Having a little fun with Brit language

First generation Canadian from British immigrants from Blackpool having a little language fun. I understand boot, bonnet, que, lori, & loo and I love the real HP Sauce but have to ask if knickers are for both male and female underwear? That one i don’t know.

I see wardrobes often mentioned in threads. I assume that is the same as dressers or chest of drawers in North America?

Why are trucks called a lori btw and why on earth do you use both metric and imperil measurements? Why is something 6 mm thick yet a car goes 60 mph? I don’t get that part.

You say Al- you-minium
I say A- lum- minium

Even Top Gear had trouble with this when they tested the Corvette in the US.

Years ago I was in Costa Del Sol at a nudist resort. There was a Brit, Ausie, Scot, Irish, American, and Canadian couple sitting around a table. We ll spoke English but the more we drank, the less we understood each other. It was really funny to experience,

Good morning…I’m operating on little sleep and therefore excuse the blunt tone, the fact that I’m even giving this disclaimer is a miracle.

Que is spanish and what is lori? Assumming you mean queue :man_standing:t5::woman_standing::person_standing::person_standing:t4::man_standing:t2::woman_standing:t3::woman_standing:t6: and lorry :articulated_lorry::face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Knickers are generally thought of as female, but I call all underwear knickers and don’t assign them a gender. Because its clothing.
A wardrobe is a closet.
I appreciate your spelling of drawers​:massage_man:t2:
Brown sauce and red sauce are divisive.
Ok so you do mean lorry…why are they called trucks?
Mm is used to measure objects or rooms. Mph is miles per hour. You’ve got an apple and a tree and expect to compare them? No.
You say it wrong, you’re welcome :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:rofl: I’m mostly in agreement with @JoCat except I actually think you’re right on our weird mix of imperial and metric measurements.

I think we just decided to stick with both so that we could get pissed off with Europe using metric for things like people’s height and vehicle speed and get pissed off with the US for using feet rather than meters for building materials and pounds rather than kg for weight. I think we like having something to complain about with both.

Either of these work fine for me, as long as you pronounce the second “i”, we’re all good :joy:

2 Likes

Mixture of measurement came with decimalisation…
But as a culture we still love our pint of beer… About 500ml although the resthas changed as I used to by a 1/4 (1/4 pound) of sweets… Now 100g
MPH and miles have stopped… Not too sure why… Could be scale of economy changing everything road signs etc we buy petrol (gas to you) in liters but record miles to the gallon :joy::joy::joy:
Possibly due to our British values and eccentricity :joy:

2 Likes

JoCat… appreciate the feedback (not sarcastic). Most terms I only know verbally so tended to spell phonetically. Thank you for the spelling corrections. Even The Guardian changes their text to Western words for North American readers. Knickers was the word that really prompted my post and I appreciate your explanation because I couldn’t really tell if it meant women’s underwear or all underwear based on the discussions I have read so far. Over here, panties are female, underwear is either sex, and boxers are male yet “don’t get your knickers in a knot” is a common phrase everyone knows and has no gender basis.

Craig1234 - you are brilliant. Your post made me realize that we still have a mixed metric / imperial system in Canada that I hadn’t even thought about. If I go to the local pub I still order either a pint or half pint of beer (usually a pint LOL). Most Canadians have no clue how much that is but see it as a small or large beer glass or mug. Took me a long time to get my head around the whole liters/100km thing growing up with MPG.

1 Like

The mixture of metric and imperial comes because the metric system was defined by Napoleon’s government at the beginning of the 19th Century. We already had our own system, and weren’t going to adopt the French one (we were at war with France at the time). Eventually, the metric system came to be the standard for scientific use, because all the units are related to each other by powers of 10, so Britain joined the metre but everyone still used imperial for everyday use. Eventually, metric became the standard for international trade and then the weights and measures Act compelled shops to use metric for most things, except stuff like beer and milk.

Also a Brit and a Scot??? My Grandfather might have been a proud Scotsman, but he was definitely British!!! Ditto my mother in law.

Great info physicist and thank you. I will do some more searches based on what you have shared. Why not the “all in” mentality thought? Back in the day, Canada converted to metric across the board rather than individual sectors even though we still order a pint of beer or home owners measure in inches.

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Lounge

LOL… ok, perfect. I really appreciate the background on all this and never knew metric came from the French. Always thought it was a science based thing.

Tell us some Canadianisms…I only know ‘eh’ and that Canadians are friendly and don’t lock their doors. Though thats probably not fully true.

Canadianisms - funny

First off it’s F***ing cold in winter no matter where you live in Canada. Summer is pretty much 3 months.
Brits are known for fish and chips even though the last time I was in UK it was all frozen fish and chips from McCain. Where is the real stuff? . Canada specialty is poutine. It’s a mix of hot fries(chips), cheese curds, and a spicy gravy. Pure cholesterol.

Lots of articles in Guardian about out of control tourists in Venice lately. You will recognize a Canadian tourist because if they do not open the door fast enough to allow you to pass they will apologize. I get the hole respectful thing but no idea why we are so sorry for everything.

Maple syrup!!! Make it in my backyard every spring. 80% made in Canada and 20% from the north eastern united states.

The main difference? We live next door to the “Orange Jesus” trying to win re-election in the US.

1 Like

I rrmrmber getting deep fried cheese curds in a fair in Minnesota when I lived there. I think it was Apple Valley. They were amazing, I went back for more. Assuming theres some cross-over with food seeing as its next door to Canada. Would love to try real poutine. But proper fish and chips are elite.

Deep fried cheese curds! The street vendors don’t usually have it in Ottawa but I think I can find it in the food courts. Great idea to go looking for!

1 Like