Is donating sperm wrong?

I have been thinking about this for a while. What do you think??

since they changed the law i am surprised anyone does it

Not wrong at all, if it means it helps others to conceive that can not do it naturally, then so be it.

Although, donating via a route that isn't with a government funded organisation is a cause for concern.

Something I would have done years ago but not now.

I agree Hella, however slightly different scenarios i.e. Having sex and not wrapping it against donating to a couple where the male is infertile/lesbian couple

I don't think it's wrong to donate sperm but I wouldn't want my boyfriend to do it. I want to be the only mother of his babies lol

I agree Hella, I think egg and sperm donation is something really positive and can help lots of couples in different situations. That said, I don't think it would be for me...

i strongly believe that blood doesn't make you a parent, love does. So it wouldn't bother me if I didn't know by bio father, wish I didn't know him tbh lol

My biodad left us before I was born. I know I'm better off without him but I do get very curious about him sometimes. I think I might feel less like I was abandoned if he was a sperm donor instead because donors do what they do with the intention of creating a baby from it for a couple to raise. You're not just some unwanted mistake. I don't know though, I haven't really given much thought to the topic of sperm donation before.

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

Nope! I think sperm and egg donation is awesome.

The law change is regarding a child born of a doner is allowed knowledge as to who the doner is.

Frankly if you have sex as a man and don't collect your sperm on exit, you have technically just donated.

I think it was that the donor is the childs biological father and there was talk of maintenance etc, Certainly the child is allowed to trace the donor which may not be good for the donors family 20 yrs down the line.

I think donation is a great idea but not if you can have twenty 18 yr olds knocking on the marital homes door.

gunther wrote:

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

Nope! I think sperm and egg donation is awesome.

The law change is regarding a child born of a doner is allowed knowledge as to who the doner is.

Frankly if you have sex as a man and don't collect your sperm on exit, you have technically just donated.

I think it was that the donor is the childs biological father and there was talk of maintenance etc, Certainly the child is allowed to trace the donor which may not be good for the donors family 20 yrs down the line.

I think donation is a great idea but not if you can have twenty 18 yr olds knocking on the marital homes door.

Too true. I guess some partners would have hard time stomaching that. Or the kids, because they are likely to notice and it could cause them bit of shock? Potentially.

There are negative and positive sides to everything. At least if you knew who your donor was you could make sure you don't end up accidently dating your half-siblings in the future.

I think it's one of those questions where 'right' and 'wrong' simply don't come into it, it's all personal preference.

when the donors made their donation it was anonymous but the government moved the goal posts retrospectively, a donor is just that. The donation is to create life to help another couple it cannot be equated with unprotected sex which the legal system seems to want to do.

AliMc wrote:

There are negative and positive sides to everything. At least if you knew who your donor was you could make sure you don't end up accidently dating your half-siblings in the future.

That was the origin of the legislation i believe a half brother and sister met and were attracted to each other because they were so similar, later they found they had the same father.

difficult issue to resolve

gunther wrote:

there's never been talk of maintenence or support from a donor. Donors have no legal rights over the child

source: http://www.londonspermbank.com/index.html

to the OP if its something you feel like you would be happy doing then it may be worthwhile getting in touch with a liscenced donation centre so they can talk to you about it. they will be able to offer counselling and support better than we will.

sl666 the crux is they changed the law retrospctively, donors who donated thinking it was anonymous found it wasnt. who is to say what crazy idea will pass as law in the future, a single fertile man could (in theory at least) fertilise most of the female population of the world. If I donate a pair of shoes I am not responsible for a future broken leg, but when sex and children are involved everything changes!

gunther wrote:

sl666 the crux is they changed the law retrospctively, donors who donated thinking it was anonymous found it wasnt. who is to say what crazy idea will pass as law in the future, a single fertile man could (in theory at least) fertilise most of the female population of the world. If I donate a pair of shoes I am not responsible for a future broken leg, but when sex and children are involved everything changes!

that is wrong, people who donated before the law changed in 2005 are still anonomus. they have to apply to have their anonimity lifted/ removed. the law did not change anything retrospectivley ( as the law seldom acts retrospectivley)

http://www.hfea.gov.uk/1973.html has all the info

gunther wrote:

From what I can tell, I think it was to do with the child's rights more than the fathers. Besides, if you had donated sperm and had a child out there somewhere, isn't it something important that you should tell your partner anyway? The way I see it, If your child finds you and surprises your family, that's your own fault for not being honest with them in the first place.

Besides, if I found out my father had donated, and I had a half-sibling out there somewhere, I'd probably be just as curious to find them as they could be, so I guess it's about more than just the donor father and child?

sweetlove666 wrote:that is wrong, people who donated before the law changed in 2005 are still anonomus. they have to apply to have their anonimity lifted/ removed. the law did not change anything retrospectivley ( as the law seldom acts retrospectivley)

http://www.hfea.gov.uk/1973.html has all the info

so why have people stopped donating?