Quitting Smoking

So... I'm taking the plunge tomorrow. I've been a smoker for 11 years on and off. I've had a few successful quit attempts, but have usually started again after 6 months or so.

I'd really like a fresh perspective from others who have quit smoking. Just in case there is something I haven't tried. What worked best for you? Did you go cold turkey or use nicotine replacement?

Feel free to also share success stories or even share how you're feeling if you're currently doing the same thing!

I've been a smoker since I was 10! Disgusting I know. I stopped a few years ago using nicotine patches but I only used them for 14 days then went cold turkey and stopped for 2 years. Started again after a stressfull time in my life. Wish I never started again to be honest.

I quit cigarrettes in august lat year and have been smoking a vapouriser ever since. Obvious benefits being less chemicals, and it doesn't stunk. You decide your own stregnth. However, I don't ever see myself not smoking my vape pen. For me rather than helping me quit it has just replaced cigarrettes.

I would however say that I don't use it as much as I initially did. A whole 1ml tank will last me 2 full days, on a day where I am amoking it constantly I will smoke a full tank. But that is still not very much considering while reading threads on vaping forums I discovered that a lot of people will smoke 2-3 tanks a day! Which to me sounds crazy!

Went from 40 a day to quitting, we both read a book by a guy called Allan Carr only way to stop smoking, have not had a fag in 10 years now.

I started smoking just 6 years ago, when I was 22. In that time, I have tried to a few times. I am currently on my third attempt and as of tomorrow, it will be 3 months since i've touched a cigarette - and at this point, I don't feel the need to ever touch one again.

The first time I quit, just a month into quitting, my gran passed away which brought a lot of stress and brought back the smoking. The second time I quit, we moved house and suffered a massive amount of problems with all sorts which again, ended up with me starting up again.

The third time I quit was at the beginning of December - and so far, nothing has gone wrong, and I have been so busy either working, looking after a puppy, managing a blog - I just don't have time to think about it.

Different things work for different people - you just have to keep yourself focused. If you are going to quit cold turkey and just 'stop' then make sure you've got plenty of other things to keep you occupied - the distractions really help. I avoided my 'smoking' friends for a little while as well so I wouldn't be tempted. Once you get past the first couple of weeks, it does get much easier. I also like to put the money that I would have spent on ciggies in a big clear jar and I can watch it grow into a nice big pot of cash - it's funny how seeing it grow can be a huge motivator.

Whatever you do, Good Luck!

I smoked from the age of 14 ... Tried patches but only lasted three months ..

i then decided out of the blue October 17th 2013 to give up ... I went on ecigs ... I tried different makes but found "menthol motives" to be the best ones for me .

I Never ever smoked menthol . But find that I don't like the tobacco flavour .

i have to say I am still addicted to the ecig ... I just cannot give it up ... But I would rather spend £6.00 a week rather than £75.00

i hope one day I am able to get rid of my ecig ...

Cold turkey. It's the only way. Plenty of willpower and training your mind to do something other than picking up that cig. I have quit ten years now and can honestly say I will never do it again.

Been chewing nicotine gum for 10 years.... Love the more than occasional cigar. The urge to smoke will be with me forever, if I ever walk past a half smoked fag on the pavement a little voice inside says "have it"

I gave up smoking 10 years ago used to smoke menthols was never really addicted so going cold turkey was no problem for me i do find myself having the occasional craving though their not strong enough i would really want a ciggy

No tips, I'm afraid, but just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow and the next few weeks. There will always be lots of support for you on the forum if you feel you are weakening.

One thing not to do is to remind yourself by counting how many days/weeks you have given up. That just reminds you you smoked cigs only days/weeks ago.
Keep the reason why your are quoting in your head and remind yourself of that reason.
Good luck keep strong. 👍

I stoped smoking not all that long ago, but once I started using my E-cig I have never looked back :)

I've never been a smoker so can't help much but just wanted to say good luck and well done

I started at 12... I'm now 28.. Ive quit multiple times, during pregnancy etc.. When 18/19 I sd once I get to 25 I won't smoke.. When we decided to try for our last child, I happened to be 25 and I quit again.. This time I've stayed off them... It will be 4 yrs in April...

Tips wise... I cut-out drinking for ages as I associated the two together, in fact it was nearly two years before I drank properly again.. For craving, I used chewing gum or fruit like apples to help the sweet cravings..

Thank you all for your stories, words of wisdom and support.

I've got some patches left over from last time, so I'm going to use them until they run out. That should give me enough time to break the habit of going for a fag. I've kept myself occupied all morning with the kids etc, so it's so far so good! My OH is definitely happy with the extra help, so it's another positive I can see straight away.

I guess it's all about noticing the little victories like being less out of breath or smelling nicer which will really help to keep me motivated.

I'm looking forward to posting back on this thread in a years time to say I've managed a whole year (a milestone I've yet to reach!)

Most people I know found going cold turkey was the best.

If you contact your no smoking clinic, you also might get extra help like free gym membership, etc. It's a great way to see how it helps and improves your lungs, which some people find as an encouragement to quit.

Another tip is to take publis transport as you can't smoke on buses and trains, that's if you're use to driving and smoking.

Some find crafting helps, as it keeps your hands busy too.

I think it's something you have to decide yourself as you have more motivation to stick at it, rather than just doing it for others. So think about why it'll help you, not just others around you. I know it may sound a bit selfish, but really it can motivate you.

Good luck.

good luck,

this year marks my 9th year :)

I read the how to stop smoking by alan carr book. was insiteful

I switched to using a vapouriser a week ago with the lowest nicotine content available and havent touched a real cigarette since. It's a lesser of two evils scenario for me but I have found that the last couple of days I have been using it far less or be inclined to do so. So working for me at least.

My mother gave up on will power after about 35years of smoking now shes 15years on n never looked back

My uncles gone totally to vaps

N my bfs stopped n using vaps n slowly reducing the intake

I started smoking at 16, in no time at all I had a 20 a day habit, I tried to stop a number of times, with will power, patched even got hypnotised but nothing worked.
UNTIL The BOOK

Alan Carr's easy way to stop smoking!

Totally amazing. I sat up until 3am chain smoking and reading it so I could start a fresh the following morning

Never looked back, haven't missed it once and that was 3 1/2 years ago.

The way the book works is it re educated your mind around smoking, it dispels the myths that keep us smoking. At the end of the day it's about £8, less than a pack of fags and has about 380 pages, what have you got to loose!

Best of luck!!!

I started my next lifestyle change yesterday, for 5 years I've drunk nothing but diet coke, not had a drop for 36 hours now and I wish there was a book for this, still in a couple of weeks I'll be an ex smoker and a recovering coke addict lol

Hope you don't mind a non-smoker contributing, but have you thought of putting the money you would be spending on cigs into a jar and then when you get to a significant milestone of quitting treating yourself to something really nice that you never feel you could justify buying normally? There's a cost calculator here: http://www.canstopsmoking.com/tools/cost-calculator. Even if you just spend £20pm on cigs, that would be enough to get you a luxury toy once you hit the 6 month mark. Best of luck!