LH Secret Santa?

I usually hate the whole secret santa thing we get roped into at work. You know how it works... eveyone who wants to take part puts their name in a box, everyone draws out a name at random and you have to annonymously buy a gift under £10 for that person.

In exchange you recieve a gift of similar value from someone who you don't know. You end up buying something for someone that you don't know, don't like and have no idea what to get for them, and you recieve something you don't like or want from someone who doesn't know you or know what you like.

However wouldn't it be GREAT if we could have a lovehoney forum members secret santa where people who wanted to take part submitted their user name to a data base, then recieved a forum user name by e-mail of someone to buy for and to see what to buy that person everyone taking part creates a secret santa wish list of items up to £10.This way we all enjoy the festive joy of giving a gift and the pleasure of recieving a LH gift .. and everyone only spends a TENNER!!! :-)

I'm rubbish at technology knowlege, but If this is somehow possible through the site can one of the Love Honey Employees look into it pleeeeaseee!!!! xx

We had a thread on here a couple of weeks ago.. type secret santa in the forum search and you will see the replies.

Found it

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-toys/591785-lovehoney-secret-santa/

£10 is too much for some people, we only do £5 at work!! But nice thought though x

Yeayy Thanks Dee. x

Yep, we all know how it works and like Dee said there are numerous threads on the topic already. Basically there is no way this can be done because the staff can't do it - they're too busy around Christmas and there is no way they could fit this into it :)

PinkPolkaDot wrote:

Yep, we all know how it works and like Dee said there are numerous threads on the topic already. Basically there is no way this can be done because the staff can't do it - they're too busy around Christmas and there is no way they could fit this into it :)

Boo! Oh well worth a try. Thanks PPD. x

Actually, at another forum, we do it this way:

First everyone chooses a thing (it could be for example, fruits, animals, birds, flowers, etc. - the type is chosen in advance) and sends it to an organisator (someone from the forum - they may or may not participate in the secret santa thingy). Then the organisator publishes all the chosen things in a list on the forum, for example if it was fruits, it could look like this:

apple

banana

cherry

mango

peach

strawberry

And then, after the list is ready, everyone that participates, chooses a thing (fruit in this case) and the organisator tells them the nickname of whom they should buy a present.

However, here there is no private messages section, so either the volunteer to organise this should put an email (preferably especially for this) on their profile, or they should add everyone wanting to participate as friends and communicate via the chat section - that could be tricky, though.

I don't understand that at all ^^ haha

The only problem with someone organising it is the fact that there will be a lot of people in to just to get free gifts and won't buy anyone anything in return. How are we going to chase it up? That's the issue with doing it online. The best thing to do is buy your friends and people you like on here gifts and if you're generally a nice person I'm sure you will get something in return.

I was tempted to organise it but it does seem a bit late to do it now

PinkPolkaDot, in the other forum we have done it for 3 years in a row - usually, if someone remains without a gift, it has been lost in the post, rather than not sent at all. And I believe that there could be a restriction for new users - so for example, it could be for people who have been around at least 3 months and have at least 5-10 posts or something similar to that.

And to clear the idea a bit: for example, if I am organising this, and you want to participate, you send me a fruit (let's say it is pineapple). There is a timeframe (for example 5 days) in which everyone else who wants to participate does this. Then I publish the full list (for example, it contains 15 fruits). Then there is another deadline until which you should choose a fruit from the list (not the same as before, of course). And then I (or the organisator) tell everyone who they should give a secret gift. For instance, in this example if in the beginning you chose pineapple, the one who chooses the pineapple in the second timeframe will be your Secret Santa.

I still don't get it to be honest haha. If you want to organise it then go for it, but I think it would be easier to just do it the easy way where you pick names for people out of a hat cos I don't really get the fruit idea. Fair enough if other people get it and want to do it, obviously don't change it cos of me but if you're happy to take the responsibility then start a new thread so people know what's going on so they can join in if they wish

I'm not sure the whole secret santa thing would work, it could potentially get very confusing very fast. Plus, members are going to want to buy gifts for other certain members and will, regardless of if they get them in the secret santa or not. I personally think it's just better to let people buy for the people they want :) x

Everyone can decide which way they prefer - to buy a gift for a random person - i.e. surprise for the Secret Santa as well, or to buy gifts for their friends, or both.

I guess we should make a poll - to see if there are people interested in this idea at all and how many.

Heres the main way of doing it, we all friend the person running it and send them our email addresses on the private. They then email us with the user of the person we're buying for.

The biggest problem is that its going to go horribly wrong because you'll get the odd person who will want to recieve and not give. I think I'm just going to get myself something and duck out on the secret santa.