Issues with my lady parts. Advice Please!

I’m really not having the best of luck with anything down there atm.

Firstly with my lady flower! I got thrush for the first time ever (I’m 19) 4 months ago, and since then it has been coming back every month right before my next period is due. Every time so far I have treated it with a pessary and itching cream and it seems to clear up, but them BOOM…3 weeks later its back AGAIN!! The itching is the worst part about it as it’s really uncomfortable and keeps me up at night. The discharge is annoying but goes away after a day or so of using the pessary. The only thing I can think of is that I restarted birth control after a year break around 3/4 months ago but can’t remember if I got my first round of thrush before or after staring this so not sure if that would be the cause.

Does anyone have advice. I know I can’t ask for medical advice, and any advice given will be taken with the knowledge that you guys aren’t health professionals, but just interested incase anyone has experiences any of these things before. thank you in advance!!!

The reason as to reoccurring Thrush is unknown, there a few factors than can cause it. Speaking to your Pharmacist, they should be able to offer you the best course of medication.

1 Like

This might sound stupid and simplistic but it might help with the itching a little. Be careful with what underwear you’re wearing most of the time, get proper cotton stuff if you can and if you’re sleeping in pants you may want to stop for a while. It won’t do much for the underlying cause but it might help at least a little

1 Like

The fissures sound horrendous. I’m surprised your GP isn’t taking this more seriously, given the potential for cross-infection.

Re. The recurring thrush: my late wife had a similar problem in the early months of our relationship. It turned out that she had an undetected chlamydia infection. We only found out when I caught it off her and got sick. Then it was off to the STD clinic for both of us (and her previous partner). Maybe worth you having a chlamydia test? It can lie dormant for years.

1 Like

Wow I’m sorry you are going through this :frowning:

I’ve never had thrush but do you put any soaps down there or sit in a bath with soap? This might be causing them. In every shower I get the shower head and spray it down there to make sure it’s clean. Also, are you wiping front to back or back to front? Wiping back to front might be causing this. Again, I’ve never had thrush so I’m not 100 percent on this.

The Fischer’s I have had. For me personally, butt plugs and stretching myself out slowly there has done amazing things. I don’t get them anymore because of butt plugs. It may sound weird and may sound it would make it worse but it worked for me.

Also, keep pushing your doctor or go to another doctor and keep pushing so you get a better diagnosis as this is not normal and it shouldn’t be the way you should live. I’m almost 20 and if this was happening to me, I’d be fighting to be taken more seriously.

2 Likes

I can’t really offer any advice but I do know exactly how you’re feeling because to an extent I’ve experienced both.
Obviously I’m a guy but a few years ago I had thrush and the itching drove me mad and it looked terrible when I looked at it, and I was so embarrassed to go to the Pharmacy to buy some cream but the girl on the counter put my mind at rest.
I don’t know about Fissures but at times I really suffer from Haemorrhoids and I can totally relate to the pain and bleeding. I’d been using Haemorrhoid cream for that as well and it used to clear up but only for a short amount of time, but now every night I just use moisturiser and that does definitely help.
I really hope you can get both of these issues sorted soon.

1 Like

Thankyou everyone for your replies and suggestions. I have a dr appointment tomorrow morning with my GP and I’m going to see what he says about everything. If he’s unsure or I still feel hesitant then I may go after to my local sexual health clinic as they have walk-ins for under 21’s on a Tuesday. Just wanna check for things such as Clamidiya, Syphilis, Herpes (don’t think I have any of those but better to be sure).

@Goth_Girl I currently use nothing down there apart from a very mild soap (from the pharmacy) and water to clean down their. I don’t use bath bombs or bubble bath anymore either. I’m also hoping the dr with prescribe something like that cream you mentioned to try as I have never been given anything for them before.

@DanceswithPenguins I’m going to ask the dr tomorrow and see what he suggests, I’ve only used pessaries and creams before to treat, although I know there are also antibiotic options which work for alot of people.

@Ace12345 on a day to day basic I wear cotton bikini style underwear, although I do wear panty liners everyday for discharge, so not sure if maybe that’s doing something not good.

@PleasureDrone Yeah i will probs go and get a test just to be sure, although I do one of those SH24 tests every month or so.

@sharbur I wipe both ways to be honest, either just my front area from the front, or just my back area from the back. Yeah I’m pretty surprised they haven’t taken things seriously, but when I go tomorrow if they try to tell me to change my f*cking diet again I am going to push for another option.

@Jimmy603 yeah it all really sucks, just hoping to get things fixed!

2 Likes

I cant give much advice but I used to get thrush like clockwork just before my period. My period seemed to flush it out. It did just seem to stop on its own but as far as I know there isn’t really any explanation as to why it happens on a cycle like this. I know a couple of others that have experienced it or still do.
In regards to the fissures, I occasionally get them. I just tend to up my fibre intake and eat more fruit etc to soften things up to allow it to heal. And plenty of water… I cant stress that one enough. As far as I’m aware it does usually happen due to dietary reasons and your stools being too hard.
If you are unsure though I would jeep pestering your GP. Its a pain I know but they are best suited to help.
Sorry I’ve been vague. I don’t want to give any medical advice if that makes sense so have just given you my opinion based on experience. I love being a women but sometimes it’s the worst! :neutral_face:

1 Like

If these are persistent, reoccurring problems, do speak to your doctor and push them to order tests to find the cause of the problem. Some doctors can be reluctant to order tests or keen to dismiss you without real answers. A lot of the symptoms I’ve been having for years, I now know are crohns related but it wasn’t until I ended up in hospital that anything was taken seriously.

1 Like

Of course no personal experience but I think the sexual health clinic is the best option. They will certainly be able to offer advice and will have come across everything. Probably more so than your doctor. I hope everything gets sorted soon.

1 Like

Not sure if this will help but about 3 years ago i was type 2 diabetic, overweight, high blood pressure etc… First i quit eating burgers, fries & no soft drinks what so ever. I started a regiment of 4 Metamucil capsules a day, 2 in am & 2 in pm. Also started apple cider vinegar regiment in capsule form taking same as the fiber caps. I beat type 2 diabetes plus i no longer have HBP. I average 20 to 30 miles a week on treadmill & i haven’t had so much as a cold for over 2 years. Not sure if any of this would help you but it changed my life

3 Likes

Wow I really feel for you having both issues at the same time!

I had a problem with recurring thrush after a course of meds so I know how frustrating it can be. I tried the tablets and pressaries and just when I thought it had cleared it came back again. I went to the Dr and was prescribed a long term course of medication. It was one every 72 hours (I think) for the first few and then went to weekly and then monthly and I did this for about six months. It was annoying but it did clear it.

That was about three years ago and with the exception of two reoccurrences (which went away after one treatment), I’ve been fine.

It feels like it’s never going to get better but hang in there because it really will x

2 Likes

Hi @Sophie01,

My wife & I have fewer issues with thrush now we’ve switched to Sliquid lubes (we use Sassy for just about everything).
Perhaps it was the Glycerin, perhaps it was another ingredient, and perhaps it‘s coincidence. Who knows?

She‘s also changed her diet a bit to cut down on Candida promoting foods, but again, we don‘t know for sure if there‘s a magic bullet there.

One piece of advice we both wish we‘d known earlier, is this:
The epithelium (layer between inside and outside the body) covers not only our whole body on the outside, it also lines the mouth, gut, colon, vagina, and so on. Each area has different pH and different microbes (some friendly, and some not) that form a sort of localised ecosystem, with a protective effect. And these are sensitive to changes in pH, salinity, and chemicals like soaps that strip dirt and oils away.

The vagina is self cleaning, they say. Even mild soap can weaken the body’s protective layer by changing things like pH, and the localised ecosystem of microbes. Plain water is generally all I’d recommend (or maybe even slightly saline water for bathing) for cleaning externally, while internal (vaginal) cleaning‘s really not recommended, because it‘s so easy to cause imbalances.

As to the other side of things: I was listening to a sex-positive podcast recently where they discussed recent studies on anal douching, which gave the conclusion that plain water (hypotonic) and strongly saline (hypertonic) douching both damage the epithelium. The implication was that folk have been causing themselves increased risk of harm (in the form of micro fissures) in their attempts to clean their rectums. Not that this is necessarily your situation. It’s just an example.
This finding has led to a new interest for isotonic douche solution. Specifically, this means 0.9% or 9 grams of salt per litre of water, to balance with the body’s own saline levels.

My point is that well meaning interventions like cleaning or lubing may introduce unintended risk of harm to our body‘s natural defences. In the case of douching, it appears to be safer not to clean than to clean incorrectly.

Make of this what you will. Each person has their own acceptable level of risk and need to feel clean. In your situation I’d personally push for all the best medical advice and treatments from the doctor, but do all I can at the same time to give my body the best chance to heal and bring things back into balance. Like drinking plenty of water, cleaning intimate areas gently, and sometimes, where it’s appropriate, leaving my body to do it‘s thing for a while without intervention.

Good luck. I hope you get better soon​:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Is it possibly an issue with the natural ( good bacteria) in your genital region.
I understand that natural yogurt can help get this balanced.
Also pro biotics can help as far as I know.
Just read this site, it may help…It could also be a pH balance thing.

3 Likes

We had issues with liquid silk and thrush ourselves.

Seemingly something to do with the glycol, and sugar, that may favorise the development of the thrush bacteria in people who are susceptible to it. We never had it before, but had it a few times, his and hers, always after using liquid silk.

We’re now using sliquid and never had that issue again.

3 Likes

Actually that would make a lot of sense. Bacteria/Yeasts often favour a process called glycolysis to get their energy, as they can use the waste products well and glycolysis uses glucose (and compounds they can convert into glucose)

2 Likes

@Kh1985 yeah mine seems to keep coming back just before my period, although it isn’t seem to flush it out and a pessary is needed.

@Queerantine I have found this with dr’s but have learnt that I need to be more stern with them to get what I want and what they should be giving me.

@steve19 yeah they deffo know alot more about this kinda stuff than GP’s.

@jeffsdaman67 that’s quite helpful actually, I may look into some probiotics or something.

@Lola-O Glad to hear I’m not the only one experience this annoying recurrent thrush, and good to see that their are solutions.

@Knottydevil I personally don’t use any lubes so don’t think it would be cause by anything ingredients wise, I also only use water to clean daily and a very gentle soap (from the pharmacy) to clean after sex, and no longer use products such as bubble bath or bath bombs.

@Iwill deffo want to look into some probiotics

@GoGirl12 thank you for all of the advice!

@JustAnotherPervert I personally don’t use lubes, but that’s for the heads up for future product purchases.

So I went to see the DR yesterday and was actually pretty impressed with his response. In regards to the Anal fissures he took a look and prescribed me a cream to use for the next 8 weeks to see if that clears them up. He said if that doesn’t work then he is going to refer me to an anal surgeon (although I would like to try and avoid that route so I hope the cream does it’s thing). I do want to look into some probiotics as recommended by some of you to see if that will help with digestion to prevent further tears.
In regards to the recurrent thrush he ordered me to have a round of bloods to check for diabetes and levels of sugar in my blood as apparently thrush can be a symptom of early diabetes. He also said that if that all comes back negative then next time I get thrush to go to the pharmacy and request an oral antibiotic instead of using the pessary as they apparently don’t clear up everything for everyone which can cause it so come back.

7 Likes

I’m thrilled you seem to have actually got somewhere this time. Good luck with it all!!

1 Like

Glad you had a Dr take you seriously and offer some actual solutions!

1 Like

It sounds like the GP has given you the time you deserve. It sounds like you have a plan now and hopefully things will work. Fingers crossed for you. @Sophie01

1 Like