IUS (Hormone Coil)

Hi, i need some help, i had a coil fitted yesterday the hormone realising one.

This is the first time i have had something like this, usually use pill but unfortunately can no longer.

Question is, im reading i need to check it, wasnt told this at the time, im kind of worried as im having cramping still, im worried to use toys/have sex.

How do i check? I’m worried about moving with fear of dislodging it.

I know sounds a bit odd but i didn’t ever want it but had no choice.

Any advise is really appreciated

1 Like

I only know a little from what I’ve read up on them when I was looking at options a few months ago so please seek professional advice in the morning!

I think, if it was fitted yesterday, still having cramps would probably be normal so I wouldn’t worry. I would phone your doctor tomorrow and ask about checking it and mention the cramping at the same time. I’m sure if they wanted you to check it, they would have told you.

Gggrrr! This makes me so annoyed. I know doctors need to make sure that we are safe but surely we should have some say over our own bodies? By all means give us the risks and benefits and advice but at the end of the day I feel it should be our choice to make.

I hope the cramps go away soon and it works well for you despite it not being what you wanted x

I couldn’t be on the pill any longer due to side effects and they wont allow me to have a hysterectomy so they said coil is only way for me to stop my periods, migraines, sickness etc.

I don’t use for contraception but i felt its the only option I have now so had no choice.

1 Like

I had a coil fitted 2 years ago. I have not been able to feel mine once. They told me to try and feel for the strings 6 weeks after insertion but I couldn’t feel out. Weeks past buy and then months and still nothing. I know it’s working because I haven’t got pregnant and my periods haven’t returned. I read that sometimes there cut to short or they curl so I think that’s what has happened to mine.

1 Like

I have this, also for period control rather than contraception.

I’ve had one for a few years and have never tried to feel for the thread and not had any issues. No periods which is bliss.

From memory, I was crampy for a few days but nothing really after that.

I hope it works out for you :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Its worrying me as im bigger so don’t want to pull, is the cramping normal that im feeling it? At first i could barely walk out the hospital and really eased but im worried about moving etc.

Is that normal?

1 Like

I had no choice becauee i can be on 37 days heavy period with not being able to leave hence why had pill.

But pill has caused weight gain, migraines, sickness and depression.

The nurse said this is so mcuh better as hormone is where needed rather than oraly though body.

Yes it’s normal to feel cramping the day after. Just carry on the best you can do and forget it’s there. Check it in 4 weeks time. Apparently there really hard to move. My doctor said no matter how rough the sex is or what toys you use it can’t be moved as it’s to high up.

Its the fact I know i have to check for the thread and it’s dangling down into the top of the vagina.

I can feel it, i read in the leaflet I was given in women my size it can be rejected which im worried about.

@MasterOfSexToys

I had one fitted for the same reason. Horrendous periods that lasted weeks and needing blood transfusions.

After my first one I had fitted it was crampy for about 3 days and I spotted daily for 12 months afterwards…then after the 12 months it stopped & I only had a very occasional show with slight period cramping and backache.

As regarding the “threads” I never checked them being honest but a few times my partner could “feel” them so after the 5 years was up during covid (another story for another day) and I had that one removed and another one fitted I mentioned this to the Doctor fitting it and the threads were cut shorter…not tried to feel them since being honest and my partner hasn’t felt them either.

Give it a chance to settle in but if the cramping gets worse or you start to bleed heavily give them a call and get it checked out in case it’s moved.

Good Luck

1 Like

I had mine taken out about 5 years ago after having one for 10 years, was hoping it would stop my periods but I was having a period every two weeks, although very light, ended up being sterilised. You have to feel for the strings, sometimes I had difficultly finding them, but did eventually, some cramping is normal to start with but will settle down. Good luck , hope it works well for you.x

1 Like

I had several Mirena coils and a bit of cramping after they were fitted is normal.
As for the threads, I was advised to check them once a month but I mostly couldn’t feel them. They apparently can get ‘curled up’ near the top. After a while I gave up trying to find them but it was for me an extremely successful form of contraception.

1 Like

That’s reassuring im feeling all sorts of emotions with it as i didnt want it im scared to do anything with it in.

Im suppose to have it for stopping them, pill worked great but side effects from it.

Saying that i had it tuesday morning, minor cramping but when i bend its intense. My emotions feel up and down.

I didn’t want it either…the thought of a foreign body I had no control over being inside my body…and actually knowing some women in the 70’s who had the horrific dalkon shield and the massive after effects of that both scared me terribly…

But it was try the coil or have a hysterectomy I couldn’t have the pill due to my age… so I had to try and forget it was there…so glad I persevered with it. Coils have come a long way since then…and although not suitable for everyone… after the first 12 months of settling in it has been great for me…no more periods no more pain.

Give it a chance but like I said earlier any severe pain and or bleeding…give them a ring and get yourself checked out.

Once again good luck.
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

I was on pill, but had to come off it, went on copper coil, that was horrendous, then went on mirena coil, but as said never stopped mine, just prolonged them only lighter, I do remember some cramping, and might just be your body adjusting to it. If it continues talk to your GP, hopefully put your mind at rest.xx

2 Likes

I had my first coil fitted last November.
For me personally it was the best thing I ever done. When I was on the pill, I had every side effects going, my depression got so bad I was getting close to do the worst thing imaginable.
Speaking to the doctor and nurse, we were going through all the other options available to me, and the best one was the coil. Now I am a totally different person to what I was.

For a couple days after I had cramps, and I’ve not had a period since. They told me if I experience any side effects of it moving or coming out to go straight back. I was told to refrain from inserting anything for 3 days incase of causing an infection.

Every body is different, and each body accepts things differently to another. I hope it works out for you. If you’re worried, ring the doctors and get yourself checked out.

3 Likes

Thankyou everyone, this is very reassuring.

The cramping has started to ease more, I’ve actually left home today since having it done and barely thought about it.

I will say craving’s are heightened, nurse said to carry pill on till end of strip which probably is adding to cravings.

2 Likes

UPDATE.

Im still in alot of pain, spoke to GP and they have refused to take it out or check that its in the right place.

Cramping is so bad that i cant sleep, move, sit, etc

Please tell me its going to get better, im on verge of pulling it out myself.

Please don’t take it out yourself.
Personally if It was me, I would definitely get it checked out, that is bad that the doctor won’t check you out. Is there a clinic near you that could do it? Or keep persisting with the doctors maybe, or trip down to the hospital as a last resort. I hope you feel better soon and get it sorted :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like