Do we have any Portuguese speakers on the forums?

If so I need some assistance and would realllllly appreciate if you could add me so we can chat.

Ta x

i know some TT even though I dont myself since they are colleagues if its not sex related I may be able to help

added you

Naa not sex related just want to attempt to mildly impress a portuguese speaking lady with a basic phrase or two..google has supplied a few answers and just don't know the best to use. Ta

dunno if I can help the portugese speaker is a German lady so maybe they react differently (German women are very special)

Haha no worries, I'm starting to learn that Brazillian Portuguese (which is what I'm going for) is slightly different to regular Portuguese anyway..thanks anyway, I shall proceed with Googling

she speaks Brazilian portugese because she deals with Brazil not Portugal

Itaalians find "light of my eyes" enchanting luccia dei mei ochii (my spelling is merdo)

Ah well if, and don't worry if it's not an option (we have a portuguese lady at work but there's no way I'd ask her), you get a chance can you ask her which of the following is correct: "Oi bonita", "Oi beleza" or "Oi linda" for a lady you are attempting to woo, or how you would concatenate "Oi bonita" and "Você tem os olhos bonitos " into just "Oi olhos bonita"

from experience TT people find grammatical mistakes by foreigners rather cute and attractive, i wouldnt worry about it just go for it lol

the german lady here is 26 I am 52 I would cause an uproar here asking her that

gunther wrote:

from experience TT people find grammatical mistakes by foreigners rather cute and attractive, i wouldnt worry about it just go for it lol

the german lady here is 26 I am 52 I would cause an uproar here asking her that

hahah fair enough, the Portuguese lady here is roughly the same age as me but if I ask her it'd spread round the office so no chance! and yes I think you are correct, I'll go with "Oi olhos bonitas" ta very much.

edit: Google translate concurs

Be careful with google translate it's not always correct. You could get yourself a dictionary or phrase book.

Just learn something simple like "hello beautiful" you big soppy fool just kidding love you lots!! xx

dotdashdot wrote:

Be careful with google translate it's not always correct. You could get yourself a dictionary or phrase book.

Just learn something simple like "hello beautiful" you big soppy fool just kidding love you lots!! xx

Haha I was wondering if you'd pick up on this thread and diss me love you lots too mw, I am trying so hard to muster up the energy to start writing my appraisal at work (have to have it done by tomorrow!), I'd rather be writing to you I really would but I guess I had better crack on with that for now you'll have me all to yourself this evening though.xx

and yea I know about the google translate misnomers lol but "oi olhos bonitas" seems to be the correct phrase

TTurtle wrote:

dotdashdot wrote:

Haha I was wondering if you'd pick up on this thread and diss me love you lots too mw, I am trying so hard to muster up the energy to start writing my appraisal at work (have to have it done by tomorrow!), I'd rather be writing to you I really would but I guess I had better crack on with that for now you'll have me all to yourself this evening though.xx

and yea I know about the google translate misnomers lol but "oi olhos bonitas" seems to be the correct phrase

No messaging me until that appraisal is done okay! I'm meant to be writing my essay but I am sooo tired! Got about 1 hour sleep last night before I got called out and didn't get back in until 10 this morning. Had a few hours sleep but feel like a total zombie!

Well there you go, keep it simple I think she'll like that :P xx

Oi linda is the one to use. I know quite a few brazilian portuguese speakers and it is always oi linda never bonita. I hope that helps. I love being chatted up in portuguese, it gives an extra thrill.

Honeytongue wrote:

Oi linda is the one to use. I know quite a few brazilian portuguese speakers and it is always oi linda never bonita. I hope that helps. I love being chatted up in portuguese, it gives an extra thrill.

Oh wow thank you I was wondering whether to use linda or bonita

edit: yes "olhos lindos" gives a much better google search..though I don't know whether to say lindos or lindas, I don't want to go telling her she has pretty manly eyes haha

I can help.

But there is another problem, pronounciation.
Luckily there is an easy solution for that too. Just use the free text to speech at: http://imtranslator.net/translate-and-speak/speak/portuguese/

You just type in the text (in the box above the woman's face) and then press the long blue button just above. Wait a bit and then you'll hear a lady's voice speaking out your text.

You can even select the speech speed, so you can hear it properly.
Here is a useful trick, to hear each word properly just place a comma between each word. And if there is a word you're struggling with just type in that word multiple times with a comma between every one.

Thanks Roman Hands :) I've been using this site:

http://www.forvo.com/languages/pt/

which is great since you get to hear real people pronouncing the words, I think I've got it down and in the very least she'll realise what I'm trying to get at. Confirmed you as a friend :)

best way to break the ice is to make a real faux pas and get her to teach you what is correct

gunther wrote:

best way to break the ice is to make a real faux pas and get her to teach you what is correct

ha yes not a bad idea but in this instance (I don't particularly wish to expand on the situation but lets just say it's not an entirely ordinary one...) there is little ice to break and I guess showing that I've made the effort to get it down near as damn possible may help (but still...the chances of it developing into something 'real' sit at about ooh 5% maybe).

Anyway thank you for all your helps it's been much appreciated and Roman Hands put the final piece of the puzzle in earlier, so I'll let you know how it goes sometime next week

on a related note, after doing a bit of general reading and phrase finding, it's quite a beautiful language and I may just learn it for the hell of it

it has a lot in common with french and italian, when my brazilian colleagues get stuck with a word I usually can figure it out from those languages

gunther wrote:

it has a lot in common with french and italian, when my brazilian colleagues get stuck with a word I usually can figure it out from those languages

All derived from Latin I guess, Spanish is fairly similar too