Help with intimate health!!

Hi

I'm a trans man, and have identified as such for maybe three years or so. I haven't started my transition at all yet.

I've always had problems with vaginal health, which I now know comes from disdain toward myself and my body.

Lately I've been almost ridiculously itchy. Whether I'm shaved or have grown out a little bit, it makes no difference. I've washed in lukewarm bathwater with a freshly clean flannel and clean water (no soap) but it makes no difference.

A lot of the time the itching/pain/soreness/swelling is toward the front of my vagina, around and above the clit, other times it's surrounding my vaginal entrance or urethral entrance, or sometimes all at once.

As long as I can remember I've had small, mostly painless lumps and bumps on and inside my vagina. These are the areas that itch but not all of the time.

I've also had eczema all my life, and I have always used the same washing liquid which is the least bothersome on my skin.

I've also never been sexually active until my recent girlfriend, and all of my symptoms are the same as I've been dealing with all my life.

I'm terrified of going to see a doctor, and as it is it's bloody hard to get an appointment around here!

Does anyone have any experience with similar issues and could tell me how I can deal with it?

Thank you!

Hi Buckythirteen,

I've not experienced the exact same problem as you, but I have had something similar. I used to have a big problem with vaginal/vula irritation (itchy sore skin, that would sometimes get so bad that it would bleed, the doctor said the skin was ulcerated but I'm not sure what that means), and I was prone to bouts of thrush.

I did go to see the doctor several times, and they would prescribe thrush treatment and a topical steroid cream. This would fix it, but then I found the problem was return.

I made a series of lifestyle changes to combat it, and they really worked, I haven't had any issues at all for a good few years now. These changes were: no removing pubic hair (I used to shave and sometimes wax), washing only with aqueous cream, only wearing cotton underwear, no wearing tights or anything synthetic that's really tight on my crotch.

However, it sounds like you are already doing these things and are still having problems. I really suggest seeing a doctor. I know it's scary, but they will be able to prescribe you something that would help, or refer you to an expert. In the meantime you could get a cream with a small amount of steroid in it and some over the counter thrush treatment to rule that out.

Hope this is helpful, and that you feel better soon.

Honestly the best thing is to consult a doctor. If you don't mind me asking what is your discharge like regularly and does it change during these itchy spells? It sounds similar to thrush with the swelling and itching, I'd recommend not using a flannel as it can be harsh on the sensitive skin, best thing is your hand to gently rub the area (not the inside) you can get special shower gels to sooth your intimate areas, also get some natural unsweetened yogurt as the bacteria in this can help balance out your vaginal PH. Hope all gets sorted soon x

Oh, I forgot to mention two other changes relevant to Lovehoney user: I became very picky about lube, only using sliquid h20 or Lovehoney discover, and I threw away any sex toy made of porous materials (jelly, rubber etc) as these can harbor bacteria. I now only use sex toys made of glass, stainless steel, silicone and ABS plastic, because these materials are non porous and can be properly sterilized. It is possible you are having a reaction to a toxic sex toy if you use them.

I wrote a blog post about this once you might find helpful. It goes in to way more personal detail than I would write on the forum.

https://missjezebella.com/2017/05/28/six-ways-to-prevent-thrush/

I suffered similarly terribly for around years being prescribed various thrush treatments and steroid creams before finally being diagnosed with Erythrasma, a bacterial skin condition. It helped when I finally saw a doctor with a special interest in dermatology and what finally tipped her off was that the only cream that had given relief was a steroid cream comibned with 3 strong anti-biotic ingredients. I still had to go on a long course of oral antibiotics along with cream before it was managed.

It may not be that but I know the right word to the right person would have saved a lot of pain and discomfort so I couldn't not suggest it.

I know seeing Dr for something intimate like this is not pleasant at the best of times but being transferred must make it more difficult for you. I hope it doesn't cause you distress or dysmorphia but it will be worth it to get a solution and the doctor really is the only way, especially if you can this out thrush.

You have my deepest sympathy, I'm ouch just remembering!

I've always had regular, daily discharge and wear panty liners every day because it getting on my underwear makes me uncomfortable. It's always clear and when I have itchy bouts it's sometimes slightly yellow (think more off-white) but never smells any different.

The only sex toys we use regularly are a silicone dildo (bought from LH) and a love egg. We don't use lube as we don't need it, and I personally never have the business end of the dildo down there! We always clean them regularly with appropriate products.

Update! I've had a proper look and it seems as though I have skin tags just inside my vaginal opening, and I cant see further but it feels like theres many more! Googling it tells me that they can be caused by friction and tight underwear.

I suspect whats happened is a bout of thrush when I was much younger, causing me to itch in the place I can feel them now, creating a skin tag, and just consistent itching and scratching and creating more, on top of tight underwear!

I do understand however that it may very well also be HPV or polyps, so I'm calling the doctors on Tuesday.

Hope it goes well at the doctors, I think it's a good idea to get it checked out.
Looser underwear is definitely a good idea too, it is amazing what a difference wearing non tight non synthetic fabrics on your crotch can make. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Have you thought of going to a GUM clinic? They're usually walk-in, but they do have appointments available in some areas.

My local clinic is great - anything intimate gets sorted with them. They have more time and experience than your average GP.