Issues with my lady parts. Advice Please!

That is great news @Sophie01 it would seem like you got to see a gp who actually cared and is looking for the best resolution,hope it all works out quickly :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@Sophie01 how are you feeling now hun

Still haven’t got things sorted but feeling alot better that I am now on the track to. x

3 Likes

Okay, I’m not one to usually reply to medical questions as seeing a doctor is always preferable, but -

I had these exact problems when I first started birth control. I originally had a Mirena coil (got thrush for the first time ever within 2 weeks), then a couple of implants and the mini pill. I saw a few doctors over the years who ignored my suggestion that the recurrent thrush, dryness and fissures were contraception related, but I JUST KNEW.

After NINE YEARS OF AGONY I came off hormonal contraception, I couldn’t live like that anymore and I could feel that that would help. Within a week there was a huge improvement, within a month it was almost perfect (apart from the pelvic infection I got from having a copper coil fitted so that had to come out too!) and now a couple of years on the change is incredible, I never thought I’d have a “normal” vulva/vagina again. Like before, I could tear and bleed just from sitting down too suddenly and it destroyed my mental health and sex life/confidence.

This is my personal experience. All hormonal contraception methods I used were progesterone only which I think was my problem as I also have PMDD which is thought to be triggered by a sensitivity to that naturally.

I just wanted to say, I feel you - this is not normal, you should not suffer like this. I’m not saying your problem is the same as mine but it’s SO similar I had to comment. Best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the insight and advice.

It’s really funny that you mention this as I was looking the other day to find out when I started the contraceptive pill (ordered mid Feb), and then looked at when I got a yeast infection for the first time (end of feb). I have been on the pill twice before, years ago for acne, and then a couple of years ago as a contraceptive. I had a feeling that the recurring thrush and the pill may have been connected as I was sure that I started them around a similar time that I got thrush for the first time. I also seem to get thrush every 4 week right before my period meaning that it may have something to do with my hormones and my period.

I’m so sorry that you had to deal with this for 9 years as I know exactly what your going through, and it sucks!

I think I may try stopping the pill after my next cycle and will give it a month or two to see if I get thrush again.

Thanks again for this, it’s really been helpful.

@Sophie01 I am really pleased the comments from @Spoonerism has made, may help your condition. Its certainly something you should look into. I bet its just difficult getting to see doctors etc t the moment. Good and don’t take no rubbish from the doctor.

1 Like

No worries, I couldn’t just not say anything!

My thrush flare ups were also the week before I would bleed, even when I had very sporadic periods/break through bleeding while I was on the mini pill/coil/implant. That coupled with what I now know is PMDD made me suicidal at times.

I would love to know how you get on actually, fingers crossed for you.

Also, pro tip, get some Cetraben (it’s an eczema cream) and use it to wash/shave with. No soaps ever. It helped me quite a lot when I was suffering and I still use it now.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’ll work for you but XPEL body care aqueous cream is also meant to be very good (it’s often recommended to chemotherapy patients, that’s how i heard of it) and it’s cheap (massive tub for 99p), I’m trying using it for shaving since my skin reacts to everything

2 Likes

Cetraben can be lethal though. It makes the bath/shower so incredibly slippery!!!

In terms of healing the skin, dont snigger, but don’t discount vaseline or similar. It isn’t just a cheap lubricant… it’s really fantastic to help skin rejuvenate. Doesn’t help with the core issue, but surely helps with the symptoms. Hydromol as an ointment goes one better.

1 Like

I don’t have that problem, you only need a tiny bit to wash a vulva?
Also I gave Cetraben as an example as it was recommended to me by three separate gynaecologists and I even had it on prescription at one point. Any aqueous cream will help though!

One of our kids had bad eczema, that was the only product we used to wash him when very young. We literally had to wash the bath after… :joy:

I’m sure if not used quite as liberally, the problem isn’t the same. Good stuff too.

Go to GP and ask for Gynodaktarin. Only thing that ever works for me.