Ideas on a booooook.

Good evening ladies, gentlemen and Mr Ork.

I read a post on here a few days ago about someone writing a book ( totally forgot what the thread was had a wee hunt n couldnt find it)

Now i know mr ork was talking about writting a wee ork adventure book, and ive been having ideas recently about starting up a book.

I've always had a very creative mind, going over scenarios in my head and playing a lot of "what would happen if" type stuff in my mind.

Problem is, with my Dyslexia i find it hard to write these ideas down as i get realy put off with my spelling being wrong all the time and just give up. But well, im having a shite time at the moment and need to do somthing to get my mind off it (other than uni work?)

So Im kinda hoping there are some more "book literate" people here that would be able to tell me if any of my ideas seem appealing for you to read about?

ive got 2 ideas, one was a book i started at school which is more si-fi/war think starship troopers meets halo :P

The other is actually a more personal story about a man who is trying to find out who he is, wakes up in a hosptial with no memory, no possesions and the only thing the doctors know is that he was a failed suicide attempt

The last one is actually somthing that ive thought about, what if you tried, failed, but lost your memories? would you be haunted by the fact u had a shit life, would you want to start again or find out more... dun dun dun... see good book material right?

Critisim is welcome aslong as it isnt " sounds wank"

flick through the man who mistook his wife for a hat by oliver sacks. could give you some inspiration for the second idea :P

I'm not into sci-fi but I do like the 2nd idea. My BA was English with Creative Writing and I'm trying to get back into writing myself after not doing much for the past six months or so so I'd be happy to help out if needed.

If you have a good spellchecker and dictionary that should help with the spelling but if you are writing for yourself I don't think you need to worry too much at this point. Of course you'd need to deal with spelling if you are aiming to publish, but you could look into that when you're editing and polishing. For now, I'd say get the story down.

I like the story about a man who is trying to find out who he is, wakes up in a hosptial with no memory, no possesions and the only thing the doctors know is that he was a failed suicide attempt.

How about something along the lines of he tried to kill himself cos his wife said she'd had enough of their boring sex life and had found a more virile lover....but deep down she still loves him and is devasted when he attempts to kill himself. When he is saved by the doctors, his wife visits him in hospital and is told he may not recognise her or have any idea who she is. She then gets the idea to try and have another go in their relationship, but with one major change....their sexlife. She tells her husband he was a great lover and they had a fab sex life (a white lie). The book could then describe how their sexlife evolves through many adventures together (the wife just loves sex, using toys, bondage etc etc). Everything is going great...incredible sexlife that wife longed for....and so did husband deep down but he had a terrible childhood that stopped him letting go. These terrible childhood memories were also lost in the attempted suicide. however you can twist the book around....the memories come back a bit at a time.....Will the relationship go back to being what it was before? Or will the new found sexual freedom help husband?

Ork wrote:

Ah dyslexias a bitch, they told me I had it or rather some of them did some of them didn't and the college finally told me two years ago they thought I was dyspraxic or something (no idea what it means if I'm honest)

Hey Ork

I have dypraxia :( In my case the biggest problem is an issue with motor control, for example I have big problems in sports and terrible handwriting which I think gets worse! They told me I might never be able to ride a bike. I did, just to prove them wrong, but it wasn't easy. I think it's one of the reasons I ultimately had to give up on driving lessons.

It's related to spatial awareness, which is a problem with me (especially with the driving) and I think it explains why I constantly get lost.

Check out the Wiki page. I know you can't always trust Wiki but as I look it over, I find a LOT of things that apply to me. It's actually scary because most things on that page apply to me and especially things I have difficulty with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyspraxia#Overlap_with_other_conditions

The worst thing is that all these diffifculties have given me massive confidence problems to make things worse...

Anyway. sorry for rambling and I hope I helped.

Cat Lady wrote:

Ork wrote:

Ah dyslexias a bitch, they told me I had it or rather some of them did some of them didn't and the college finally told me two years ago they thought I was dyspraxic or something (no idea what it means if I'm honest)

Hey Ork

I have dypraxia :( In my case the biggest problem is an issue with motor control, for example I have big problems in sports and terrible handwriting which I think gets worse! They told me I might never be able to ride a bike. I did, just to prove them wrong, but it wasn't easy. I think it's one of the reasons I ultimately had to give up on driving lessons.

It's related to spatial awareness, which is a problem with me (especially with the driving) and I think it explains why I constantly get lost.

Check out the Wiki page. I know you can't always trust Wiki but as I look it over, I find a LOT of things that apply to me. It's actually scary because most things on that page apply to me and especially things I have difficulty with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyspraxia#Overlap_with_other_conditions

The worst thing is that all these diffifculties have given me massive confidence problems to make things worse...

Anyway. sorry for rambling and I hope I helped.

i have dyspraxia as well, it sucks as so many people have no idea what it was. in fact my ex boss believes its the same as autism. inm the end i lost that job, as they used it to get rid of me when i was signed off with stress, and said i couldnt cope

That's disgraceful. Surely you'd have had a case for unfair dismissal? I agree that most people don't know about it so they don't realise the difficulties people like us face, because it's not "serious" enough to be a big deal, like some things...

And sorry, WeeSteeve for hijacking your thread. I posted all the stuff above because I didn't want Ork to feel he's alone with his condition.

Cat Lady wrote:

That's disgraceful. Surely you'd have had a case for unfair dismissal? I agree that most people don't know about it so they don't realise the difficulties people like us face, because it's not "serious" enough to be a big deal, like some things...

And sorry, WeeSteeve for hijacking your thread. I posted all the stuff above because I didn't want Ork to feel he's alone with his condition.

in the end i settled for a good referance at appeal in exchange for not contacting the press. worked there 5 years and havent found a job since. (9 months ago) was one of the largest companys in the UK so havent a leg to stand on really

Weesteve, if you want anyone to beta read your story for you when youv'e written a bit, id love too :)

fistinglover69 wrote:

flick through the man who mistook his wife for a hat by oliver sacks. could give you some inspiration for the second idea :P

Looks excellent! Another one on the Amazon wishlist :)

I like the second book idea, sounds more interesting to me :)

Love the 2nd idea. But with sci -fi you can explore more and let your mind wander.

Good luck WeeSteve and you could have someone proof read the book if you wanted.