Whirlwind with medication

Looking for some advice really as my heads in a whirlwind at the minute.

I’ve been on anti depressants for at least the past 14 years, they made it manageable to a certain extent but then there were years where I would be off work for month and months as my body would build a tolerance to the medication. They’d increase the dose but then the side effects would become worse leading them to be changed.

Recently I’ve had a lot on my mind, my mum is still in hospital after having an operation On a brain tumour (she’ll be ok), drs took me off 100mg of nortriptyline and onto 15mg mirtazapine and two weeks after that they’ve taken me off all my medication with no slow decrease.

My body wakes me up early hours of the morning to use the bathroom, I’m somewhat nauseous with a lack of appetite and I’m starting to struggle to even get out of bed. The only thing that is keeping me going is my legal prescription for medicinal cannabis but I don’t know how long it’s going to take for the medication to come out my system, just needed a bit of a rant really.

I bet its hard for you… Good luck and we’ll be routing for you… I’m guessing it will take a while for it to get out your system

1 Like

No, unfortunately it didn’t which was a shame as the time it did work for me I managed to gain almost 2 stone and I needed it!

Yes I hadn’t thought about ringing the pharmacy, certainly not in the right mind frame today.

Nausea and lack of appetite like that can be from slight acid reflux, if it is it can be helped by getting a low dose of a PPI like lansoprazole prescribed.

I second when you feel upto it to call the pharmacy theyll be able to better advise you on the timeframe for it leaving your system. From when i was on anti depressants (not the same as yours) it took around 2 weeks to fully leave my system so I had no more side effects. But a pharmacist will be able to advise for the specific medication(s) you were on.

Holy cows!! I’d be right back at the doctors questioning this choice in making you go cold turkey and even call 911 to see a doctor at the local hospital to get a second opinion and maybe put you on a lowered dose of what you were on as I’m sure you know already, no antidepressant if on a high dose should be stopped just like that as can be dangerous and for your doctor to have done that is bad medical practice what could need reporting :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I nearly had a similar thing with mine early this year when I lowered my meds and the random doctor was gonna just cut me from 100mg to 25mg and I told them right there no and had they bothered to check what I was on and they quickly changed their mind to lowering me to 50mg instead…

Wow! I can’t believe they took you off everything so quickly! Usually doses are changed very slowly especially if you’ve been on medication for a while. Unless you had very severe side effects of course. I would go back to the doctors and ask them to explain their decision and come up with a treatment plan. I would also suggest asking for a referral to a psychiatrist if you aren’t already seeing one. The symptoms that you describe are common withdrawal symptoms that should ease within a few weeks but, unless there was a very good reason, your dose would have been better reduced gradually to reduce the side effects! I hope you get this sorted soon x