IUD? Yay or Nay.

Really wanted to ask advice off the forum, I've been on and off Pills for years, first the combined one which I was taken off because of headaches, then the mini Pill but I was taken off that again after erratic periods and stuff. My doctor won't put me on anything with hormones which I think leaves condoms, (oh joy!) or something like the copper IUD. I wondered if anyone had any advice on it? I've heard some really scary things about it!

-Aud.

The copper coil is known for its 11 day periods. The Mirena can regulate periods, but the copper coil can make them longer and more painful.

I have considered the copper coil myself, as I am unhappy with hormonal contraception. But I have heavy periods already and the thought of them lasting any longer than they do already is quite horrendous. For me, I'm not sure if it is a risk worth taking.

The most common reason for copper IUD removal is period pain.

Has your doctor mentioned a contraceptive implant at all?? Although it contains hormones "Implanon" is a new brand and very good. Have a read and ask your doctor, is worth a go http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004325.html

I have the copper IUD as I couldnt get on with the mini pill. I have a 5-6 day period each month exactly the same day. Althought they are crampier, its only for up to 5 hours for the whole period. I it no worse than when I wasnt on the IUD.

I chose this because it didnt have any hormones and I can keep it in for 10 years.

One thing I would say is that it hurts like hell when it gets put in but 4 hours later I was fine.

I dont regret this choice and its perfect for me.

I think everyones different and different things effect people in different ways! I personally would not go for this option as it doesn't sound all that appealing! Have you tried different variations of the pill as i had to try many before i found one that suited me!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/contraceptivecoil.htm

Have a read of this.

Let me know if you need any advice as I have one.

And no more taking the pill! I hated this, every single day at the same time and I worried if I had missed one or took one late, Then you have to worry about condoms etc.

With the mini pill I was bleed like every 5 days or so for 2 days at a time. I hated it. I couldnt have it as it just ran my life.

Some women are fine with it, I wasnt.

Audrina wrote:

Really wanted to ask advice off the forum, I've been on and off Pills for years, first the combined one which I was taken off because of headaches, then the mini Pill but I was taken off that again after erratic periods and stuff. My doctor won't put me on anything with hormones which I think leaves condoms, (oh joy!) or something like the copper IUD. I wondered if anyone had any advice on it? I've heard some really scary things about it!

-Aud.

Hey I was wondering if you have thought about the patch... it is just I had problems with the pill and after years of headaches, stomach pain etc I suggested it to my doctor and all is going well. you change it once a week, and as it is external if you have any problems with it you can just take it off and it'll be out of your system quicker than the pill. I know it is does activly change your hormones but it is worth a try.

MM - what were your periods like before having the coil?

telemachus wrote:

MM - what were your periods like before having the coil?

They were roughly the same length. A little less crampy but not much. Usually I was:

Days:

1 Heavy

2 Heavy

3 Middle

4 Middle to light

5 Light

6 Very light if at all.

Now:

1 Light

2 Middle

3 Heavy

4 Heavy

5 Middle

6 Light

Do its changed the pattern but its not that heavy, for me anyway

I had similar issues with the pill, i was on microgynon and had severe headaches and constant nausea and pregnancy symptoms. Switched to Lazarette (not sure on spelling) and i wasnt happy on that either so recently switched to the patch and its fantastic! Maybe ask about that route first? x

I do agree that you should look around first and do your research as although the IUD is easily taken out it has to be done professionally and like I said it really hurts. Not the sort of thing you want to do too often.

*Feels sorry for the ladies*

*Shakes fist at Father Nature*

WandA wrote:

*Feels sorry for the ladies*

*Shakes fist at Father Nature*

Thanks Wanda, at least some men get it. You lot do seem to have it much easier.

I've got the mirena coil which i know contains hormones but i think it's marvellous.

Before it I had really severe period pain since the birth of second child. I now barely get any periods at all, and no pain. It last five years, and personally when i had it put it in it didnt cause me any problems at all. A bit like a slightly more painful smear.

Highly recommended by me :)

I wouldn't get it myself but luckily the mini pill seems to be working for me! i don't have periods really and as i'm not pregnant i'm guessing it's going well!

VW x

Vampyrewillow wrote:

I wouldn't get it myself but luckily the mini pill seems to be working for me! i don't have periods really and as i'm not pregnant i'm guessing it's going well!

VW x

Thats what I love about all the contraceptions avaliable, some work for others but not all and you can usually find one that works for you.

Yep its handy, i was on the combined pill at first but got switched because i smoke im overweight and mum had had a heart attack so i had all three risk factors,

i considered getting the injection because its a bit of a bummer taking a pill everyday but i figure if this is working so well so far whats the point changing, and i am loving not having periods!

VW x

Vampyrewillow wrote:

Yep its handy, i was on the combined pill at first but got switched because i smoke im overweight and mum had had a heart attack so i had all three risk factors,

i considered getting the injection because its a bit of a bummer taking a pill everyday but i figure if this is working so well so far whats the point changing, and i am loving not having periods!

VW x

Ohh wish I didnt have periods. The mini pill just didnt work for me. Unfortunatley because I was over weight they wouldnt let me have the combined pill.