giving/ given up smoking

so ive smoked on one night ( when i was drinking ) in about 2.5 weeks now... and ive noticed several changes in my senses .. but none of them positive like id heard you would get .. i thought when you gacve up things were supposed to taste more .. youd taste things better , stronger etc again ? im finding it hard to find flavour in almost anything and when things ARE strong enough to taste which is rare .. they taste chemically . the same with smell .. im not noticint more thing ssmelling stronger , but seemingly i have a perpetual stench of something off up my nose ! ( note : have showered regularly in yummy lush goodies as per .. so no , its not me gone off ! ) anyone else got this ? is it too soon ? will the yucky / and / or lack of tatse and smell disspiate ? .

rubysoho wrote:

so ive smoked on one night ( when i was drinking ) in about 2.5 weeks now... and ive noticed several changes in my senses .. but none of them positive like id heard you would get .. i thought when you gacve up things were supposed to taste more .. youd taste things better , stronger etc again ? im finding it hard to find flavour in almost anything and when things ARE strong enough to taste which is rare .. they taste chemically . the same with smell .. im not noticint more thing ssmelling stronger , but seemingly i have a perpetual stench of something off up my nose ! ( note : have showered regularly in yummy lush goodies as per .. so no , its not me gone off ! ) anyone else got this ? is it too soon ? will the yucky / and / or lack of tatse and smell disspiate ? .

Hey Hun - I knew someone years ago who was a heavy smoker and quit. They said they had a metalic taste in their mouth when they quit and some other strange tastes too so it is quite possible it is from not having cigarettes. As soon as you quit your body starts healing itself from all the damage smoking has caused so you'll go through some strange stuff, but hang in there because it is well worth it. After a while things will start tasting better and smelling better.

After a while you will probably start to actually dislike the smell of smoke! Good Luck Hun :) xxx

ive NEVER liked the smell of smoke scorp !!! i have always been a wierd smoker . like i can go all week without one and then ill have a drink or 6 and ill hit 40 in a night then go two weeks without again till i drink again ! or if i get serious stress , ill smoke through the day sometimes , but .. its odd .. its never been a habit i cant just .. pfhht ... unless theres booze involved so ive bought a vapour cigarette , but got the juices in it with NO nicotene in , so its just shisha flavoured linctus , and hoping that will sate me while i drink .. im just fed up of my lips looking crumbly and being too out of breath to exercise ! xxx

8 years quit now. Proud to have quit and do feel miles better in every way.

Stuburns wrote:

nice one . did you get horrid tatstes do you remember ?

Ive quite 6yrs now.

Suppose i feel better for it.....well yeah i do feel better for not smoking. I also wasnt fond of the smell of smoke and certainly even more so now.

You will certainly feel better in terms of money. You could always save the money you would have used for buying cigarettes, to buy yourself something nice on here.

I have never been able to quit so can't comment on that. But wanted to say congrats to you hun! You have a lot more willpower then I have ever had!! xx

I went off smoking for a few weeks, just the very occasional cigarette here and there. Then I caved in with all the christmas stress, water bill coming through, haven't got enough money coming into the house etc. I practically became the mascot of smoking when this happened yesterday

*Morning*

OH: Do you want anything from the shop? fags? backy?

Me: *In my mid-sluber state* Nah I'm giving up.

OH: Good girl.

*That evening*

Me: *Opening up a new pouch of tobacco*

OH: I thought you said you were giving up?

Me: I can't. I genuinely, physically can't.

It was my oh who got me to give up.

Believe me i think she would be able to get anyone to give up cigarettes lol

MandiVonSweiss wrote:

I went off smoking for a few weeks, just the very occasional cigarette here and there. Then I caved in with all the christmas stress, water bill coming through, haven't got enough money coming into the house etc. I practically became the mascot of smoking when this happened yesterday

*Morning*

OH: Do you want anything from the shop? fags? backy?

Me: *In my mid-sluber state* Nah I'm giving up.

OH: Good girl.

*That evening*

Me: *Opening up a new pouch of tobacco*

OH: I thought you said you were giving up?

Me: I can't. I genuinely, physically can't.

lol bless ya.. I've been there! x

xmorningxgloryx wrote:

I have never been able to quit so can't comment on that. But wanted to say congrats to you hun! You have a lot more willpower then I have ever had!! xx

ahh fanks :) like i say ive a wierd relationship with fags , its mostky just with booze but im hoping my pretty pink vape e-cig will hold that at bay :) x

ahh mandi i know ! i read on your FB .. bless ya . you do what you want chicken , if smooking makes ya feel better , go for it ! xxx

Vivid nightmares for about 2 weeks. Would say I had a metallic taste whilst I was smoking. In all I would say after about 3 months cravings had gone and I did feel a lot better especially when I woke in the mornings.
I think if you are giving up the best thing to do is not to count the days because you are just reminding urself about fags and be especially strong when out having a drink. Don't do the patches/ elec cig because again they just remind you that you want a cig. Will power and stay strong.

I know it's bad but I definitely enjoy cigs too much to give them up. May change my mind about it in a few years.

sexyjess21 wrote:

I definitely enjoy cigs too much to give them up.

Smokes are one of the best things in life.

sexyjess21 wrote:

May change my mind about it in a few years.

I haven't ;) The older I am, the more I want to preserve what I have that really matters to me.

And besides, there are always these guys to think about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quitters_Inc

I'm not a quitter ;)

Stuburns wrote:

I gave up when the smoking ban came in in England [so six years ago I believe]. Don't remember any change in taste.

But the coughing first thing in the morning stayed for about two years...

I was similar to you ruby, I was a smoker when I drank and couple have smoke 30 on a night out, then only would have them if I was very stressed at work.
Stick with it, it will be worth it in the long run. Your doing really well. They say if you can get over the two week mark your chances have greatly improved of staying off them x

Stuburns wrote:

Vivid nightmares for about 2 weeks. Would say I had a metallic taste whilst I was smoking. In all I would say after about 3 months cravings had gone and I did feel a lot better especially when I woke in the mornings.
I think if you are giving up the best thing to do is not to count the days because you are just reminding urself about fags and be especially strong when out having a drink. Don't do the patches/ elec cig because again they just remind you that you want a cig. Will power and stay strong.

my eciggy thing is just for something to do with my hands .. thats all an has no nicotene in it .. just flavoured shisha .

i aint bothered so much if i DO smoke to be honest but its just too much money at the moent being literally burned away

Thing is with the e ciggy you are still doing the cig motions. I don't know anyone who has given up using an e-cig. Seen them all try but soon enough it gets replaced for a fag.

i know several people whove been on the e-cigs for a year and not touched one . like i say i dont smoke every day anyway ... its only for when im drinking .. so its not like im replacing a daily habit , ya get me ?

I get ya.
Seems people replace one thing for another and call it 'I've quit smoking'. Bet the e-cigs aren't cheap either and how many cartridges a week.
We have banned the e-cigs indoors at the golf club. 1, because to people who have given up it's quite enticing to start again and 2, it's water vapour(yet to be fully endorsed by a medical council) or supposed to be and 3, I have a vaporiser that I used for cannabis so it's only fair that if I can't use that then bye bye e-cigs haha