How to walk in heels

Hi everyone, this is probably a completely random topic but i could use some advice. I’m naturally clumsy with bad coordination and in a (probably misguided) attempt to feel pretty i have bought some new heels.

How do you actually walk in heels? I do have some but they’re lower than these (plus these may be platforms) and my sister always says i walk wrong in them anyway

3 Likes

I try not to think about it and just aim for the heel to touch down first sorry i’m not much help. Practice also helps a lot.

It’s ok, any advice is helpful. Genuinely the only ‘advice’ i ever had before was Bart in the Simpsons :joy:

3 Likes

This has a lot of good advice…

For me, I used to be pretty adept in heels. Up to 5.5" almost stilettos were no problem for an entire night clubbing and dancing (…provided the right pair, some that can look so similar in style can be totally different in how they wear so you’ve got to find some that work for you!) I also, often find I have to go up at least half a size in heels from what I wear in trainers or flat boots.

Having said that, I then broke my leg very badly, knee cap in 5 pieces and snapped heel bone (not a heels related incident I hasten to add! :rofl:) and I now can’t lock out my left leg out properly in significant heels. I have some Hades and New Rock in about a 6.5" heel and look like Bambi on ice in them - it’s so sad seeing them not worn! :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I don’t wear them out these days - they are more for bedroom antics now.

I always thought the trick was to keep your legs straight and basically strut - one foot directly in front of the other. Bending your knees while walking can make it look like you’re trying to get up invisible stairs :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Mrs S recently bought some from a charity shop just for photos to upload here. This sounds a very good use of them to me. :high_heel:

1 Like

Carefully! My OH has some especially for the bedroom it would be virtually impossible to wear them in the street!

3 Likes

To be fair it sounds like most people have the same idea as me haha. I mostly got these to wear inside with things like my basques

6 Likes

With practice, and only on even ground when sober…

If your new heels are the ones you have posted pics of, then I think they look great. The fact that they are broader at the heel will give you more stability and the fact that they are not stilettoes will give you a broader base on which to stand and walk.

I think they look great!

I went clubbing in high stilettoes on my 30th birthday - now a distant memory but my friend had the same pair in a different colour. We both ended up taking them off and dancing in bare feet.

I’ll see if I can dig them out for some photos - heels do look good in photos (as well as in the bedroom).

I watch people like Melania Trump and wonder how they manage walking in 6" stilettoes, on grass towards the waiting helicopter. I would sink into the soil.

Boots - they are the answer! All sorts of styles…

3 Likes

Agree with you there, boots are my go to virtually constantly. And yeah i was glad when i realised they had a wider heel so i can actually balance (the ones i mean are the ones in the picture yeah, i bought them on ebay a few days ago as a late night impulse). I’m practising a bit, i wore them going to and from the kitchen in my flat earlier while i was making tea. I always wonder about people wearing those heels too, i trip enough in flats :joy: I’m glad people think they look nice anyway

3 Likes

Shoes with heels do look good - that’s why we put up with them! Yours are lovely and have a vintage look.
But, boots - yes - my staple footwear unless I can’t avoid it (like in July / August) - then it is ballet pumps. Love the look of heels but not good at actually walking in them.
I live in knee high black leather boots - with a tread for icy weather, and also have a fab pair of leopard print suede with kitten heel. And who can be without snake print ankle boots?

Take care x

4 Likes

I love my Dr Martens :heart:

5 Likes

I have some too, i inherited them from my brother (he bought the wrong size so never wore them). They’re a bit big but nothing fluffy socks can’t fix. I’ve also got fancyish everyday ones and some steel-toed, steel-soled ones (my mum’s before she got a new job)

2 Likes

I’ve recently started buying shoes from women’s +size shops like Yours and Evans. Partly because I like pretty footwear but also cos I find that men’s shoes make my size 10 feet look even bigger and clunkier than they are, which I HATE. I’ve only got one pair of boots with a heel - a mere 3 inches (I know, girls… pathetic!) - but being 6ft 2" and having a dodgy left knee, that’s quite enough to be going on with, especially when walking downstairs!

When I started looking for women’s shoes in my size online, I found that the only types I could find were those aimed at the trans/CD/drag market, which tend to be either ultra-feminine or deliberately fetishistic - not me at all. Yours and Evans have been an absolute lifeline for me because they sell nice, fashionable styles any girl (or boy) could wear - and they taught me an interesting lesson. As I said, I’m a men’s size 10. When I tried shoes on in these +size shops, I was astonished to find that I could comfortably wear a size 9! :astonished:

I asked how this could be possible, and (as they had no other customers in) the nice lady in Yours explained. “It’s a marketing trick,” she said. “No woman likes to be told she’s got size 10 feet, so all the sizes are labelled a size smaller than they actually are.” :slightly_smiling_face:

I haven’t worn my 3" heels outdoors yet, but often if I’m feeling down, I’ll put them on and strut around like a catwalk model. It makes me feel like I own the world! :rofl: :heart:

4 Likes

Hey Ace
I saw your photo and was about to ask the same! Heels have been a revelation for me, but nothing as high as those. I love rocking back and putting all my weight over the heel when standing still but my daughter catwalked for a while and recommended the one foot in front of another strutt, so that’s my go to. Apparently it looks good from behind too! :slight_smile:

oh, and those are killer heels you posted there earlier

4 Likes

@Melody1 - any chance we can have a close-up shot of the shoes you’re wearing in your latest lingerie shoot? Pretty please? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have bought so many beautiful pairs of heels looking for that elusive ‘comfy’ pair that I can actually walk in… Not found them yet so still look like bambi when I’m walking in them, but wiht added “ouch” since they rub so much!

3 Likes

@PleasureDrone I thought I better put Widerfitshoes on your radar in case they’re of use to you too - lots more wide variety.

I’ve got chunky little feet and I am forever drooling over their stuff. Honestly if I were rich I’d have bought half of their stuff by now :joy:

2 Likes