my wishlist would be Make Up For Ever Invisible Cover, anything by Smashbox or Urban Decay (especially Naked) and Nars Sheer Matt.

Sigh.

i too have really pale skin. i use Loreal true match. they do a massive range of tones if you go to a large boots. it naturally blends to your skin tone. also apply using a make up sponge makes a huge difference. i also use the loreal touche magique for hiding blemishes and dark circles. its high street and often on 3 for 2 at superdrug.

Cat Lady wrote:

Is it really bad that I have never worn foundation and almost never wear makeup at all? It doesn't really "help" me feel more confident or attractive or get me attention.

Neither do I its nice knowing your not alone I feel a little unusual for not wearing makeup so it does make you feel a little better that your not alone :)

Lovehoney - Nicole wrote:

This is an ongoing issue for me - I have stupidly pale skin and it's really difficult to find brands that make anything light enough for me. At the moment I have three that I like: Clinique Perfectly Real Makeup, Lancome Teint Miracle (this on is amazing but a tad too dark) and Revlon Colorstay (this is the cheapest, and may be my favourite actually!)

If they started making them in paler shades, top of my wishlist would be Make Up For Ever Invisible Cover, anything by Smashbox or Urban Decay (especially Naked) and Nars Sheer Matt.

Sigh.

Hey Nicole - I am also very pale and like BV I use Estée Lauder double wear foundation. I use Ecru - but found it was a bit too pale so now I mix it with Fresco. In the summer I just use a bit more of the darker one in the mix and in the winter I just use more of the pale shade. Also this is the only foundation I have found that lasts all day. I have combination skin and this really keeps me matt. :) xxx

SophieM wrote:

I have annoying combination skin, both oily and dry as well! I still haven't found the perfect one for a number of reasons, one being my combination skin, the other being I have olive notes in my skin and find that most foundations have undertones that are too pink. I always look for oil-free mattifying powder foundations and occasionally liquid too. I hardly ever wear foundation though because of the crap it does to my pores.

When I do wear make-up though, before I put it on I use Simple spotless skin anti-blemish moisturiser to keep my skin hydrated whilst at the same time keeping the oil away. Actually, I use it daily but always use a little extra when wearing make-up and it makes quite a difference compared to when I don't use the moisturiser. Primers also help loads however I haven't personally tried any because of how little I wear make-up.

I also have combination skin and after years of trying tons of products I now use Superdrugs own make oil balancing cleansing gel and oil balancing moisturiser which works wonders under make up and is a great bargain too. They are also paraben free, oil free & fragrance free which is really good. I also use the Simple wipes to take off excess make up before I use the wash :) xxx

I use bare essentials primer and their mineral make up. I cant get on with normal foundation as i just feel all clogged up. Apparently you can even sleep in it. I have combination skin with a t zone that is an oil slick so i find that cream foundations are just too much for my skin.

I used to use MAC but found it too heavy for my skin as I have very dry skin, so I now apply moisturiser 5 minutes before applying my foundation.

Currently I use 'Bourjois healthy mix serum' (£10.99) - which I find works wonders with a light dusting of powder to set the foundation to keep it on and looking fresh all day.

Although I recently got a small tester sample of 'Hello flawless oxygen wow - Benefit' which is also great it just has a higher price tag of £25.50, I think I would stick to the Bourjois foundation if I am honest I like to stick to what I know.

Hope this helps some of you guys heartxx

Gem26 wrote:

Cat Lady wrote:

Is it really bad that I have never worn foundation and almost never wear makeup at all? It doesn't really "help" me feel more confident or attractive or get me attention.

Neither do I its nice knowing your not alone I feel a little unusual for not wearing makeup so it does make you feel a little better that your not alone :)

You are definitely not alone. I rarely, if ever, wear make-up; sometimes I might use a tinted moisturiser but nothing on my eyes now as it irritates and sets them watering and I end up looking like a panda.

Hi Nicole I've used it but didn't get on with it very well. (I'm really picky lol)

But I know use MUA undress your skin foundation it's really amazing! And just £5 normally but on special at the moment for £3! X