How can you afford to live alone?!

^If you are in the UK you can definitely live alone if you are disabled. Depending on your needs and what you would prefer, you could live in supported accomodation, rent from the council/housing association (you could have an extremely long wait, maybe 5-10 years plus, though) or rent in the private sector. You'll be entitled to the one bedroom rate of local housing allowance (housing benefit) if you get the middle or high rate of the care component of DLA. ESA will pay for food, bills etc and you can have a social care assessment to make sure you get your needs met (carers etc). Finding a landlord who accepts housing benefit is the hardest part. If this is something you are seriously considering, speak to your social worker or doctor. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

I guess the question is why live in an expensive area? Are you committed to a job where you currently live or are you sticking in the place where you are a student just because you are there?

I made a decision when I graduated (a LOT of years ago now) to move to the North of England - partially because I had a Ph.D. lined up here but also because, even back then, the South felt like a rat-race I didn't want to be a part of. My two children have both returned north after Uni and they are both doing way better in terms of quality of accommodation and quality of life than those of their contemporaries that have stayed down south after graduation.

I don't want the place spoiled by a big influx from down there - if a southerner wants to believe it's all flat-hats, whippets, pigeon racing and mushy peas up here I'm only too happy to confirm their beliefs.

We've been to view our first property and the only thing that is putting me off is parking (we'll need to buy permits) and that it is a little far from work (I wouldn't feel comfortable walking to work from that area). The crime rates are a bit high but they don't bother me too much, my OH and I can look after ourselves. We don't want to jump at the first place we've found (though it's an excellent price for a two bed flat!) so we're going to keep looking :)

I would certainly hope that a flat without parking that's likely to get burglared won't cost a lot of rent!

Personally I think that "looking after oneself" is pretty hopeless when faced with a determined criminal, so I'd dig deeper what is meant by "crime rate": Gang warfare, drug dealing, purse snatching or burglars climbing through open windows or coming in through open front doors?

If it's too far to walk to work (hell, I've never lived in a place where that was even a remote possibility!) you could always take a bicycle - if you can leave it locked to a fence post without it disappearing over night (or have room in the flat for it).

But the nice thing about renting is that it's not a decision for forever - you can always find a new place if you are unhappy with the current one (or do you have very long contracts?)

The crime rate in the whole of our city is worse than the national average, so to be honest whereever we go we're going to be at risk. That's a good idea though Talia, to look at the crime rate a bit deeper. I'll do that! I suppose I just don't want us to jump at the first place we've viewed just in case it turns out to be not what we thought.

As a single person private rent is your only option. We are a couple I have a health condition, hubby works full time for in wage and we have a son. We applied to council and housing associations and told we would be unlikely to ever get a house with them as we are considered low needs! We have had to rely on housing benefit for a short period when hubby was made redundant but it doesn't cover the full rent as each council sets a maximum rate so it's worth checking what yours is and try to find accommodation in that price range just in case you find yourself out of work. I am also aware of the changes meaning those under 35 now get less housing benefit and am also aware it's set to go lower in a few years time. One of the housing associations in our area has a subsidiary company which they rent houses out privately, we chose this as the fees were much lower and the tenancy is much more like a housing association we also benefit from the housing associations workmen if repairs are needed. We still pay a high private rate but we do have more tenancy security and the right to buy after four years. Recently they also started renting out flat shares for health care staff near a local hospital, only two in each flat with full en suites to each room, which I imagine makes sharing easier, still private rent cost but also included all bills and was actually very reasonable. Might be worth seeing if other housing associations have a similar thing. I also recently heard of something called care and share which is a scheme where you rent a room in a home at a very low cost in return for a few hours chores which may be in the form of housework, meal prep or companionship. I think it sounds like an amazing scheme for both parties. Apologies for the mammoth post!

Anyone know how easy it is to change gas/electricity supplier in a private rent place? And is it worth it if you're saving more money or is it just a load of hassle? Your thoughts?

I have done it a few times and usually use one of the comparison sites such as u switch. Done online with little hassle. Have changed suppliers with both standard meters and prepayment meters. Would be worth checking your tenancy though as I do recall not being able to change supplier with one landlord, am not sure he really had a legal right to stop me though.

Thanks Luscious Libby, when we sign the tenancy agreement I'll be sure to ask if we're allowed to switch suppliers. Good idea using the u switch website! *makes mental note*

Your welcome, enjoy your new home 😀