Location specific language

First, I know by default that the site is UK based so I’m automatically expecting more UK users than non UK.

Some words I see that give away a UK user are:
-Bloody
-Knackered
-Telly
-Pub (vice the US “bar”)

Question, had a user tell me that a problem she was working on at her job had her “bloody knackered”. Is that more like ‘puzzled’ or ‘upset/frustrated’?

Another question, what are words in chat that would give me away as a US American?

2 Likes

It means tired :slight_smile: So does “I’m absolutely shattered”

2 Likes

Bloody knackered would translate to US speak as " F#$&ing wiped out. Extremely tired.

When referring to a females " fanny" in the US ( for some peolle)would relate to their Ass. In the UK that would be female genital.

We are often referred to as two nations separated by the same language. :joy:

2 Likes

tears of joy @Lovehoney_Brenna actually replied to one of my posts! That’s like getting an autograph :grin::grin::grin:

4 Likes

Just get everyone to name a bread roll. I’ll start, they are softies up my neck of the woods. And “Rowies” are a local delicacy!

3 Likes

Bread rolls and PE shoes :joy:

1 Like

@Iwill LOL thanks for that bit of info. Quite enlightening :slight_smile:

Ahhhhh @Scottishfunk that brings back a funny memory…

I went to Newcastle (with my friend who’s family lived up there as a teen) into a bakery and asked for a muffin…

Let’s just say it took a while.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I used to wonder about sneakers ( training shoes) , then I realised you can seek up on someone in soft soled shoes.

Another is trunk of a car , we use " Boot"

Some Scottish words have travelled. I think you may use " poke" as a word for a small paper bag. We do in Scotland. It obviously has sexual connotations as well.:joy:

1 Like

ROFL You kinda lost me by asking me to name a “bread roll” :rofl:

In supermarkets it makes me laugh when bread rolls are sometimes labelled " large baps"

For the benefit of those in the US, baps can be used as a term for boobs.

What are “PE shoes” in the UK.

Training shoes

The first time I went into a cafe outside of where I live and asked for a bacon sandwich on a teacake. They said " you like currents in a bacon sandwich" I said, “no” they said “but you asked for in on a teacake, they have currents in them” I said, “no they don’t that’s a current teacake”. They looked bemused. Apparently where I live is the only place you can buy a teacake without currents. It’s not a bread roll, or a bap.

1 Like

@Iwill LOL so actually receiving baps at the supermarket would be quite awkward… :slight_smile:

@anon8189768 PE, it stands for physical education

We have so many names for bread rolls.
Rolls, cobs, baps, burger buns( being a soft variety)

Another term we need to be careful with is " bitch". It can be used in the UK as someone being " catty" or nasty. Even in a mock scolding manner when a woman says something sarcastic " you cheeky bitch"
In the US it is a much more serious term. As in " son of a bitch" I think meaning son of a whore.?

Oh, I think US & UK have the same PE term then. I thought PE shoes were something that gave me away as US

We call them plimsoles…(PE shoes that is)

2 Likes

Ah OK. Thanks for clarifying :slight_smile: