Input greatly appreciated

Hey Guys,

Disclaimer, this is a long and rather personal problem, and I'm asking here because I know I can trust this community for no-nonsense advice.

I was perscribed anti depressants fairly recently, and while they have helped with my insomnia they've done precious little else. My friend was over the moon when he discovered I was taking them as he knew I was having a rough time and expected good results.

Now I'm stuck taking medication that does nothing for what it was primarily intended to solve that have made me gain a metric hellaton of weight. I've gone from 115b to 140lb and I hate it. Increasing exercise isn't helping. I've had self confidence issues with my body for as long as I can remember now (at some points, borderline anorexia.) I am too embarassed to go out with friends, whenever I have to leave the house it's always in a drowning hoodie. I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror.

Previously mentioned friend insists I'm still slim and healthy and while logically I know he's right all I see in the mirror is a blob of fat. I've told him this, and I've told him that if the pills aren't even going to help with the depression and make me hate myself this much in the process I want off them. Now he's so angry at me and I don't know what to do. He insists he's seen them help me, but honestly I feel worse than I did before. Plus, any mention of a diet and he's quick to jump on the 'you used to be too skinny' arguement. He insists I hated my body before anyway so what's the difference, which is painful to hear but true.

Side note: the longer I take them, the worse withdrawl symptoms will be.

So... do I keep taking them? Or not?

Shadow collector I'm sorry you are feeling this way. The weight you have given as your current weight is not bad at all. It sounds like your friend does have your best interests at heart, but still no reason to kick off at you. I certainly wouldn't stop taking the anti-depressants, but I would certainly go to the doctor and discuss the fact they aren't helping much. You may need a course of therapy too. I have been told many times that you should never suddenly stop taking anti-depressants as this can cause more harm. Sending hugs to you, sorry I can't be more helpful. x

How long have you been taking them? Perhaps go back to the doctor and say that they arent working, I know that there are many different types of tablets. Sometimes it just about finding the right one for you!

Go to your docotor and aks to switch meds, there are many to choose from and if this one isnt working another might, plus not all of them have this side effect. That way you can hopefully find something that does really help your depression. Also your friend obviously cares, but at the end of the day meds are personal and he sounds like he is being very pushy.

Hope you find a soloution. ![](upload://4WyQT1gwKaQJNwhYxrKZ1rOPglF.gif)

Shadow - you may be on the WRONG type of depression meds. It took a person close in my life 3 different meds before they got the relief they were seeking. So my 2 cents is to talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. And dont hold back, that you feel the meds have helped with insomnia, but the weight gain is troublesome, etc.

DO NOT just stop taking medications without talking to your doctor please.

Next, tell your friend you are going to talk to the doctor. While this person's support here is great and I aglad to see people in your life supporting you. they are not a doctor.

Tell them you appreciate thier love and concern for you but you will decide with the doctor next steps and you hope they will support your decision.

Weight gain sucks. I can see why it bothers you. I do think you want to work on loving yourself but if you are not comofrtable at the higher weight that a solid reason to talk to the doctor ASAP.

(Hugs)

I'm taking anti depressants at the moment ( I have had bouts of depression in the past too ) please do not stop these without consulting your GP.

You may not feel better in yourself but often others who are close to us can see improvement where we can't. Your friend clearly cares and is doing his very best to let you know this.....it's difficult to help someone who feels very down in themselves. Talk to your GP and explain that you're worried about your weight gain, maybe your meds could be changed to something else. It's not good people telling you it dosent matter.....it obviously matters to you and you're the one feeling awful about it.

I hope you get some sympathy from your GP , you certainly have mine, and he can see how unhappy this is making you but please, please, don't just stop your meds without seeing him first.

Sending big hugs xx

Going to go out on a limb and say he's seen them help you because he wants to, since from what I remember you saying a while ago he was the one who pushed you into them.

It's your mind and your body, you know yourself better than anyone. I wouldn't advise stopping without talking to your doctor but it sounds like you need to be switched to another antidepressant to manage side effects. I wouldn't go off pills altogether if they've helped with insomnia as that's great, but it is always important to find one where the pros outweigh the cons. If you are so bothered by the weight gain that it's making you feel worse, then that isn't happening with this pill. You can get ones that don't cause weight gain, just as you get ones which are more likely to cause weight gain, since weight is such a central issue for you it would be well worth finding one that doesn't affect it as it's just going to set you back. Saying you didn't like your body before so it doesn't matter anyway is so harsh and dismissive, the change in your body with these pills clearly does matter to you and should be taken into consideration as it's ultimately affecting your recovery, it's not silly to feel the way you do and it's a concern doctors deal with all the time so it IS something to be taken seriously.

Are you recieving any form of talking therapy? Ultimately the pills alone will never make you happy, they'll put you on an even keel which will help with therapy but won't make the problem go away on their own. I'm preaching to the choir here I'm sure but it could be worth reminding your friend this, while he does seem to be trying to be supportive he needs to listen to you not expect a pill to fix you. Getting angry at you definitely isn't helpful! There are so many different antidepressants out there, what are the chances that you're going to find the right one for you right away? It's part of the process to need to reassess whether or not a pill is working for you and change it if needs be, if he doesn't understand this then he needs to do a bit more research before getting angry with you when you're doing nothing wrong :/

TLDR no, don't stop taking them without consulting your doctor first, but definitely go back to the doctor and see about trying something else.

Never stop aking a medication without meeting your doctor first. SOme antidepressants cause a gain a weight which is normal, and some don't, so maybe the key will only be to try another type of med. Good luck with that.

It's all about how you feel. I took anti depressants for less than a week before realising they made me feel like crap. My mum was her typical self trying to control, making it sound like she cared but really just satisfying her need for gossip.

Honestly you need to do what you need to do, not what your friend thinks you should do, you know yourself better than anyone, you know how you feel and you know whether you feel better than before. He may notice you don't cry as much or complain less or whatever, but that doesn't mean you actually feel better, antidepressants just hide your depression.

Do whatever you think is best. Personally I would ditch the drugs and get to the gym, you'll lose weight super fast with excersise and coming off them which will boost your self esteem and excersise releases endorphins which combats depression.

Good luck, and remember you're the only person who knows your mind, even if sometimes it feels like you and your mind aren't on the same team.

Even after beating depression I still feel like me and my brain are different "people" it's really the main reason I believe in spirits, because I feel like I can identify which part of me is my spirit and which part is my brain... my brain is an ass BTW lol

See the doctor again huni..those are not the right ones for you..it may take awhile before you find the ones that suit..but don't stick to them because of your bullying friend..yes I know he has your best interests at heart but poo pooing the way you feel doesn't help you at all and he isn't a doctor. So go back talk to the doctor and see where to go from there...don't stop taking them without seeing him..xxx take care xx

Go back and discuss things with your doctor Shadow. If this is the first medication you have taken, it may be that they don't suit. Different drugs have different effects on people. Your doctor should be aware of that and will probably prescribe an alternative. May take time to find something which will work for you. You'll just have to persevere. I wouldn't say 140 lb is excessive so please don't let it get you down. You are young and at present, are putting yourself under pressure at Uni. Stick with it young lady . Your friend obviously cares about you but should take a wee step back and let you deal with it in your own way. Good luck. X

I used to know someone that struggled for years with depression that lead to other issues or at least compounded issues she had and made those worse.
The medications for depression used to take a period time to start to see any results and a similar period of time to exit your system before you could change to a different type.
I would definitely go to see your doctor and discus how you feeling,talk about different types of medication but also different types of help you can try.medication is something but councillors can help,meditation and yoga have positive benefits.
Big hugs and support

Thank you everyone.

General consensus seems to be go talk to my doctor, so I'll do just that on Monday if possible.

You guys are always there with sound, judgement free advice. It really does mean a lot.

Each and every one of you is getting virtual hugs and sugar cookies sent your way :)

Virtual hugs and sugar cookies just made my day 😊

I'm a wee bit late here, but glad to hear you're going to head back the surgery. I wonder how long have you been taking the meditation? Most of them take quite some time to start working. The fAct that they're helping with insomnia is huge plus point to the meditation you're on currently. I do think theres a chance theyll prescribe you another anto depressant couse with the possibility of keeping what you have right now to help you sleeping peoblens you're expeincing. Either that or they may say you need to give them a chance/up your dose. No matter what, please don't loose site of how amazingly well you're doing. Thinking of you, sending you positive vibes and hope to here things want well at the drs 😗💜xxx

Shadow Collector wrote:

Thank you everyone.

General consensus seems to be go talk to my doctor, so I'll do just that on Monday if possible.

You guys are always there with sound, judgement free advice. It really does mean a lot.

Each and every one of you is getting virtual hugs and sugar cookies sent your way :)

Sorry I was a bit late to respond shadow but yes Definately see Dr before changing things yourself. Explain how you feel, and the effects the medicine is having on you, and make sure the Dr understands that they are making you more problems, than they are solving.

I honestly think your friend has your best interests at heart, but they may not have experienced problems similar to yours (some of us have) so they are trying to help but struggling to know how.

We are here for you Shadow, stay posative, remember there new be a big hill I front of you, but take a moment to turn round and look how far you have come!

I do agree with the others about going to the docs, as there are many years of tablets to help, and it's about finding the right one. These tablets usually work by creating a plateau off which you bounce, so they need a few weeks before you feel their real benefit.
I always think that when the side effects of tablets become more problematic than the reason you're taking the tablet it's time to reconsider. Cold turkey isn't always the best way though - slow withdrawal is usually better.
Willing to share which tabs you're on?

Sum Sub wrote:

I do agree with the others about going to the docs, as there are many years of tablets to help, and it's about finding the right one. These tablets usually work by creating a plateau off which you bounce, so they need a few weeks before you feel their real benefit.
I always think that when the side effects of tablets become more problematic than the reason you're taking the tablet it's time to reconsider. Cold turkey isn't always the best way though - slow withdrawal is usually better.
Willing to share which tabs you're on?

What he said. I was in a similar situation many years ago.

Go back to your docs hun don't suffer .x