Location specific language

There’s the whole purse/bag thing and chips/crisps. We say crisps, you call them chips. Our chips are something different, more like fries but generally thicker :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Diaper…Nappy
Binky / Soother…Dummy

1 Like

Mens pants… UK would be trousers.
In the UK men’s pants are " shorts" as in underwear.
Also the US would use " slacks". In the UK that would be trousers for old guys. Lots of ball room , with very high waist band.

2 Likes

Fringe/bangs

1 Like

Shopping Trolley…Cart
Bum Bag…Fanny Pack
Pushchair…Stroller
Mobile Phone…Cell Phone
Rubbish…Trash
Bin…Trash Can

2 Likes

Hey Brenna :grin:

Yeah they were either plimsolls or daps :joy:

Cob! We have people at work call them batches but as I point out a batch is a lot of cobs!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

One Americanism I don’t get is Horse"BACK" riding!! I mean where else you going to ride a horse on!? :grin::grin::grin:

4 Likes

Or pumps!

2 Likes

ZZ Top-Legs “She’s got legs right up to her fanny” caused a titter over here when it was all over the radio!

Also U.S. fanny pack is a bum bag over here!

1 Like

Highway, the spelling of things too - aluminum, program, color…

Diapers, chips, candy, pants, sneakers all different have different meanings here :blush:

1 Like

Lol have you NOT tried just clinging onto their front right leg to see how it goes??

I kid of course :stuck_out_tongue: You’re right that the only place to ride a horse is on its back :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m curious what “sneakers” means in the UK…

We say trousers :jeans: you say Pants :briefs:!
We say pants :briefs: you say underwear :smile:

Also what exactly is a corndog?! Lol

2 Likes

US: Eggplant :eggplant:
UK: Aubergine :eggplant:
US: cilantro
UK: Coriander
US: ball python :snake:
UK: royal python :crown::snake:

US uses the term Ya’ll quite often.

2 Likes

Definitely US uses “Ya’ll”. But for educational purposes it’s specifically a “southern” term. “Southern” being the southeast and south central US like Texas. Not sure if Florida is on the Ya’ll bandwagon or not

1 Like

We don’t use sneakers, it was a bad example haha, they’re trainers here. Runners in Ireland too I believe, well that’s what my friend calls them.

We have biscuits and cookies here but biscuits in the US I think are something different! You definitely wouldn’t want UK biscuits with gravy! :joy:

4 Likes

US biscuits are basically scones :grin:

2 Likes

I’d probably try digestives dipped in gravy! US gravy is different too, not the average Bisto.

1 Like