Scottish slang and phrases have a guess

Im bored and was wondering can any of you non Scottish folk tell me what these words meen in certain places of the land of bad weather and the one legged haggis.

I

Day ken

Las

Were all tam jocks bairns (I think thats how it goes)

Bairn

Wayn

fain

gless

min

gees that ur al smash yi

yi

gonay nay day that

ya big jessie

( Note almost every place in Scotland has its own take on such words and are almost exclusively used by the working class folk such as ma sell ) Please only try this if you have never been in scotland.

Oh and a word of warning never try to tell a scottsman the English started haggis just dont I have seen bloodshed over said argument mainly because the place I live but just be careful.

Whoever gets the most right I will buy them a pint from the LH arms

Oops sorry thats suposed to be gees that u or al smah yi

Bairn = Child/Kid I think?

ya big jessie that means the same in Manchester!!

lol you actually got it my oh just lost a quid thatss a pound by the way

& I think this - gees that u or al smah yi = get us that you or I'll smack you?

I think Day ken means Do You know.

glitter&gold wrote:

External Media

& I think this - gees that u or al smah yi = get us that you or I'll smack you?

Wilkibo wrote:

I think Day ken means Do You know.

oh close but nay cigar

day ken = dont know

gees that u or al smash yi = give me that you or I will and smash pretty much means batter if you know what that is

yi =you

las=girl

ya big jessie= you big wimp (or other words meaning such cowerdice)

crag630 wrote:

Im bored and was wondering can any of you non Scottish folk tell me what these words meen in certain places of the land of bad weather and the one legged haggis.

I = yes

Day ken = don't know

Las = girl?

Were all tam jocks bairns (I think thats how it goes) = er...cant' remember...

Bairn = child

Wayn = child

fain = fine

gless = glass?

min = mine?

gees that ur al smash yi = give me that or i'll hit you...

yi = you

gonay nay day that = going to not do that

ya big jessie = you big wimp

( Note almost every place in Scotland has its own take on such words and are almost exclusively used by the working class folk such as ma sell ) Please only try this if you have never been in scotland.

Oh and a word of warning never try to tell a scottsman the English started haggis just dont I have seen bloodshed over said argument mainly because the place I live but just be careful.

Er, think that's probably mostly reet. Ok, aaaight, I'm northern and use most of them mysel', and I love scots cos some of them can out-drink me. Well, ok, so I don't drink as much nowadays.

Doug wrote:

yi =you

las=girl

ya big jessie= you big wimp (or other words meaning such cowerdice)

you got um all right though jessie is more specifically a glasgow term

Were all tam jocks bairns (I think thats how it goes) = we're old friends?

mr boob its gid tay no am nay the only scottsmen who dusnay want tay bash all the English.

No mr boob it basically means sumething along the lines of were all the same

I like Scots.

really are you English too

What about The Weedge???

Because the way the sterotype go'es around here I thought you all still loved to mock us while singing songs about that posh old women you call the queen wow cant wait to rub this in my dads face he's as anti England as they come but this is not the place to discuss such things

What the welsh they must hate the English they dont even get to moan about not having independance in the way we do

crag630 wrote:

I

Day ken

Las

Were all tam jocks bairns (I think thats how it goes)

Bairn

Wayn

fain

gless

min

gees that ur al smash yi

yi

gonay nay day that

ya big jessie

Ok going to guess before reading replies.

Ken I know means "know" so I'd assume day ken = do you know?

Bairn is baby/child

Yi would be you?

Ya big jessie I'd assume means you're a wimp

I'd like to start a Derbyshire version of this! People look at me "gone out" when I say t' word "mardy" or say I'm going "ar ahse" via the "jitty".

Adx

Derbyshire is that in England sounds like one of them quiet country farm places/