Glasgow City Council aim to criminalise "purchase of sex"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8401264.stm

It makes me proud to live here - NOT! As Scot-Pep say, the sale of sex should be made safer for sex workers, not driven underground, making vulnerable people even more so .

I dont agree with prostitution, but if it's a choice (albeit a choice I find somewhat wrong) between two consenting people then I dont have too much of a problem with it.

I can see where they're coming from in a sense with sex trafficking and such, but, for lack of a better analogy, it's spoiling everyone's fun because of a minority.

I dont see how they're going to be able to enforce this really, and as you said, it'll make all those vulnerable people even more so.

I don't agree with prostitution either - it can be downright dangerous and can put people in bad situations. But this will only be more true if prostitution is outlawed. More needs to be done on the topic of prostitution but outlawing it isn't the answer.

Ax

Too often the lawmakers etc go for vote grabbing headlines rather than something helpful like reducing harm.

As far as I am aware, it is currently illegal to solicit i.e. tout for business, and kerb crawl. This proposed new legislation would further criminalise it for any transaction to take place at all, as I understand it.

For every Belle Du Jour, there are tens of poor wretches who are trying to feed their kids or their own addictions, risking being thrown out of cars and murdered. What they need is protection within law, not being hounded further. I'm no advocate of prostitution but it should be regulated, not demonised.

http://www.scot-pep.org.uk

There is no info on their site yet but I'm sure they'll be co-ordinating a response.

I think it is shocking, prostitution is the oldest profession in the book, woman have been doing it for years. I do think it would be better to make it legal and then it would help to protect the woman who choose to do the job. I do understand that a lot of woman are pushed into but if it was legal then maybe that wouldn't happen. Making it illegal in my opinon will just make matters worse. Brushing things like this under the "carpet" won't make it go away. Just my opinion.

i dont agree with prostitution, and i actualy have much more problems/issues with the people who use prostitutes then the actualy prostitutes them self cos at the end of the day these people who work in prostitution are normaly ownly doing so as a way to survie, to live. and if there wasnt people going to prostitutets (along with the morel reasons) then maybe the govermeant would have to do more to help people who are in danger an in need for alot of real help.

so i totaly agree with jaygee, however sadly the truth is your never ever going to stop prostitution (dont they say its the oldest profession?) but by atleast not criminasliseing and having lisend(sp) brothels then it could save many many people from, rape, murder and so many other dangers that come with prostitution.

Dxx

As far as I'm aware it is illegal if it's in the public eye but actually paying someone for sex isn't illegal. I agree with AA, better to legalise it and have control than running it underground. Let's face it, no-one can ever stop prostitution, it's literally one of the oldest trades. What they need to be doing is giving people who currently have no choice alternative options x

Wizzie86 wrote:

As far as I'm aware it is illegal if it's in the public eye but actually paying someone for sex isn't illegal. I agree with AA, better to legalise it and have control than running it underground. Let's face it, no-one can ever stop prostitution, it's literally one of the oldest trades. What they need to be doing is giving people who currently have no choice alternative options x

Hi Wizzie - that's what they want to do, criminalise the transaction and both the sex worker and the client.

What about people who for various reasons (age, disability, don't want a relationship, have a fetish etc) who are happy to pay for safe sex? Are they to be handed convictions too? And remember, men are prostitutes too.

I am always worried when politicians, the biggest hypocrites out there, start forcing their own morality on us. As people who enjoy and celebrate sex, we have to wonder where it will end. They won't be happy until it's like 1984 and we are all members of the Anti-Sex League!

I can't believe that I'm 25 and only just learned that prostitution isn't illegal here! I thought it already was illegal to sell sex, though I didn't and don't think that should be the case.

The people that should be prosecuted are the pimps and drug pushers, they're the dangerous ones, that's where the real problem lies. As far as I'm concerned if people want to pay for or sell sex that's their business and noone elses!

The poster in that link is utterly ridiculous: to compare prositution to rape makes about as much sense as comparing shopping to theft...it's not the same bloody thing at all!!! Grrrr this has (to borrow a phrase from JG) really got my dander up!

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

The poster in that link is utterly ridiculous: to compare prositution to rape makes about as much sense as comparing shopping to theft...it's not the same bloody thing at all!!! Grrrr this has (to borrow a phrase from JG) really got my dander up!

xxKPxx

not all people who are prosittues are willing and so in that case then yes its rape. there not willing wanting to do that job but are forced to.

Dxx

diamonds wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

xxKPxx

not all people who are prosittues are willing and so in that case then yes its rape. there not willing wanting to do that job but are forced to.

Dxx

In the instances you describe yes I absolutely agree...if the person isn't willing, it's rape. Whether the person being forced is a prostitute or not is irrelevant really!

Not all people who have sex with prostitutes are rapists though...the vast majority are probably just lonely. Prostitutes can offer a service to people who have difficulties forming real connection with a proper partner. I don't think the prostitutes or the people using them should be punished for that.

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

diamonds wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

xxKPxx

Dxx

In the instances you describe yes I absolutely agree...if the person isn't willing, it's rape. Whether the person being forced is a prostitute or not is irrelevant really!

Not all people who have sex with prostitutes are rapists though...the vast majority are probably just lonely. Prostitutes can offer a service to people who have difficulties forming real connection with a proper partner. I don't think the prostitutes or the people using them should be punished for that.

xxKPxx

i think theres probably a higer rise of women forced to be a prostitue now days then there was maybe 10 years ago, i was only reading the other day about a women who thought she had come to this country to get a job to be forced to be a prostistue and was sold from one pimp to another on oxford street. the rise in this accourding the articale was the omlybics, as proststion was higher in the 5 olympic areas and the demand, accourding to the articale was from the constraction workers.

and the women filling these brothels was from easterneuropion contries, so in this case i think there are alot of men who use these to be rapist, as the women dont want to be there, there forced and most people going to these brothles most know this.

Dxx

ps sorry for the spelling, ive been rushing around a lot and my minds all over the place at the mo which makes my spelling worse lol

Dx

I'd like to see anyone try turn the OA into an anti-sex league ;-) x

Wizzie86 wrote:

I'd like to see anyone try turn the OA into an anti-sex league ;-) x

Oh it would be fun - we could all have grey overalls with red sashes and play other teams in the leagueExternal Media

Wizzie86 wrote:

Absolutely - couldn't agree more.

Well it's a good job LH have a t-shirt printing machine. I can feel a protest coming on lol ;-) usernames and pics on the front. Favourite sexual activities and toys on the back x

Some poeple might need more thn one t shirt though - just to fit the list on!