Languages

I love the french and spanish language and found those languages the easiest to learn.

No disrespect gunther but i really do not like the german language (to learn) and found it wasnt to my liking at school.

A few years ago now, i learnt a bit of Farsi .. wish i had continued as i had got to grips with the basic language and began to read basic words.

I love languages and im a quick learner but have no way of practising it.

dee I would say german isnt an attractive language in itself (it sounds angry most of the time) but the people are very soulful and thoughtful and it comes out in the language. Italian is in my opinion the most beautiful but the people very superficial.

gunther wrote:

Lavelia what is "To be or not to be, that is the question" in Czech? I am making a collection lol

Být nebo nebýt, to je otázka.

gunther wrote:

Lavelia what is "To be or not to be, that is the question" in Czech? I am making a collection lol

Gunther, you know Hamlet has been translated into Klingon, right?

Laveila wrote:

gunther wrote:

Thanks Laveila

That is close to polish isnt it?

Phonetically I was told in Polish (which I cannot write) it is bych abonya bych otto yets petanya

gunther wrote:

Laveila wrote:

gunther wrote:

Thanks Laveila

That is close to polish isnt it?

Phonetically I was told in Polish (which I cannot write) it is bych abonya bych otto yets petanya

Polish and Czech are both slavic languages. And belonging to the Western Slavic languages, but both languages are different. Czech and Slovak are much closer compared to Czech and Polish. I can understand Slovac perfectly, both spoken and written, but I cannot do the same with the Polish.

Thanks Lavelia

I only had 3 days in Chomotov which was nice and 3 months in Russia i would love to now some more but at the moment it is a closed world, thereare two polish barmaids here I love to hear then chating together,,,,but cant understand a single word

this is my favourite in English, it is impossible for me to remember it and quote I think because it was written by a woman it shows the difference in thoughts and cadence

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of being and ideal grace. I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for right. I love thee purely, as they turn from praise. I love thee with the passion put to use In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith. I love thee with a love I seemed to lose With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath, Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death.

gunther wrote:

Thanks Lavelia

I only had 3 days in Chomotov which was nice and 3 months in Russia i would love to now some more but at the moment it is a closed world, thereare two polish barmaids here I love to hear then chating together,,,,but cant understand a single word

I guess Slavic languages can sound bit similar, and they bit are. I can understand single words from Russian and I could understand Romanian, which is bit mix of slavic languages with some latin elements in it and I know both. But all slavic languages are different.

Czech and Slovac are rather close. Basically Czech stopped to almost exist during the Habsburgs reing. And it was recostructed from the 16th century Czech, at a time when it was almost gone in the 19th century. Slovac came from the same situation. and considering we spent most of the existence of modern languages in one state... Both languages were closely influenced. Actually I am partly Slovac, which would explain why I am fluent in understanding - some of the younger generation cannot do even that-, but I cannot speak it

As a Scot we have corrupted the English language (though no more than Tyneside or Merseyside etc I suppose.

One of my favourites scots sayings is

Caw canny but caw awa

Translation

Proceed carefully, but proceed anyway.

Good advice for the soulfull and the lovesick (and I suppose life in generally)

I like the sound of it in scots better though

Shiny wrote:

As a Scot we have corrupted the English language (though no more than Tyneside or Merseyside etc I suppose.

I suppose I'm bias, but I don't find Merseyside a problem. Scottish and Newcastle though, cannot really understand haha

I have familly in Merseyside and if we havent spoken for a while its a struggle to understand - its usually a case of joining up the occaisionally understood word..................thats untill we've had a few pints..........a universal translator:)

Laveila wrote:

I guess Slavic languages can sound bit similar, and they bit are. I can understand single words from Russian and I could understand Romanian, which is bit mix of slavic languages with some latin elements in it and I know both. But all slavic languages are different.

Czech and Slovac are rather close. Basically Czech stopped to almost exist during the Habsburgs reing. And it was recostructed from the 16th century Czech, at a time when it was almost gone in the 19th century. Slovac came from the same situation. and considering we spent most of the existence of modern languages in one state... Both languages were closely influenced. Actually I am partly Slovac, which would explain why I am fluent in understanding - some of the younger generation cannot do even that-, but I cannot speak it

there is a guy here from Rumania, I speak with him in Italian, rumanian and Italian are very close

Shiny wrote:

You do not speak English and strangely amongst foreigners you are proud that you dont, and that no one except your kith and kin understand you. Have a great time when you become independant.

And give up moaning about the English .....no chance :)

ye dinna ken me diyya

A dinna think so

Shiny wrote:

A dinna think so

I met a guy in Hamilton who was so proud to say "ya dinna ken me"...then his mate who was built like the guy on the scots porridge oats packet picked him up under his arm and carried him out of the bar like a naughty schoolboy.

Im still laughing at the sight of his legs waggling in the air

The distribution of the use of "ken" is strange. Used in Ayreshire and Stirling/Falkirk etc....bypasses Glasgow completely

Ken comes from the German "kennen" (to understand) whilst proudly boasting of their scots dialect they are actually speaking German or more correctly I should say Saxon.