Stopping amoking

So I have decided to stop smoking again ( I stopped for 3 months last year) on Saturday, with an appointment for the local nhs stop smoking service on Monday.

The thing is I like smoking, some of the best times I have had on nights out have been standing outside with fellow smokers, putting the world to rights and talking to people. Yes, I know all the bad things about it, but there are some good things.

Why am I stopping? I just simply can't afford to anymore, I live on £120 a fortnight and £30 goes towards baccy.

Anyone got any tips to motivate me?

smoke something healthier.... like weed :P

(just joking before everyone flips)

fistinglover69 wrote:

smoke something healthier.... like weed :P

or put something else in your mouth?

Anyone got any tips to motivate me?

Think of all the awesome stuff you will be able to buy :)

I'd normaly advise you plan your whisky shelf, but as its love honey, sat a wishlist up :)

As a non smoker I cannot give advice. But having watched my father in law go through a quadruple bi pass and still not be able to quit I have respect for anyone who tries. Best of luck chylly fox.

mhmmm, tobacco is the 9th most addictive substance out of many many many, with mdma, some opiates, LSD and some stimulants (such as methy;phenidate) being beneath it. makes you stop and think, doesnt it :P

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I really need to quit or at least really cut down, but three doctors have said the stress would probably kill me far far quicker than smoking ever will. I've already got a dodgy liver, IBS and bad muscle tension from stress. Last time I cut down and was going through hell with stress, my liver was really in bad shape. Stress can cause body organs to shut down, and I was really ill then. So docs are reluctant to help me. Can't say I blame them.

However, it's a catch 22 just now, because my breathing and lungs is becoming dodgy. Not getting any worse, but still a bit dodgy. Plus very recently the back of my nose hasn't felt right and has been bleeding now and then! Need to see GP about it. Just hope it isn't smoking related...

maybe speak to your doctor about completely different forms of addiction help? certain medications can be prescribed such as varenicline and bupropion. these will not only help to cut down/quit but will prevent some side effects

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

However, it's a catch 22 just now, because my breathing and lungs is becoming dodgy. Not getting any worse, but still a bit dodgy. Plus very recently the back of my nose hasn't felt right and has been bleeding now and then! Need to see GP about it. Just hope it isn't smoking related...

Get out of that moldy house. Please.

Maybe the GP can help move you up the housing list.

i decided last year that i ought to quit the ciggies, it had got to the point where i was spending close to £300 a month - 30 a day. Family had nagged for ages - to no avail. By chance i stumbled on teh e cig lark, and again by chance there was a thread on one of teh other forums i pop on.....explaining in great detail about vaping and the difference between the cheapie lokalike fags and some other types of kit.

i bought a kit of 2 and stated new years day ( no not a resolution just no fags in the house and unfit to drive to get some)....haven't had a ciggie since...nor have i wanted one.

i probably look like a right muppet with my Dr Who type pen, but i dont care. the e-liquid is cheap as chips, and teh kit needs little in teh way of maintenance/refreshing - i reckon it now costs me about £12-15 a week and that's a serious amount of vaping.

you can buy different strength liquids and of course liquids that vary from tobacco flavoured to goodness knows what else, my preference is not to taste anything like tobacco, so i choose vanilla, which for those around smells pleasant too.

so might be worth a look?

I am another former smoker who quit using an electronic cigerette. It was the only thing that stopped me and it works out a lot cheaper than smoking. (£10/£20 a month on nicotine oils and the initial outlay to buy the E-cig) The problem is, I think the E-Cig is addictive!

I guess it would solve your issues though, you still get a nicotine kick, you still get something to put in your mouth/fingers and you can still stand outside with the smokers and enjoy a vape.

Ork wrote:

Fluffbags wrote:

I am another former smoker who quit using an electronic cigerette. It was the only thing that stopped me and it works out a lot cheaper than smoking. (£10/£20 a month on nicotine oils and the initial outlay to buy the E-cig) The problem is, I think the E-Cig is addictive!

I guess it would solve your issues though, you still get a nicotine kick, you still get something to put in your mouth/fingers and you can still stand outside with the smokers and enjoy a vape.

My dad's hooked on the nictoine lozenge things they give you... in his own words he swapped one addiction for another.

same chemical though haha. also, means its not harming his lungs anymore

Never thought I'd say this.... but luckily, I'm on the dole. I will be getting all the patches/gum/inhaler/the spray thing for FREE.... love that price..... via the NHS :)

Ork wrote:

mainly becuase they were the most sociable, which is something my curriculum head was always poiniting out, smoking is a social thing mostly.

I agree,with this, and since I only have 1 friend, I love this.
But you can't pay bills with friends :(

I gave up a few days before the smoking ban came in in England, 5 and a half years ago, and can honestly say, I am proud I have not had a single cig since. The first two weeks where hard, and especially when stressed at work but it faded away, and never really craved one since. Possibly once or twice, when out drinking, I'd ask for one, but by then it had been so long, my friends, whom smoked, said NO!!! and I love them for that. Don't miss waking up in the morning, having a fag, and the morning cough took me a long time (2-3 years) to lose. But the key thing I think is you actually WANT to give up, a bit like when a child give up their dummy. It's not 3 months here or there, its for life, but you really have to want it and be strong. This is the key, YOU HAVE TO WANT TO GIVE UP, not because of what your doctor/mum/oh/family says - it has to come from yourself. Good luck.

chylly fox wrote:

Never thought I'd say this.... but luckily, I'm on the dole. I will be getting all the patches/gum/inhaler/the spray thing for FREE.... love that price..... via the NHS :)

Ork wrote:

mainly becuase they were the most sociable, which is something my curriculum head was always poiniting out, smoking is a social thing mostly.

I agree,with this, and since I only have 1 friend, I love this. But you can't pay bills with friends :(

naughty! if you can pay for the addiction you can pay for the prevention

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

fistinglover69 wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I really need to quit or at least really cut down, but three doctors have said the stress would probably kill me far far quicker than smoking ever will. I've already got a dodgy liver, IBS and bad muscle tension from stress. Last time I cut down and was going through hell with stress, my liver was really in bad shape. Stress can cause body organs to shut down, and I was really ill then. So docs are reluctant to help me. Can't say I blame them.

maybe speak to your doctor about completely different forms of addiction help? certain medications can be prescribed such as varenicline and bupropion. these will not only help to cut down/quit but will prevent some side effects

I didn'tknow that. Thanks for the info!

yep, they keep it on the down low because 'all drugs are bad and unnatural'

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Not really sure how old you are, but I took some strong antibiotics, which were really tough on the liver, and my nose would bleed without reason? (and it hasen't done since I was a child) Defenitely check it out, its just a simple blood test

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Not taking antibiotics at the mo, and nosebleeds have only just started, while the liver/stress stuff has been monitered for a couple of years now.

could just be due to high blood pressure cause by stress, you know? stress is bloody awful for your body!

I'm an ex smoker, stopped about 18 months ago. It was really hard and I had to really work hard but I did it! How did I manage? I had it in my head that I was determined to stop. Once you get it into your head you're half way there! I used the quickmist spray as an aid when I was craving. It really does help but it's quite strong.

I did go to the local smoking cessation clinic at my GP surgery. I had tried to give up a few times before but I found going to the clinic every week really helped me. It was the carbon monoxide testing at my first class that scared the hell out of me and was really surprised how quickly it came down after I stopped.

If you really want to stop you will! Good luck!

OK stopped at 6 tonight instead of tomorrow, as I ran out of baccy.

Got my gum and spray, and soon, I'm off to asda to get choclate biccies :)

Thanks AA. It sometimes feels like such a long time ago but so glad I did.

chylly fox good luck! You can do it if you really want to. The spray is really good, it really helped me.